“Victorian treasure”
Review of Mill Rose Inn

Mill Rose Inn
Ranked #2 of 11 Half Moon Bay B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 March 2012

The Mill Rose Inn is obviously a labor of love for its owners, from its truly beautiful garden to its recreated high-Victorian parlor. William Morris would have felt entirely at home. The inn is close to, but far enough from, the town's main street to be quiet and peaceful. Excellent cookies, fine pastries, brandy, wine and sherry in the room, a well chosen library of books and DVDs,and a fine breakfast complete the picture.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 March 2012

To be clear, I have not stayed at this place because I was so turned off by "Eve" "the owner" (as she informed me) and her attitude on the phone when I recklessly tried to make a reservation one Sunday night recently. I called around 6 pm but it sounded as though I woke her up. She answered the phone with "Hello", so I asked if it was the Mill Rose Inn, and the conversation went downhill from there.
To be succinct, she was abrupt and rude to the max. She asked questions and before I could start to answer she would cut me off. She actually told me (right before I decided to terminate the encounter), "This will go a lot better if you let me do the talking".
Although I have a credit given to me by a friend for this place, I will never stay there.
The time travelling would have been March 31st, so now it will be March 31st at another HMB B and B.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank snookie13
hmbterry, Owner at Mill Rose Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2012

I regret that we had an unsatisfactory phone conversation last weekend. The phone connection was terrible which created much of the misunderstanding. I was trying to get your number and call back in hopes of a better connection. I had difficulty hearing you and was trying my best to get all of your information so Terry, whom you had spoken with at length previously, could return your call. Terry called you almost immediately but got your answering machine. I apologize again and assure you that we would do our utmost to make your stay as wonderful as most of our guests find it to be if you decide to give us another chance.
Eve Baldwin

Reviewed 7 March 2012

A wonderful place to stay. The owners were very welcoming and very helpful with ideas on what to see in the area. They recommended a wonderful restaurant in the area for dinner and viewing the sunset along the water. They also gave us adetailed map on a very scenic route to take to San Fransico that had better views of the ocens than the standard oute of Highway One. Our room was spectacular! We had a very large sitting room decorated beautifully! And our bedroom had its own fireplace. Great stopover on your way from Monterey to SF.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kathy H
Reviewed 29 February 2012

Gardens filled with flowers in February; Bedroom suites fit for royalty; a magical place, well tended. Ideal location for that midway stop between the Monterey Peninsula and San Francisco airport, following the coast all the way. Loved it!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank MrsParke
Reviewed 26 February 2012

I travel for business, and found the Mill Rose Inn to be a wonderful alternative to the soulless chain hotels. It's a short drive to the valley, and offers a level of comfort and security that no hotel can provide the woman traveller. You can walk on the beach at sunrise and be in the office by 9am. It's like staying with a good friend that gives you the run of the house and serves up a tasty breakfast too.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Susan r
Reviewed 2 February 2012

My wife and I loved this charming bed and breakfast establishment. The room we stayed in was decorated so nice and it was very clean and tidy. The entire experience was superb. It is quiet, peaceful and restful, and only one block away from the downtown area of Main Street in Half Moon Bay where there are many excellent restaurants to choose from prior to retiring for the night. The Gardens and blooming flowers make you feel like you are in another world. The staff we encountered were friendly, kind and caring.We slept in and then enjoyed a wonderful breakfast as well. I would recommend this place to all of my friends and we are coming back again the next time to need a weekend break in Half Moon Bay!

Room Tip: All the rooms we looked at were great.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rui hua Y
Reviewed 30 January 2012

My now husband and I were looking for a place to get married. When you book the place to get married, you actually book the whole hotel.
The owner was very pushy, would not allow us to do anything "different" outside of what they have clearly been doing for the last 40 years for weddings. I wanted to put tea lights or glass candles down on the ground lining certain areas, and she said no. You are not allowed to hang flowers or anything from the old tree in the reception area. Not willing to compromise at all.
Everything is so OLD, worn, outdated. When she showed us the "bridal suite", I was in horror.
It's one thing to say that a place is old with character. This is not that place. I would not pay $400 per night to stay in this crappy place EVER.
You can spend $425 and stay up the street at the Ritz!

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple