“A Great Place To Grab A Beer in Half Moon Bay & Is Dog Friendly” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of San Benito House

San Benito House
Ranked #31 of 97 Restaurants in Half Moon Bay
Price range: US$0 - US$34
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Cheap Eats
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television
Napa, California
“A Great Place To Grab A Beer in Half Moon Bay & Is Dog Friendly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

We absolutely loved the San Benito House! The atmosphere is excellent, with historical photos, vibrant bar scene, pool tables and a beautiful huge patio outback. The servers and bar tenders were really friendly and informative about the history of Half Moon Bay. We actually visited the bar three times during our trip, once for lunch (awesome sandwiches & calamari), once before dinner and of course once after dinner. I had the Russian IPA on tap and really enjoyed it. We loved how customers could bring their dogs on the back patio. We hope to return to San Benito House in the near future.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Elyria, Ohio
“BIG Sandwiches”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

Acouple of weeks ago My wife and I were in San Francisco and decided to drive over to Half Moon Bay. It is a short drive and we always seem to go to Half Moon Bay when we are in San Francisco. We got there about lunch time and parked at the north end of town. The first restaurant we came across was the San Benito House. It appears to have been there a long time and had plenty of customers so we thought we would give it a try. We sat at a booth in the back whick appeared to also be the pool room with an old pool table. We asked the waiter if the sandwiches were big enough to feed two people and he said yes. They were a little under staffed but we were waited on and the food didn't take to long.We shared a Club Sandwich and fries and had plenty to eat. It was clean and the food was good. We will go back there again!

• Visited July 2013
Hayward, CA
“NEVER AGAIN!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2013

My husband and I go out to Half Moon Bay at least once a month. Most of the time we take my 87 year old mother with us. We always stopped at the San Benito House before we went to lunch for one of their wonderful Bloody Mary's. The last time we went there, in March, we sat down in the little seating area at the back of the bar (they used to have comfortable booths, but apparently wanted to make it more "bar-like" so they removed the booths). It was just my mother and myself. We waited for approx. 10 minutes while the bartender came around the front of the bar to hug a couple of guys who came into the bar, and continued to ignore our prescence. My mother then went to the end of the bar and stood waiting to be acknowledged. After she stood there for approximately 5 minutes (completely ignored) I told her we were leaving. EXTREMELY RUDE!!! We were fairly regular customers, had been going there for years, but apparently they don't want anyone over 40 years old in the place anymore.
I used to tell everyone to go to the San Benito House for their Bloody Marys but I WILL NEVER ENTER THE PLACE AGAIN AND NEITHER WILL ANY OF MY FAMILY OR FRIENDS!!!

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank travelpeg
San Carlos, California
“New owners or just a bad day?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2013

I went there few times and it was perfect. But last time (May 2013) it was horrible. Bad service, food not so good, really mean. I'm so sorry. I recommended it to few people but, now, I will recommend people to stay away from it

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank daniele2667
turlock, california
“Overworked. Understaffed.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2013

After reading the other reviews I'm wondering what happened to make our visit less than great. There were 11 of us, all fun loving travelers. First we aren't greeted, we find a table, sit and wait. Little did we know we had to go up to the bar and order off of the big blackboard menu. (We didn't wait long....) So we line up and wait. One of our group said we were ready to order and the waitress looked like we were those annoying tourists ready to put her out and make her work. The whole ordering ordeal was slow, bills and tabs incorrect, bartender not happy with his job......so we all went outside and waited to lunch which came in bits and pieces finally. We had the fish and chips that were good but not great. The tarter sauce wasn't really as it had a 'kick' to it and I do like my tarter sauce like it should be! Wine was ok, beer was good and cold. One in our group said the burger was fantastic. Waitress never came back to ask how things were going. Granted they were having a wedding there that night but that shouldn't have affected our time there. Anyway, even tho this place was suggested to us by 2 locals, should we return we'll try the #1 ranked restaurnat in Half Moon Bay. And as we were a tour group we couldn't get to Barbara's fish and chips a couple of miles north of town.

• Visited May 2013