“NEVER AGAIN!!!”

Ranked #32 of 98 Restaurants in Half Moon Bay
Price range: US$0 - US$34
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Reviewed 4 June 2013

My husband and I go out to Half Moon Bay at least once a month. Most of the time we take my 87 year old mother with us. We always stopped at the San Benito House before we went to lunch for one of their wonderful Bloody Mary's. The last time we went there, in March, we sat down in the little seating area at the back of the bar (they used to have comfortable booths, but apparently wanted to make it more "bar-like" so they removed the booths). It was just my mother and myself. We waited for approx. 10 minutes while the bartender came around the front of the bar to hug a couple of guys who came into the bar, and continued to ignore our prescence. My mother then went to the end of the bar and stood waiting to be acknowledged. After she stood there for approximately 5 minutes (completely ignored) I told her we were leaving. EXTREMELY RUDE!!! We were fairly regular customers, had been going there for years, but apparently they don't want anyone over 40 years old in the place anymore.
I used to tell everyone to go to the San Benito House for their Bloody Marys but I WILL NEVER ENTER THE PLACE AGAIN AND NEITHER WILL ANY OF MY FAMILY OR FRIENDS!!!

1  Thank travelpeg

Reviewed 19 May 2013

I went there few times and it was perfect. But last time (May 2013) it was horrible. Bad service, food not so good, really mean. I'm so sorry. I recommended it to few people but, now, I will recommend people to stay away from it

1  Thank daniele2667
Reviewed 6 May 2013

After reading the other reviews I'm wondering what happened to make our visit less than great. There were 11 of us, all fun loving travelers. First we aren't greeted, we find a table, sit and wait. Little did we know we had to go up to the bar and order off of the big blackboard menu. (We didn't wait long....) So we line up and wait. One of our group said we were ready to order and the waitress looked like we were those annoying tourists ready to put her out and make her work. The whole ordering ordeal was slow, bills and tabs incorrect, bartender not happy with his job......so we all went outside and waited to lunch which came in bits and pieces finally. We had the fish and chips that were good but not great. The tarter sauce wasn't really as it had a 'kick' to it and I do like my tarter sauce like it should be! Wine was ok, beer was good and cold. One in our group said the burger was fantastic. Waitress never came back to ask how things were going. Granted they were having a wedding there that night but that shouldn't have affected our time there. Anyway, even tho this place was suggested to us by 2 locals, should we return we'll try the #1 ranked restaurnat in Half Moon Bay. And as we were a tour group we couldn't get to Barbara's fish and chips a couple of miles north of town.

Reviewed 14 March 2013

The owner of the Restaurant / Hotel seemed put out by us coming in to his bar for drink! There was a massive board with lists and lists of beers - giving the impression that this place had a great selection. I asked which beers were local to the area and he suggested Guiness. After finally deciding which beer to have, together with a glass of poor white wine - we were asked for 15 dollars! Adding the obligitory and underserved tip to this, it was a bad ex[perience. We were in a bar last night in the centre of downtown San Franciso and the same rouhnd was 5 dollars less.

1  Thank Matt H
Reviewed 7 March 2013

If you're looking for a wine-tasting, go elsewhere. The beer on tap is fantastic, the margarita was lovingly made and potent. The juke box is country and the bar food is the munchies you love and aren't part of any diet. The folks are friendly and it was a gas having a drink there.