“Perfect oasis!!!”

Ranked #2 of 11 Half Moon Bay B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Perfect oasis!!!”
Reviewed 14 May 2013

Amazing!!!! Mill Rose B&B is an absolute oasis. From the moment we checked in until we (unfortunately) had to leave Mill Rose Inn proved to be exceptional. My boyfriend and I just wanted to explore and find a calm, quaint and unusual experience. We checked in on a Sunday afternoon, famished, and were told which authentic Mexican restaurant with the best fish tacos around to try. The food melted in your mouth. That night we treated ourselves to a late night treat in the private hot tube secluded on the property via private gazebo (no extra charge!). We enjoyed the complementary wine/sherry that adorned the room too. The bed was perfect (we stayed in the Botecelli room), literally I slept perfectly. Finally, the next morning we enjoyed breakfast in bed - complimentary champagne, fresh squeezed OJ, banana nut bread, egg/artichoke frittata - seriously an incredible treat! I highly recommend Mill Rose Inn for a relaxing and romantic get away!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Zuzu32
hmbterry, Owner at Mill Rose Inn, responded to this review, 15 May 2013
We are so happy you enjoyed your stay. We really hope you can come back and stay longer next time. Warmly, Eve and Terry

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 May 2013

We made a last minute reservation at the lovely Mill Rose Inn. After walking through the beautiful English garden we were graciously welcomed by Terry who showed us to our room. The room was a bit ornate but very comfortable and included free wine and beer in the fridge and a bottle of sherry and bourbon. Terry brought up a plate of cheese and crackers which we enjoyed with our complimentary beverages. We further enjoyed the fireplace on a chilly evening. After returning from dinner at a local Japanese restaurant which was excellent and reasonably priced, we picked up a dvd from Terry's vast collection before retiring for the evening. We were given the option of breakfast in our room but instead chose to dine in the dining room where we were served a delicious, filling breakfast. There were lots of little details offered at the Mill Rose that most inns do not include. I would highly recommend the Mill Rose Inn as a nice, romantic getaway.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
hmbterry, Owner at Mill Rose Inn, responded to this review, 15 May 2013
Thank you so much, We are so glad you enjoyed your stay so much. By the way the name of the Japanese restaurant is Sushi Main Street. We are looking forward to see you again. Eve and Terry
Felton, California
Reviewed 10 April 2013

We returned to the Mill Rose Inn after 25 years to celebrate our anniversary. Had the same room and the same great service. Lots of extras and attention to detail. Loved the dessert tray in the evening. And the breakfast was terrific. Good bed. Great video selection even though we did take advantage. Very nice hot tub available for private use.

Room Tip: We love the Botticelli Room. Fairly large corner room.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
hmbterry, Owner at Mill Rose Inn, responded to this review, 12 April 2013
Thank you so much, we are so glad you decided to come back after 25 years Please don't wait 25 more years to come back.
Terry and Eve
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Stayed just one evening on our way further north and regret not taking more time. The inn is a great little place just a block off of the town center where you can find restaurants, shops, etc... Terry was quick to land us a dinner reservation and followed-up the next morning with a great breakfast in our room. The inn and grounds are beautiful and provide such a relaxing environment. We'll plan a better return allowing more time to explore the area. Terry, thanks for your hospitality and alternate route to the Golden Gate...

1 Thank tothebeat
hmbterry, Owner at Mill Rose Inn, responded to this review, 25 March 2013
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay brief though it was, thank you so much for your kind words. I hope we get to see each other again for a longer stay.
Terry
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 22 March 2013

I called the inn today to inquire about a four-night buy-out over the July 4 weekend. To my surprise and delight all six rooms were available. Less delightful was the person who answered the phone (who I later learned was the owner, Terry Baldwin).

I'm in hospitality and deal with people in the service industry every day. While there's no requirement for them to be friendly (although it helps) I do think being courteous is a must. Terry was neither. When I indicated we would like a buy-out of the inn his response was "there's no discount!" and he asked me to send him an email as he was busy checking people in. I hadn't asked for a discount but now I know how he feels about them.

So I sent an email. Terry responded but again he was abrupt. No "Dear Mr. [name], thanks for your inquiry". Just curt answers to my questions and a line about the inn not being a good fit because we had kids in our group. Maybe the inn doesn't allow children. I didn't see that on the website but I could have missed it. To his credit he did say sorry and gave me the name of a different establishment that might be able to help us.

Maybe he was having a bad day. I don't know. But I won't come back to find out nor will I send any clients his way. One strike and you're out in this business.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank SomeonesTravelAgent
hmbterry, Owner at Mill Rose Inn, responded to this review, 25 March 2013
I'm very sorry I didn't handle your request more graciously. We do allow children but due to the maximum number we can put in our room there is now way we could accommodate 5 children I did suggest some nearby places that I thought would be a better fit, but you are right I could have been more gracious.
My apologies
Terry
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 12 March 2013

First of all the place is great. You can see Terry and Eve have put a lot of time and effort in the place, it's in great shape and very clean and comfortable. It's also in a great location for walking the main strip or getting to the beach or redwoods. Breakfast was very good all four day's we stayed. Add the bonus of desserts, cheese plates and a fridge stocked daily with wine/coke/flavored waters. We would easily stay again next time without a second thought. Thank you both again for a great stay.

hmbterry, Owner at Mill Rose Inn, responded to this review, 14 March 2013
Hi cjmattoon—You're welcome! Thank you for spreading the word about us. We really appreciate it. We take great pride in making Mill Rose Inn a relaxing and welcoming place for all our guests, so it means a lot to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Hope you had a safe journey home. We'll be looking forward to your next visit!

All the best,
Terry & Eve
Oakland, California
Reviewed 12 March 2013

My husband and I needed to get away from several stressful weeks of work, and we chose to stay at the Mill Rose Inn. Although Half Moon Bay is a 45 minute ride from our house, we felt as if we had entered a world of make-believe when we arrived at the inn. Flowers, fountains and bushes decorate the building's grounds. The gardens, both in front and in back, are tranquil sanctuaries for sitting with cups of complimentary coffee or tea and a pastry, or a glass of brandy or sherry (gratis) and a fruit and cheese plate provided by Terry and Eve, the owners. A gazebo in the back garden hides the private hot tub, and at night, tiny white lights ornament the garden and the house, turning it all into a fantasy.

The fantasy continues inside the house, where you feel as if you've entered the Victorian era. The walls (and some ceilings) are covered with William Morris wallpaper, the gorgeous furniture and accessories come from other places, and the amenities at the Mill Rose Inn supersede those of any bed and breakfast or inn we've ever been to: cakes, cookies, coffee and teas are available in the stunning dining room; refrigerators in the rooms are stocked with a carafe of wine, fruit, soft drinks, beer, and seltzer (all complimentary), and on the table in the bedroom are 2 carafes, one with sherry, the other with brandy; the bed is comfortable, and the linens are lovely; the working fireplace in the bedroom creates just the right kind of coziness; and you can take DVDs that are in the dining room and watch them in the bedroom.

The breakfast was phenomenal. We were expecting something gooey and overly sweet, but were pleasantly surprised with a delicious fresh fruit salad with perfectly ripe melon, blueberries, strawberries, banana and kiwi slices, a banana-orange frappe, a glass of champagne, and something that tastes like a cross between a cheese frittata and a blintz served with a croissant.

Terry and Eve made us feel so welcome, that we're already thinking when we can go back for another mini-vacation.

1 Thank KarenLeeP
hmbterry, Owner at Mill Rose Inn, responded to this review, 14 March 2013
Dear Karen—It was a pleasure meeting you and your husband. Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to leave us a review here. We're glad we could make you feel welcome and at home at our inn. We're proud of our beautiful garden, and I'm happy to hear that you made good use of it during your stay. I hope you're now much more refreshed and relaxed! We're grateful for your support, and hope to see you and your husband again on your next getaway. Our gardens, gazebo, and hot tub will be waiting!

Warm regards,