“Nice Downtown Location”

Ranked #10 of 11 Half Moon Bay B&B and Inns
Fremont
“Nice Downtown Location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

The rooms inside of the main house of this B&B give you more of an "experience". This last time we stayed in one of the rooms in the side building. This room had more of a motel feel - but the room was clean and the price was ok. The breakfast the next morning was excellent. Zaballa House has a friendly and accommodating staff. Great restaurants nearby. The ocean is at most a 5 minute drive away. Downtown Half Moon Bay is a fun little town to explore.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Trudy W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
San Jose, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

My best friend and I are pretty into haunted/supposedly haunted hotels (form your own opinions, we don't mind, we've heard it all! haha). We had read online, on a few websites actually, that Zaballa House possibly hosted a ghost or two and decided to take a one night visit. Half Moon Bay is pretty close to us (San Jose, CA), so we decided it would definitely be worth it to check out Zaballa and see what they had in store as well as tool around HMB because we love the area.

I read some of the reviews on here, no mention of ghosts but that did not sway our choice, and decided that it also seemed nice enough of a place to stay even if nothing paranormal happened. Seemed like your standard small no frills B&B (fresh fruit, bagels, juices, and delicious looking pound cakes), which is just our type. We don't need anything fancy. This seemed perfect. So we made a reservation a couple of days in advance, requested room 6 (rumored to have ghost activity) and things were settled.

We arrived a little after check-in and the whole process went smoothly. The front desk agent was nice and greeted us warmly as well as wishing us a wonderful stay and to let them know if we needed anything out. As far as customer service goes, which I am big on as I work in hospitality as well, the agent was quite nice and refreshing (even when we probably bored her to death by talking about why we came). We checked into room 6 as requested because it was in fact available and it was really cute. The modernized claw foot tub in the bathroom was lovely and the bed, with the "interesting frame" as they described it, was very comfortable. There was no TV which was actually really neat because it gave my best friend and I even more time to relax and play some games they provided. We had a window overlooking a courtyard and that was really nice to have open at night with the gentle breeze and the morning noise when we woke up. Very enjoyable. I really liked reading the guest book while people watching outside. We utilized the fireplace "just because" seeing as it was there, and it provided nice warmth and glow. We stayed up late to see if anything spooky would happen, and though nothing did, minus some settling noises and a weird vibe, we still had a blast freaking ourselves out and laughing about it. Overall, the room was really nice.

There were only a couple of downsides to staying at Zaballa House. Nothing major, but noteworthy, is that they are not a 24 hour desk so it is really hard to reach them by phone. I would have made a reservation online but I had wanted to ask a couple questions and request room 6, and it was slightly annoying that I had to leave three messages and never get a call back then FINALLY was able to reach someone. But really, that wasn't a big deal and we did get what we asked for so I guess I can't be too annoyed. The other thing to mention, which is specific to just us, is that when we checked out, a different nice older woman was at the desk and asked how our stay was. We told her it was really great and we liked the room but we were bummed we didn't have anything paranormal happen because we had a read a bunch of times that stuff could. She laughed and said "Yeah, we aren't haunted, at all. I have no idea why people say that, kind of silly if you ask me." Well...uh...okay...thanks for making us feel dumb after we enthusiastically told you it was basically the main reason we came. Oh well, can't win 'em all.

In general, for what it was, and it is what we expected minus the lack of ghosts, I would definitely stay at Zaballa House again if I were to be in the area and needed somewhere to stay. The rooms were nice, the food looked simple but great, staff was friendly, and prices were decent.

Room Tip: Also, everything was very clean in our room, especially the bathroom, which is always great! I would...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Sacramento, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

If Motel 6 ran a B&B, this would be it. The staff were completely disengaged and mostly acted like guests were a bother. The breakfast is exactly as shown on the website - fruit and bread, and nothing else, and it's exactly the same everyday. My wife likes tea in the morning, yet she had to ask the staff for hot water every morning. (We made the mistake of staying there 3 nights.) We found out later they do have quiche but you have to ask for it, and they will microwave some for you. IMPORTANT: Be sure you have a specific room reserved and have seen photos of your room. They have several "standard" rooms that look just like a Motel 6. Keep looking if you want a romantic getaway.

Room Tip: Be sure you have a specific room reserved and you have seen photos of the room. They have several r...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tom K

Travellers are raving about these Half Moon Bay hotels

Anderson
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

I had a very good stay at the Zaballa House, it's location is right down town. Very close to the beech also. The room was clean and nice. The only problem was I was charged twice for the one nights stay, Now it is very hard to get a call back from the manager. Been working on it for 45 days. I thought it was taken care of. I was wrong. Take care of your customers. It's all you have.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Anot7
Alameda, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Picture a strip-mall aesthetic, not a classic old home bed-and-breakfast. Room large, but unmaintained: gross, stained carpet, gas fireplace didn't work, sink did not drain, no blackout curtains or light-blocking blinds, mattress sub-standard. On the plus side, central location, decent breakfast. Don't think I would choose it again- I'd rather be at a Comfort Inn for less money, similar charm. Actually, the comfort Inn would never had had the gross stained carpet.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jennifer G
Foresthill, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed in suite #10. Fireplace broken, deadbolt broken, no A/C, weird tub/shower situation. Old, faded dusty fake flowers decorate the room. Very outdated. Big room with high ceilings and big comfortable bed. But I wouldn't return.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Kelly M
Woodland, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

My wife and I stayed here and it was one of the worst experiences we have had. Beds hard as a rock, fireplace didn't work, heard traffic on the street, walls paper thin and heard neighbors tv and dog all night. Front desk was not responsive to neighbors noise. Buffett in morning was not that great and staff not very freindly. Stay anywhere else but here!

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel or B&B!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple