“Ritz Carlton Half Moon Bay”

The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Half Moon Bay
Los Angeles, California
“Ritz Carlton Half Moon Bay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2009

Excellent hotel of course. Great firepits with hot chocolate and smore available. The gym was great and, hotel dining outstanding. Sam's Cowder House a few miles north is a great place to eat also.

Stayed April 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (494)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sacramento
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2009

There is no doubt this is a fine property. You do get the feeling that you're missing something if you don't golf. Perhaps this is a destination best suited for golfers who made their sales quotas. Don't get the impression that this is a spa atmosphere. Leave your robe behind when trekking to the pool- you'll be dodging golf carts.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mblar
San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2009

I have spent plenty of time at the Ritz Carlton/Four Seasons/St. Regis and have come to the conclusion that it's usually not at all worth it because it turns into a kind of generic experience, plus they tend to nickle and dime you to death. That I said, I brought the kids to the RC at HMB mid-week for a last minute night away from the city. Such a deal. Anyhow, I was pleasantly surprised. The location is really beautiful and the rooms are quite nice. The main let down was the pool. Plus you HAVE to valet park.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
BermudaMike
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2009

Really great location, room was a bit ordinary, I expected better... The window was smaller than I expected and although pleasant was a bit small & 'pokey' for $500 per night! The bathroom was nice but again I've seen better in the $500 per night category...The $100.00 haircut was also a bit ordinary for the cost!
The service was good, I can recommend the Club level. The grounds and premises were OK The beach was disappointing, rocky & not really inviting & the water & weather there is too cold to enjoy the beach...
The car parking fee was really a rip-off, at $45 per day it's more expensive than Manhattan & London, UK and LOTS of other big cities. This hotel is a mixture of nice & disappointing but overall I enjoyed my stay and would probably stay again if I was in Half Moon Bay.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BermudaMike
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2009

We returned to the beautiful Ritz Carlton in Half Moon Bay to again celebrate our 36th wedding anniversary (8/1 - 4). From the moment we arrived we were treated as honored guests. Pearl at the front desk took excellent care of us, placing us in an amazing room. The highlight for us, in addition to the breathtaking oceanside location and all it has to offer (including the bagpiper, firepits, and great food) was access to the fabulous Club Room. Go for it if you can. Their numerous food presentations were amazing, 5th fl. views incredible and the service excellent! Judy was very helpful, friendly and gracious to us. We never left the hotel and grounds but took full advantage of all options there were right there. We shall return!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2009

My fiancee surprised me with a trip to the Half Moon Bay and I have to say that I was more than impressed. It was a special trip (we flew out from our home in Washington DC) as we were getting engaged. They gave us a beautiful room with a balcony overlooking the water and they treated us like we were there for something special, we even received a congratulations card as well as a lovely complimentary dessert at the end of our meal at Nuvio. The accomodations were lovely and I was so impressed with the room and the bathroom. I especially appreciated the great toiletries (Bulgari, one of my favorites). The food was excellent, the spa treatments and facilities were amazing, and the service was fantastic. I highly recommend this hotel and hope to return soon.

• Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2009

Bottom line = beautiful location, good spa, dreadful service, average rooms.
I've staying in a number of Ritz hotels and loved them which is why I chose this one for a very special occasion. Sadly they let me down at every turn.

Check in was disorganised - our room wasn't ready which was fine as it was only 2.45pm, we were told to have a coffee and check back in a short while. We checked back in an hour and after 10 mins of waiting at front desk received the same story. When we were eventually given our keys, there was no sign of the complimentary wine tasting promised on the website. I went back to ask once we were in the room, only to be given wine in two fithy glasses, water marks, dust and old lipstick.

I found the room nice enough but average compared to other Ritz locations and despite requesting a quiet room some months in advance, we were given the room by the ice machine which rattled and hummed at loud volume. There was garbage from the last guest on the terrace and our rose petal turn down service was forgotten.

Service at the Conservatory restaurant is haphazard at best, long waits, confusion and general lack of interest from the staff.

All in all, very disappointed. I wouldn't go back or recommend it. However the Ritz in the city was excellent.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco
#6 of 227 in San Francisco
Harbor View Inn
#8 of 8 in Half Moon Bay

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay? Share your experiences!