“Great breakfast, quiet location!”
Review of Zaballa House

Zaballa House
Ranked #10 of 11 Half Moon Bay B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

This is our go to for great rates, great, quiet location. We enjoy walking up and down the Main Street and not having to worry about parking! They offer quiche, lots of fruit and sometimes waffles for breakfast - very yummy! Rooms are basic, but clean.

• Stayed: August 2013

Reviewed 29 August 2013

We stayed in Room 10 and had plenty of hot water. We paid $160 plus tax and thoroughly enjoyed the comforts of the room. Service was perfunctory, breakfast phenomenal with loads of fresh fruit and a choice of quiche. Bed was squeaky, creaky. Good location to downtown shops. Woken up by garbage trucks or some such at 7am. Plenty of parking. Funky frilly décor in room.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Do not give your credit card until you confirm that you have hot water!!

We stayed in room #10 with a jacuzzi tub and discovered that there was no hot water while trying to fill the tub for a leisurely soak with the Sunday paper. In short, we paid extra for a jacuzzi that we couldn't use.

The less than helpful woman at the desk kept telling me that I wasn't turning the knob correctly. Lady, I've been bathing myself for 40+ years and can operate a standard shower. Finally, she came over and confirmed that we did indeed know how to operate a bath tub and that there was indeed no hot water. She said that Jose would be over to fix in 30 minutes and that we could take a shower in the main building. I didn't want a shower, I wanted a bath because we don't have a tub at home. We also paid extra for the jacuzzi tub room.

They mysterious "Jose" never showed up after 2 hrs and we were ready to leave. Our friends bought us the hot tub room stay as a birthday gift so the front desk refused to compensate us. My husband left his number asking the manager to call us. We have never heard back.

Zaballa House turned what was supposed to be a relaxing time into a major disappointment. It is a cute B&B with customer service and quality at standards below that of a cheap, freeway motel. Disappointing.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WISCGirl
Reviewed 5 July 2013

The rate for booking it on-line was $190 plus tax, it was our one year anniversary so I booked it anyway, it was a waste of money. We got the smallest room in the main house. It was a very simple B&B, nothing special about it.

Room Tip: Walls are so thin that you can clearly hear your next door neighbors.
5  Thank Paty8a
Reviewed 27 June 2013

My husband and I stayed at this "bed and Breakfast" for two nights. When we first entered the room it smelled faintly of cat urine so we left the door open to air it out. As we unpacked a few of our personal items we noticed a few bits of dry cat food on the floor. Then I opened one of the drawers in the bathroom and it was full of hair and I mean the entire bottom of the drawer was covered with hair. Room did have a fireplace which the fire would turn off but you could not get the heat to stop flowing into the room so it was hot, and there was no air conditioning. We would have opened the window however there was no screen and our room was along the walkway where other guests would pass so security and privacy along with possible bugs would have been an issue.
The staff was less than helpful and the breakfast was coffee, what was left over in the pot, juice, muffins and Thomas English Muffins - oh yes, and yogert and or cottage cheese. When we arrived at the breakfast table we had to request the dirty plates from the previous guest be removed then had to request silverware.
Along with everything else parking is an issue when the place is booked.
We would not recommend this place to anyone and wouldn't stay there again if it was free.

Room Tip: I doubt there are any.
5  Thank Jim-n-Anne
Reviewed 22 June 2013

My wife booked the room for our one year anniversary. As soon as we looked at the room we were disappointed (room #8), a small room upstairs.

Booked room online $190 per night, through hotel's website http://www.zhousehmb.com/. Arrived at hotel to find out the same room was $175 (room #8 on card at front desk). When we spoke to the front desk they said "that is the way it goes, sometimes the online rate is more expensive, we don't manage the online rates". All the rooms upstairs are the "queen deluxe" but room number #8 is the smallest, rooms #6 and #7 are considerably larger.

We still had a wonderful time in Half Moon Bay, lovely area.

Room Tip: Select room # 6 or #7
5  Thank MuseumDesign
Reviewed 31 May 2013

I came here to spend some quiet time alone and have stayed in the hotel side in the past and this was my first visit in the B&B side. I'll be candid...I had some concern but the room was lovely, the bed was comfortable, linen was soft and my location was quiet. I was on the ground floor in room number 4. As far as the noise goes this is an old house and it is to be expected to hear some noise and being considerate of your neighbors is on us. I thought being close to the dining room would be an issue but I had no complaints, other than the murmur of conversation it was quiet.
I wouldn't consider staying anywhere but here for the value (hotel side), for a spurge of self-pampering and romance (B&B side), and the customer service. This is a great place to visit if you want a minimum commercial free experience to your coastal holiday. Yes, people have bad days and as a guest we should never be subjected to it but once I addressed my one experience among many great experiences (over the years) the issue was handled promptly by management. My favorite part is running into other repeat guests during my visits.
You are at the heart of a wonderful relaxing environment. If walking is not an issue the beach is not that far away and as a single woman I have always felt safe walking alone. The restaurants and coffee shop within walking distance are excellent and I have to admit that I have gotten stuck on visiting the same restaurants but when I wanted to try something new I was not disappointed. Staff gave great recommendations for dining and entertainment. If you are lucky to arrive when the free walking tour is offered by a local tour business I recommend taking the short, informative, walkabout.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo