“Our Favorite Place to Go!”

Half Moon Bay Lodge
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Half Moon Bay
Reviewed 4 July 2011

My kids and I go to Half Moon Bay every year, several times a year. We know what we love there, and we LOVE the Half Moon Bay Lodge! The property is beautiful and well maintained and the staff has always been very warm and helpful. We love everything about this place, from the wonderful pool and jacuzzi, to the delicious free breakfast offered every morning, to the grassy area outside our patio that makes it convenient when bringing a service dog. I have tried two other hotels in Half Moon Bay and they were such a disappointment. The last time we stayed my car broke down 10 miles away from the hotel. The staff was able to recommend a nearby garage to get my car fixed, and had my room ready so I could drop my luggage off in the room en route to the garage. My children are 11 and 15 and would rather come to the Half Moon Bay Lodge any day over Disneyland! We LOVE this place and will continue to come back every single chance we get!!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 9 June 2011

Perhaps my expectations were too high. We typically stay at Hampton Inns or Courtyard by Marriotts on family vacations. After reading the good review on Tripadvisor we decided to give Best Western in Half Moon Bay a shot. After killing three insects in the room during our first 10 minutes, it was reasonably clean. The décor was a little dated, especially the 1970’s style sliding patio door. The heat stopped working the first night, but the maintenance guy was there in five minutes and had in going in just minutes. When the person in the room next to ours decided to take a shower at 1:00 am, it sounded like a steam engine started up next door it was so loud. The breakfast was OK and the staff cordial. The rooms open to an exterior walkway which we did not expect. Owner/management does make attempts to decorate the place inside & out, but I just couldn’t get past the out-of-date feel. If you have low expectations or just want an OK place to stay for a night or two, this is the place for you.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 June 2011

We realy liked the looked of the out side good locotion
very quite ,but we were on vacation an we wanted to use the hot tub
six in the morning ,we walked across the lawn which was a ways from any rooms
our key would not open the gate ,my husband went down the next morning to get
coffee ,he was meet with ,a clerk demanding his I-D in front of guests not cool
at all ,mind you breakfast was included ,I come down to explain that it wasnt cool what happened to my husband ,they we not good about it at all ,asked me to ,take my dog out ,as dogs were not allowed in reception area,I stood my ground ,I said I will be getting a cup of coffee before I leave with my dog on my hip not on the floort thats what I did an left. we did not have a good experiense at all,It looks good ,but the staff are not cool yes ,they could have gone around it another way ,I worked for the Marriott hotel for 15 years an this would never have happened on my shift or any other shift .We pay for breakfast,we pay to have our pet with us ,and we got brirated for both whats up with this picture.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank perks500
HalfMoonBayLodge_GM, General Manager at Half Moon Bay Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2011

Thank you for your feedback. Although I am disappointed that you felt the service did not meet your expectations, I would like to reassure you that we will not be satisfied until you are fully satisfied.

In fact, I guarantee every guest's full satisfaction. If we in any way fail to meet your expectations, please let us know. We will make it right.

Kurt Picillo

Reviewed 31 May 2011

We were so happy with this hotel! So comfortable and relaxing! Service was awesome too! We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed 30 May 2011

Stayed two nights for work. Meeting room was nice. Opening out to the swimming pool and yard. Hotel room was okay. Slept well. Food was pretty bad. No trails and not beachfront. I'd spend a bit more at the Beach House.

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed 11 May 2011

Our room, with two queen-sized beds, was perfectly clean and comfortable. The grounds of the hotel were beautifully landscaped, with flowers everywhere. Our nightly rate included wireless internet and a standard continental breakfast, making it an excellent value for money. Loved the pool and hot tub. The management even accomodated our request for late check-out. Plan to stay here again on my next trip through San Francisco.

Room Tip: The ground floor rooms are the best.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 May 2011

The hotel is set right on the golf course with most rooms having a view of the greens. The property is landscaped beautifully with lots of flowers and vines growing up the walls. There are even live plants in the room and on the balcony. Our balcony was quite large with 2 chairs and a nice table. The rooms were quite large with nice furnishings. The bathroom shower was a little weird because the bathtub was to small for the space. Also the toilet was very short, not really convenient for tall people but great for kids. We didn't use the pool or hot tub but other people seemed to enjoy it. The breakfast was a normal continental breakfast and ample.
The hotel is not waking distance to anything. Downtown Half Moon Bay is about a mile or so away and there aren't any other restaurant besides Joe's withing walking distance. The only downside that we experienced was the smell of fumes from cars that are parked in front of the rooms. The rooms are outside entrances only. There was a car show in town so there were a lot of the collector car people staying at the hotel and in the morning they had to warm up their cars before they left for the show.
When we checked in our room was not ready so we waited a short time but they have binders filled with things to do in Half Moon Bay. So while we waited we planned a few things to do.
I would stay there again. It is a very peaceful place.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple