“Not 5 star service, not impressed” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay

The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Half Moon Bay
Usa, Japan
“Not 5 star service, not impressed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Ok, so I'm sitting here at the hotel right now writting this.
The property is nice and the views are amazing. The rooms are decorated well but small. I have a fire pit ocean view room on the 1st floor and it's smaller than some courtyard Marriott.
Unfortunately the service isn't up to par with the class this hotel is.
I want to state that some did do a good job but some needs improvement or a new job.

I checked in first when arriving, after getting my room, I went back to get my luggage from my car, I ask for help from the valet. He then ask my last name then writes it on a small paper hands me the half and tells me to go back to the check in desk and give this to them...

I was just at the check desk and just want to go to my room. Is that 5 star service?

I then called for a foldout bed and some extra pillows... What do they give me? A foldout and one pillow...

I asked for a late check out since my flight is leaving later that day and the front desk tells me we can't help you with that.

This is my second stay and usually they will give kids some beach toys to use.. Not this time the concierge tell me I can buy some at their store..

I seriously had better service in the Hampton inn I stayed at in Sacramento.

If your thinking about booking a stay here, find somewhere else you can spend your $800 per night at.

Specially if you don't book a ocean view room

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank allstart1234
Ritz-CarltonHMB, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear Atropene,

Thank you for taking time out of your stay to write a review. We are very concerned by your feedback and regret that you encountered multiple instances of less-than-exceptional service. It sounds as though you enjoyed our unique oceanfront setting and views, but are understandably disappointed that our ladies and gentlemen failed to go above and beyond. We hold ourselves to high standards, and you are right to expect the best. Someday soon, we hope to have another opportunity to earn back your trust. If there is anything we can do at this time to make things right, please feel free to contact us directly by calling 602-712-7001.

The Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (487)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Los Altos, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

My husband and I attended a meeting here and got to spend the night. The service here is fabulous! You even get a free glass of wine when you check in in the afternoon. The setting is, of course, beautiful, right on the ocean. Our room on the 6th floor didn't face the ocean but had a beautiful view of the golf course. We had breakfast, lunch and dinner at the hotel and each meal was wonderful! They pay a lot of attention to detail and presentation, and the food itself was delicious. There were lots of people there that weekend but things moved very smoothly. And the bagpiper playing outside as the sun goes down over the ocean is unforgettable. I can't say enough nice things about this hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

I spent a five-day visit at this hotel. The amazing, scenic views are worth the visit for sure. The rooms are beautiful and the service was acceptable. I spent time in the spa having a message and a mani/pedi - which were amazing and wonderful. What disappoints me is upon check-in, we pointed out that we were celebrating our 10th anniversary, and also we are Platinum members which would allow us an upgrade if possible, and we were told that all of the other rooms were "fully committed." Now we were traveling with a group and there was a reduced group rate, and I certainly would have understood if the desk staff were prohibited from upgrading for Platinum members in that situation. However, that is not what we were told. We were told the rooms (with a terrace or a terrace with a fire pit, we just wanted outdoor space we didn't care if it was ocean view or not), we were told all of those rooms were "fully committed." Well, I checked online when we got to our room and found that there was ample availability of those room types. By the end of the weekend the hotel was actually fully booked. However, it was not when we checked in and was showing availability at that time for the entire weekend. Despite being lied to, we still had a glorious weekend - but I'm giving this poor review because we were lied to and that is unacceptable. Also, my husband is a tall man and the shower head was so low he had to lean in the shower, and our toiletries were not replenished every day as they should have been.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MarriottTraveler08
Ritz-CarltonHMB, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear Marriott Traveler08,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. We are honored that you chose to spend such a special occasion with us, and wish you the very best in your 10th year of marriage. It sounds like you enjoyed our beautiful setting, luxurious accommodations, and exceptional spa treatments, but we regret to learn that your stay wasn't completely satisfactory. We certainly apologize for any miscommunication you may have experience during your stay. We are always more than happy to provide upgrades whenever possible, and we will be addressing your concerns with our ladies and gentlemen. If there is anything else we can do at this time to be of service, please don't hesitate to contact our Executive Office directly by calling 650-712-7001.

The Executive Office of The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay
Reno, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

The view at this hotel is amazing, overlooking the Pacific Ocean and with amazing sunsets if the weather is nice. We were there Easter weekend which is the busiest weekend of the year. The place was packed, not just with people staying in the rooms but also with day visitors. Easter brunch is an unforgettable experience. There are also activities for the kids (Easter bunny, egg hunt, petting zoo).

The spa is very comfortable. The resort fee not only gives access to the spa, but to the indoor 25 yard pool and fitness center which are not in the hotel.

Cost is already high, and is inflated for Easter weekend. Very difficult to find outdoor seating in the afternoons and evenings.

The food (apart from the Easter brunch at Navio) was good but not great, certainly not comparable to the price.

Just a short walk to the beach which was nice for the kids. The valets stored my bike so that it was very easy for me to go for a couple road rides while we were there.

Our only complaint (and it was a pain) was that we were put in a fireplace terrace room (as requested) but the room we got was immediately adjacent to the public restroom used by every single person playing golf (and many others) for the whole weekend. Our children are younger and this made it nearly impossible for them to get a nap. The hotel staff gave us a credit for this and that was admirable, but it was still a problem which got much better when most of the visitors went home Sunday evening. We also had groups of adults partying outside their room (and ours as they were immediately adjacent) until after midnight.

Room Tip: Stay away from the firepit terrace room at the southwest corner of the property
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

This was one of the nicest hotel venues I have seen in the US. The staff is wonderful. Here is some very good advice. The rooms are very expensive, along with all the food. I recommend staying on the 5th floor to be able to use the executive lounge. It costs $100 per day per person, but you have access to all the food and wine you want. This is a much better deal than eating and drinking in the dinning room and outside by the fire pits. You can take the wine from the lounge down to the area anyway. They have a limited number of reservations for this floor, but I can assure you it is well worth it. Also, the cost to park the car is $45 per day. Call the hotel and they will provide a cab or limo. The service was very good and it was $80 for the trip. We did a couple of day trips and the most economical way is to rent the Hertz from the hotel that will be delivered- It is about $90 per day, but you will save the $45 parking fee. This is a wonderful hotel - it must be since so many drive up from San Fran for dinner or stay there for the weekend - it is a nice compliment for so many to do this. Andrea in the 5th floor concierge is wonderful and Chris at the front door could not be more helpful - they are really obsessed with guest services.....and could teach a class in it.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
Falmouth, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

I have been to a few ritz Carleton hotels, but this one fell a little bit short. The location is superb! Right on the ocean and a golf course with a lovely terrace filled with gas fire pits. The problem is that the second floor where our room was was under the kitchen. It got quite noisy. There wasn't anywhere to grab a cup of coffee or cookie etc for a snack.

Room Tip: Do t stay on the second floor!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Ritz-CarltonHMB, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear mugsmom,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at the Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay. Though it was our pleasure to serve you, we are disappointed to learn your expectations weren’t quite met. As a frequent guest of Ritz-Carlton luxury hotels, you’re no doubt familiar with the standard of excellence we strive to achieve for every guest.

As part of those efforts, our front desk staff can generally accommodate room-change requests. We apologize for the uncharacteristic noise during your stay, but encourage you to contact us should any issues arise in the future. Also, we are sorry to hear you had trouble locating coffee and a quick bite to eat. In addition to Navio, which opens for breakfast at 6:30am daily, we do offer room service. And in our Club Lounge, continuous complimentary food and beverage offerings are served throughout the day.

We hope to have another chance to welcome you back and show you just how memorable a stay at our hotel can be.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

We booked this hotel for 1 day; for the money, this hotel is absolutely horrible. Our experience started with checkin (we had requested late checkin as we would arrive late). Front desk communication was poor and generally uninterested. When we asked about Dinner, the response was "we are busy tonight" - nobody gives this kind of a response when checking in. Next, we get to the room and find that the room is not fully cleaned up (trash on the sofa, bathroom looks recently used - and all this after a late check in. We call the Front desk and the response after a couple of unsympathetic "sorry"s, was that they can put us in another room while they clean the one assigned. And they offer a $300 resort credit which we cannot use. Finally, I call the room service for in-room dining - again, the response was pathetic; after a 15 minute wait, i get to speak to someone who had absolutely no interest in helping us. We are vegetarians and was looking for some help with vegetarian options - the fellow on the phone says "what you see on the menu is what you get" ; i had to spend a few minutes coaxing him to get us a simple pasta with some vegetables. Finally we learn that we are in a room where people inn neighboring rooms are smoking cigars and stinking up the whole place.

For the brand of Ritz Carlton, this was one of the worst places I have ever stayed in.

I don't believe the staff was just poorly trained - they just had poor attitude in general.

As for us, we are striking this from our list of hotels.

Room Tip: if you still want to stay here, make sure you ask for a room where there is no smoking - cigars or c...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Vidyaranya A
Dear Vidyaranya A,

We greatly appreciate your detailed feedback and it has been shared with our senior leaders here at the resort. It is always disheartening to hear that our guests have not fully enjoyed their stay with us. We want to ensure that we thoroughly understand our inconsistencies so we can make this right for you. We would enjoy the opportunity to discuss your experience further. Please contact our Executive Office directly at 650-712-7001 at your convenience.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Half Moon Bay
The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco
#6 of 227 in San Francisco
Harbor View Inn
#8 of 8 in Half Moon Bay

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay? Share your experiences!