“To uncomfortable”
Review of Half Moon Bay Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Half Moon Bay
Half Moon Bay Inn
Ranked #6 of 11 Half Moon Bay B&B and Inns
“To uncomfortable”
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

It was a warm day, unusual perhaps, but that made this stay uncomfortable. No AC, no vent in the bathroom (so humid after a shower you couldn't breathe), huge AC unit right outside the window that ran until midnight (no AC meant we had to have the lone window open); but the worst was the "music" from the kitchen crew below. Loud and booming until after they went home.

This hotel is not cheap, and it looks cute, but we have to have our comfort first. Never coming back.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Richard N
hmbinn, Owner at Half Moon Bay Inn, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
I'm sorry you were uncomfortable staying at the Half Moon Bay inn. Normally, Half Moon Bay is cooler than the rare temperature you experienced. Our building was built in the 1930's and although completely renovated, with our guest's cofort in mind, we do not have AC because it is rarely needed. For those rare days, we do have fan's. Your particular room has an over head plantation fan/light. I have addressed the owner of the restaurant to remind her staff to turn off the music by 10 PM and she has sent out a reminder to her staff reinforcing that issue. Also, the unit outside your window is for the restaurant's ventilation system for their oven that should have been turned off as soon as their kitchen closes. The room you stayed in is the least expensive room for that reason. All of the other rooms in the building are not affected by the restaurant's ventilator. If you do decide to come back to stay with us, I would recommend any other room for your ultimate comfort.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Nevada
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Located right in the old part of town, which has quaint shops and interesting restaurants ,book
stores and is perfect for nice stroll.
We were on a walking vacation from San Francisco to Half Moon Bay.
This was the perfect ending to perfect trip. We didn't have a car and needed to rely on public transportation back to the city. We were walking distance from the bus stop for the #17 bus
to Daly City and Bart station to San Francisco. Perfect, easy and inexpensive.

We stayed in Piccola Stanza room which is small but cozy in fun way. We did hear some noise from adjoining restaurant but it wasn't bothersome, however, on weekend it might be worse or go on longer.
Coffee and tea are available in the hallway. Free reading materials available. WiFi was good.

We love having a glass of wine on arrival and it felt like visiting friends rather than checking into a hotel.
I thought it was perfect and am glad I made it my choice!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mistravel
Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Booked two rounds of golf at HMB old course and ocean course as part of a play and stay package. Golf was top notch but the stay at HMB Inn was disappointing. Rooms directly above the restaurant make for poor and VERY noisy night(s) rest. The late night noise from the restaurant to the loud clanging of pots and pans and furniture being slid around the hardwood flooring during clean up time to the early morning daily delivery trucks (5am) unloading food to the restaurant made for limited two nights rest. Rooms were clean/nice/small but would much rather spring the extra $$$$ and stay at the Ritz Carlton at the golf course....oh well lesson learned. Next time.

• Stayed October 2013
4 Thank Gregg E
hmbinn, Owner at Half Moon Bay Inn, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
I'm so sorry that we did not meet your expectations. We are located in the heart of our small downtown area and have no control over the sounds that disturbed you. We do have other rooms that are located away from the street noise. We do our best to insure a pleasant stay for our guests. I hope that you will stay with us again in an interior room.
Garland, Texas, United States
Reviewed 28 July 2013

So Romantic! I loved this inn. My Husband and I stayed here on an anniversary trip and LOVED it. Everything was clean and comfortable. We ate at the little italian restaurant right there and it was beautiful- and yummy. The little town is quaint- we were there in October 2011 during their pumpkin festival and the beach is only a few miles away.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Hillary A
Roseville, California
Reviewed 25 July 2013

We were looking for a clean, safe, reasonably priced and dog friendly place to stay in half moon bay. The HMB Inn fit the bill. This is located right on Main St close to restaurants and some shopping. We stayed in the Piccola Stanza room #6 which is their smallest room but was comfy. Here are some thing worth mentioning.

They provided very nice dishes for our dog as well as a nice dog bed for the room. She loved the bed.

Room #6 bathroom window opens to the courtyard for a couple of the other rooms. I went to open the window and a man on a cell phone was staring back at me. Kind of awkward.

No bathroom fan. There is a window but you may not be able to open it - see comment above.

There is no air conditioning in the rooms so they can get stuffy in summer. The windows open but the restaurant seating is down below and the noise carries.

Bring earplugs noises carry in the hall and there is a restaurant downstairs.

The bed is very cushy and comfortable.

The provide excellent shampoo, conditioner, body wash and lotion. Also great towels.

Coffee is provided in the rooms.

All the rooms appear to be upstairs (3 flights). I didn't notice any type of elevator or disabled access.

You can park on the street or there is a lot across the st where you can park for free (just be sure and get a parking pass)

We enjoyed our stay here and would stay again. If we are staying for more than one night we woulda probably opt for a slightly bigger room.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Pixiepowered
Pleasanton, California
Reviewed 10 July 2013

I stayed here in one of their cottage suites while on business travel - but will definitely come back with my husband for a long weekend. The inn is right in downtown Half Moon Bay - convenient walking distance to all of the great shops and restaurants (i.e., no parking or driving!). I was told the suites were recently renovated and they are simply adorable. Someone very creative did the design (like a tin bucket turned upside down as a light fixture), and the suite is very thoughtfully appointed with all of the basics you'll ever need - from coffee maker to drawer dishwasher to pots and pans - even a blender! The bed is super comfy, great tv, eclectic and comfortable design - just perfect! Highly recommend it for a stay in downtown Half Moon Bay!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Lauren T
Houston, Texas, United States
Reviewed 31 May 2013

The staff was exceptionally helpful over the phone when making my reservation. I'd never been to this part of California coast before. I live in Houston. Anyway, the owner greeted me and my little Maltese upon arrival, with a friendly welcome chat. The room was lovely - especially the private enclosed upstairs patio to lounge on with a glass of wine. Everything was PERFECT and classy. Right down to the ORGANIC half and half for my freshly ground coffee the next morning!

I loved writing in and reading other entries in the bedside travel journal. I'm not the only one who loves this place!

Only small caveat - I'd been traveling for 3 wks and so had a huge, heavy suitcase. There is no elevator...and no one to help with luggage. I think most visitors are local and have a smaller, weekender suitcase.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo