“We will be back!”

Ranked #10 of 11 Half Moon Bay B&B and Inns
southern california
“We will be back!”
Reviewed 1 February 2010

After searching all types of hotels for our trip to the bay area, we found the Zaballa House in Half Moon Bay. Since we had our 10 year old with us they gave us room 30 which was extremely large and very private. We felt like we had the entire place to ourselves which may have been true as we traveled during a series of bad storms. Betty, Maria and Shelia were quite charming and the delicious breakfast each morning was greatly appreciated. The location in town was perfect and made it easy to walk to restaurants and shops. Pasta Moon, an Italian restaurant across the street, was absolutely delicious and the service was top notch. We are looking forward to our next visit and possibly moving to the area in the near future.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Michael B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
East Bay
Reviewed 10 January 2010

Our stay at the Zaballa was a weekend getaway. We stayed is room 12 and really enjoyed the spacious atmoshpere.

Pros:
-great jacuzzi tub
-spacious 2 room suite with private entrance
-quiet
-downtown location near many little shops
-filling breakfast with many options
-Great value

Cons:
-Bed, it was noisey and very uncomfortable for two nights
-No dvd/vcr

Being a young couple in our 20's we found this place to be suited more towards older couples.

Overall still had a good time.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Port Angeles WA
Reviewed 17 December 2009

What a great experience, to stay and feel at home, We were greated very professionally but with a personal care that makes you feel like you have come home. Breakfast served with a smile, many continental choices and a cooks choice of waffles and Quich! We enjoyed our time very much and intend to visit Zaballa house again.
Rick and Jenn Parker
Port Angles Washington

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
San Jose
Reviewed 2 December 2009

Our stay at Zaballa House could not have been more delightful. The suite we got, room 12, was fantastic with all of the amenities we could want. The house is the oldest home in Half Moon Bay and even has a history room which, as a teacher, I can say would be worth a field trip to learn about the local culture. Sheila, our hostess, was as attentive as she was charming. The evening wine and cheese gave us a chance to meet travelers from other parts of the world, something that rarely happens in large, cold hotels. The breakfast was tops with fresh fruit and lots of locally produced goodies. It was far better than the usual bacon and eggs buffet one often finds passed as breakfast these days. If you like history, local culture without surrendering any of the creature comforts, this is the place. For the local, you can not beat the prices either.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Bay Area
Reviewed 9 October 2009

Great B and B to stay and either have quiet time or meet interesting guests

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
florida
Reviewed 24 July 2009

I was excited to stay at a bed and breakfast on our trip to California, but I was sorely disappointed when I got to the Zaballa House. The description of the room I selected on line boasted it was homey with antiques, oil paintings, wall paper, and an antique tub. The room we were given was not in the main house. It had exterior access like a cheap motel. The room was stark white, the shades were breaking, the berber carpet was dirty and stained, there was no art work at all, it had an uncomfortable bed with very thin pillows, the small love seat sunk down when we sat on it and had no cocktail table or end table for it. There was no tub in the bathroom, just a shower. There wasn't even a trash can in the room. I'm sure some of the rooms are nice, but be sure to ask which room you will receive when you make a reservation. We had room 20. Don't accept that room.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank homesweethometravel

Travellers are raving about these Half Moon Bay hotels

Monterey, CA
Reviewed 17 January 2009

I got the "great" $89 rate that was advertised on line. When I got there the room they put me in had the tub IN it and was next to the back service door with staff traipsing back and forth. The blinds were broken and permanently shut and the place smelled like really really strong Pinesol. Yuck. Plus... we could not make a peep or we would have been heard.

I requested a private suite and was allowed to look at all the other rooms available. So, the front desk staff was very pleasant in that regard.

The most private room, with a nice tub cost $165 ($189 after taxes, etc)!! Great... they would offer me no further discount.

My key would not work after I returned to the hotel and luckily I made it back prior to 8:30pm when the office closed. She made me a new key stating that if I placed it next to my cell phone it desensored it... or whatever. I don't know what I would have done if I got back 30 minutes later! Then the jet tub wouldn't turn on, the room smelled so strongly of Pinesol that everything that was in my overnight bag had to go in the wash as soon as I got home and the coffee maker had everything except the coffee POT.

I called the front desk and the gal there (very nice) said she was unable to help me with the tub after telling me to press the button, which I did and it worked for seconds then turned back off (it finally came on much later after filling the tub to the brim) and she basically told me to call the manager in the morning.

It was an odd place....the Pinesol was overpowering, really. If you are in the least sensitive to smells, don't do it.

• Liked — Privacy of suite 30
  • Disliked — Pinesol! and the internet deal was for a non-private awful rom
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank RomanticGetaway069