“A special place for a wedding” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Mill Rose Inn
Ranked #3 of 11 Half Moon Bay B&B and Inns
A TripAdvisor Member
“A special place for a wedding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2006

We had our wedding celebration at the Mill Rose Inn on November 5, 2005, and it was absolutely wonderful! We chose the perfect place thanks to Eve and Terry, the owners, who made sure that they fulfilled our every request and need on our special day.
The rooms, the gardens, and the outside lighting were all so beautiful. The service was outstanding. Oh, and we can't forget to mention the delicious food they served at breakfast. (You must try the big-fat cookies which you'll find in the dining room!)
We didn't want to leave our cozy honeymoon suite so we stayed an extra night. Having the big fireplace in our room made me wish we could have stayed for a week!
We definately reccommend having your wedding here.
It's a lovely and magical place!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Vallejo, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2005

Terry pleasantly greeted us at the Mill Rose Inn upon our arrival for my wife's birthday get-a-way. After checking in he escorted us around the common areas showing us where we could get coffee,tea and pastries, and the videos that were available. He took us to the spa and showed us how to operate it. When he took us to our room he demonstrated how to use the fire place (we didn't need it, the weather was awesome) and the heater. He pointed out the decanters of brandy and sherry avaible to us as well as the wine, beer soda, and bottled water in the room's refrigerator. All of the beverages were included in the price and we were told to call if more were needed.

The room was large and very clean. The bed had many pillows and a down comforter. We used the bath robes that hung in the armoure (sp) to go down to take a hot spa.

Terry offered us a cheese and fruit plate but we weren't hungry and passed on his offer.

On Monday morning he presented us with a fruit plate that was slightly smaller than the state of Rhode Island. One plate was enough for the two of us. This was served with mimosas. The eggs with cheese served with bacon and croissant completed the breakfast. This was great dinning.

Overall this is a great place to get away. It's location off Main Street, makes it easy to walk to the shops.

• Stayed November 2005
6 Thank VallejoJoe
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2005

My husband and I held our wedding on September 17th, 2005 at the Mill Rose Inn. It was the wedding of our dreams. Eve and Terry Baldwin, the proprietors, were gracious and helpful in every way. Our guests were overwhelmed with the charm and beauty of the Mill Rose Inn. Eve was our bridal consultant and was always at the ready to help us in choosing our vendors. Her suggestions were informative and unbiased which allowed us to make the right choices for us.
The gardens were awash with flowers and a lovely gazebo which provided a charming place for memorable pictures. The courtyard was lush with flowering plants and tiny white lights which created an ambiance of magic. Our rooms were inviting and romantic. They were decorated with wonderful antiques and furniture. The small affects in each room (the sherry and brandy decanters) exhibited a touch of class. The post morning breakfast that Terry provided was truly gourmet. It was served in the intimate front room which allowed our guests to connect and say goodbye in a relaxed and soothing atmosphere. We cannot thank Eve and Terry enough for helping to make our special day truly special.

California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2005

I was just married at the Mill Rose Inn. I'd like to take this opportunity to tell other couples looking at this site for their wedding about our experience.

While my new husband and I give the Mill Rose Inn a "B-" in hygiene and atmosphere, we must grade our experience with them as an "D-" overall. Especially with a small B&B, service makes the experience, and in this department we were not only let down, we were shocked at the pushy, often outright hostile, attitude of the owners. Sadly the service provided by the owners, Eve & Terry Baldwin, was sorely less than what was promised, not just to us as a bride and groom, but also to every one of our guests, who were dear family members and friends who had traveled many miles to be there (one couple from halfway around the world).

Despite how pretty this quaint English-style B&B is, it isn't what it used to be. Less than one year ago, I chose this site for my wedding which occurred on October 8, 2005 (last weekend). We booked all 6 rooms for two nights, and I've seen them all.

Less than one year ago the rooms were pristine. I'm not sure what happened in the interim, but there has been a notable lack of attention since. The wallpaper was bubbling and peeling in more than one room, and caulking in several bathrooms had turned black and was peeling as well. The once lovely flagstone patio is now filled with cracks and looking shabby. The outside bathroom which our guests used was dirty and smelled awful. But the rest of the place is still looking relatively well, and of course the gardens are beautiful. I can also say their breakfasts are quite excellent, if you don't count the service.

Photos on the web site show massages given in a garden courtyard setting, which simply isn't true. You can't even have in-room massages, let alone in the courtyard; you instead must have them in a small room which doubles as a storage room and is also the childrens' room during weddings. It is small and none too private, being in a fairly well-traveled area.

Unfortunately, the Mill Rose Inn purports itself to be a high-end "boutique inn" with pricing to match. They promise superior service and setting. This is not true. Our service was seriously lacking in every way, from check-in to check-out. They took every opportunity to bully and harrass us and our guests, and made us feel like unwelcome guests and untrustworthy hoodlums (when three of us are doctors, all of us professionals, all between the ages of 35-65, not your typical young wedding crowd).

For example, Eve Baldwin called me less than a week before my wedding and reported that it was her birthday on October 7 (the day of our check-in) and since she wanted to make dinner plans, I should tell all my guests to check in between 3 and 4 pm. Eve called me several times that week to pin me down on this and insisted I call each of my guests, even though I explained to her some were unreachable as they were in transit from Hong Kong and Australia. She was quite put out with me for not allowing her to have her birthday dinner out (why she didn't hire someone else to watch the desk that day so she and her husband could go out is beyond me). Often she brought up the subject of how she was sacrificing her birthday dinner for my wedding and my guests, and while I felt bad about it, I couldn't help but think how unprofessional she was being, bringing in her personal life and forcing it to rule her paying guests' schedules. And to me, it isn't the bride's job to tell her guests when to check in, as if I have any control whether or not their planes are on time. Upon my check-in, Eve did not smile once, and actually instructed me four times in two-minute period "not to lose my room key - I only have two and it is such a bother to have it copied".

But the most horrendous example of service occurred the morning after the wedding, at breakfast time. Two of our guests, a physician and his wife, had ordered breakfast in their room, but noticing that others were eating in the dining room, decided to carry their trays down and join us. We were about to push two tables together when Terry Baldwin (one of the owners) entered and scowled at us. "What are you doing?" he demanded. He insisted on pulling out a leaf instead, and made it quite clear he was displeased with us. When my distressed guests asked how they could help, he said "The way to help would have been to tell me ahead of time you're eating in the dining room!" And when one of my friends tried to help him by rearranging the placemats, he physically slapped the table and shouted "No no no! Don't do that!" I actually hate to bring this situation up, because I think Terry is possibly mentally ill and not simply rude, but certainly this experience ruined our morning - and note, this is the morning after my wedding - and unfortunately, this is only one of many examples of similar experiences my guests and I had dealing with both Eve and Terry Baldwin. My wedding planning was fraught with it, and I can't count how many stressful hours I worried over Eve and Terry's crazy behavior, unhelpfulness and hostility.

Also disappointing and more applicable to weddings at Mill Rose was the lack of delivery on services promised. Eve Baldwin's promises all evaporated when it came to my wedding day. I'll try to just hit the highlights quickly and be as specific as possible.

I booked the Mill Rose Inn after seeing many pictures of beautiful weddings held there, with a lovely buffet table set in the courtyard, a bar area in the front garden, and cake table set up in the courtyard. I was promised exquisite flower arrangements on every table, two on the buffet ("Normally I just provide one, but for you I'll do two"), and flowers for my cake. Eve assured me she would decorate my cake beautifully ("I am very creative, you can trust me"), suggested I buy Chinese paper lanterns for her to hang in the garden, said she would set up my signature mat, said she would set up my favor table exactly as we had discussed during the lengthly meetings she held with me (lengthly, at her request). She promised she'd frame and display one of my invitations in the dining room, so to make sure I gave her one.

But she did none of these things. After receiving payment in full (which she demanded upon booking, up front) Eve was very inflexible when it came to what we, the bride and groom, wanted. We wanted what we'd seen in her photo albums, but she said she was making some changes as her inn was being too damaged from the original setup.

For example, she insisted the buffet table be set up in the driveway behind the house, not in the courtyard. Yes, a driveway.

She insisted the bar must be set up in the garage, instead of in the front garden, where her lawn could get damaged. Yes, a garage.

She also wouldn't let us have the cake set up inside, as she said the frosting gets on the carpet, so it had to be outside. If I didn't want flies landing on my cake, I had to keep it hidden inside a hot tub room throughout the reception.... where it gets really warm, as it's kind of a combination greenhouse and hot tub room. She said she would bring it out just before cutting time, but no one would see it unless they were sitting close to us. This was very disappointing, as I'm used to cakes being on display throughout the reception, indoors.

A week before my wedding, Eve called me in a panic to tell me the large tree over the courtyard, which towered over 90% of the guest tables, had an insect infestation and had shed all sorts of unmentionables over the tables/food at the wedding previous to mine. She said *I* would need to rent a number of large tents, at my expense, to cover the tables and protect the guests from falling insects and insect debris.

The day before my wedding, Eve cancelled our 2:00 pm meeting to go over final details, saying she was stressed out with all the wedding planning and "needed some human time". She abandoned me to have her hair done. I thought it would be all right, since I'd seen her write down all the previously discussed details during our lengthly meetings. What could go wrong, I thought?

In the end, we ended up with this:

Eve forced the caterer to set up the buffet table in the driveway, not in the courtyard as her pictures showed

I had only one bouquet on the buffet table (which included purple flowers, which clashed horribly with my theme color of Chinese red) and not two as promised

She also forced the caterer to put the bar in the garage, facing the scenic street and parking lot

Eve did nothing special to the cake in terms of decorations, not even one flower as promised

Eve hung my paper lanterns in the garage over the bar, not in the courtyard as she'd shown me in the photos

Eve refused to acknowledge my request not to put the signature mat in a high-traffic area since I was afraid it would be knocked over, and sure enough, it was knocked over and damaged

She didn't display my invitation, and in fact had the nerve to tell me to buy a frame for it *after* telling me she'd put it in one of her frames. So I bought a frame, but she still didn't use it.

Eve didn't set out the children's favors on the table by the buffet as discussed a number of times, and as she had written down in her notes as she had every other detail on which we had agreed. Instead put the favors on a table where the older kids were sitting - kids too old for the favors in question. So the little kids didn't receive their favors, all but a few who were given pre-opened favors by the 16-year-olds who didn't know what else to do with their toy firetrucks.

Eve requested we take our family photos at the Mill Rose instead of the church where we were married, and so we did - on the lawn she made sure was heavily watered just before our arrival. We all just about sunk down to our knees, and I will have to pay a small fortune to try and get all the mud out of my beautiful wedding dress.

Additionally, I was promised a bottle of chilled champagne set up for my new husband and me "along with other nice surprises" in our room upon our return from our evening in San Francisco following the reception. Eve made it a point to ask me for our schedule following the reception so she'd know when the maids could go in and turn down/clean the rooms following our departure. She had my final schedule in print at least two weeks before the wedding. We left Mill Rose around 5:00 pm and returned just after midnight. We had no champagne on our return; in fact our room had been untouched and was a mess. None of the rooms were cleaned or turned down as promised, actually.

We were promised every accommodation and special treatment for our honored guests staying at the Mill Rose, as they say service is their #1 goal. Believe me, this certainly wasn't our experience.

Eve insisted on full payment up front, which was full payment for all rooms booked for two nights as well as the rental fee for the inn, which was $7000. The total was $9000 which I gave her in check form. She said she would hold onto it for awhile, which she did (about 4 weeks) but cashed it many months before my wedding. As I have never been married before, I didn't realize how unusual it is to request full payment up front. Not one of my other vendors has done this, and I believe it is customary to ask for a maximum of 1/2 of the payment up front, with the other half due shortly before the wedding. Although this really doesn't upset me very much, my friends and family thought it was wrong, so I thought I should report what happened.

Eve requested I meet with her for a few "quick" meetings, one of which lasted 8.5 hours, another well over 5 hours. My car once had three parking tickets on it. I can't even count how many phone conversations we had in which Eve asked me the same questions over and over again, conversations taking precious hours of my planning time. However I thought she was just being thorough, and she wrote down every detail of what I wanted. I thought my wedding would go smoothly with this much attention to detail. It didn't, as you can see.

Overall I do not recommend the Mill Rose to anyone planning a wedding, although it may be acceptable if you only stay as a guest and order breakfast in your room, having no contact with the owners. But for the price you pay at Mill Rose, you may as well stay at the Ritz Carlton or the Old Thyme Inn and have a much nicer experience overall.

• Stayed October 2005
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
43 Thank lisa95136
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2005

I can't say enough about the Mill Rose Inn but I'll try.... My boyfriend and I landed late on a Sunday night in Oakland and we were referred to Terry at the Mill Rose Inn. I called him around 10 p.m. and he said he did have a room for us and gave us excellent directions!

We arrived around 11 p.m. and Terry greeted us and brought us up to our room. WOW!! It was decorated beautifully! The clawfoot bathtub, the oversized bathroom, the King sized bed with beautiful linens and a feather bed topper that made it feel like you were sleeping on a cloud! The room also came with complementary wine, sherry and other beverages. And if that wasn't enough bathrobes and slippers for our use!

We also booked the jazuzzi which is located in the middle of court which the rooms overlook. The court is filled with the most AMAZING flowers and so is the entrance to the inn. It's almost more then the senses can take it in! The Jazuzzi can be booked for an hours time and and it is the most relaxing way to end the day....the first night we came in we took the 12:00 to 1:00 a.m. slot and it was unbelievable!

Terry was extremely helpful as my boyfriend and I were going to drive to Monterey on Route 1 (PCH) and Terry let us borrow the most interesting map/guide book which told you all about the places you were passing and what to do in each town!

We stayed another night because we couldn't imagine leaving! The breakfast Terry brought our room was incredible....champagne, fresh smoothie, fresh fruit boat and then said he'd be back with the 2nd course! It was amazing and this was all included in the price of the room! He made dinner reservations for us at a place we could walk to which was very romantic!

We cannot wait to take another trip out to Half Moon Bay to stay at The Mill Rose Inn! We are also strongly recommending to all of our friends to take a trip out to CA and stay here!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Mill Rose Inn for 1 night. We wish we had been there for another one at least and plan on returning in the future! We absolutely loved it. Beautiful in every way!! The work that Terry and Eve have done is remarkable. The grounds are covered with beautiful flowers! The service and personal caring were above and beyond our expectations. It was a surprise for my husband and he couldn't say enough about how much he loved it. Terrry showed us two other rooms that weren't occupied yet and we plan on trying one of those next time, they were beautiful. It is a small inn which is our preference to a "hotel" setting. Terry recommended a few dinner places, we chose one we could walk to and without us asking he immediately went a made reservations for us! It was an excellent dinner. The food for breakfast was fabulous, along with the champagne for breakfast!!! Terry served us in our room! What a treat that was! The room has everything you could want! The spa was great and being able to book it privately was what we liked! The linens and feather bed were soft and wonderful to sleep in! The cookies and cakes in the dining area for anyone to have at any time was fun! The wine, beer and sherry in the room we also enjoyed!!! Bottom line it is a beautiful inn, the flowers and beautiful decorating is gorgeous! It is the best place we have ever stayed!! We are planning on telling everyone we know that it is a must to experience!!!!!! Just wonderful! Can't say enough about what a special place it is!!! Carol and Mike, Concord, California