“Get what you pay for.....”

Americas Best Value Inn & Suites
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Half Moon Bay
Florida
“Get what you pay for.....”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We were looking for an inexpensive hotel and this place fit the bill. Unfortunately that is the only good thing about it. The pillows (not pillowcases) were old and yucky looking. The room smelled of toooo much air freshener and our window looked into someones backyard.
It will get us through the night, but I wouldn't book another night at this hotel chain even if I was looking for something inexpensive. Next time I will send a few extra dollars.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
americas best v, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 12 September 2014
Thank you for your comments we appreciate your taking the time to post them. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again on your next visit to Half Moon Bay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Fair Oaks, California
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We highly recommend this hotel; clean, large rooms, and very conveniently located near beach and several great restaurants on main road through Half Moon Bay! We booked this hotel because it was so much less expensive than most of the upscale hotels in Half Moon Bay. It also had the added bonus of accepting pets, so if our dog watcher fell through, we could bring our dogs (for $20/night/dog which is pretty standard). The person at the front desk was very professional and very friendly. Check in was fast and easy. The room was large and nicely decorated, albeit simply decorated. The room had a large vanity/sink area separate from the bathroom, which was very clean and had a shower with great pressure (not too weak, not painfully powerful). The bedroom/living room area was spacious, had a king sized bed, large flat screen tv with more channels than most hotels offer, a leather sofa in good condition, a table with four chairs and a floor lamp, a refrigerator, microwave, bedside table with alarm clock, and dresser/tv stand, and a desk. If we had needed to bring in a cot for kids, there would have been plenty of room. The large windows looked out into the backyards of some well kept homes. The hotel was closer than expected to the ocean, but we could not see the ocean from our room. There was an air conditioner/heater that was very easy to use. The usual toiletries were provided; shampoo, conditioner, body wash, hand soap, and lotion, and the front desk offers any additional toiletries needed (I'm guessing razor, tooth paste, etc). They provide the shampoo, hand soap, etc. in wall mounted dispensers that were very clean and held a lot of product. They also looked like they couldn't be opened by guests (which set my paranoid mind at ease that no one could mess with the contents). If you're staying with a large family, you'll have plenty of toiletries to go around. The vanity has the hair dryer. There was a closet with an ironing board. The lights could be turned on at any time, but the bathroom light also operated on motion sensors. The bed was very firm, not my cup of tea, but was very clean and inviting and the four king sized pillows provided were high quality and very comfortable. My husband and I kept commenting on how clean the place was, because it really looked above and beyond even much more expensive places we've stayed. They clearly take care to keep everything looking new. Breakfast was a notch above continental. Coffee and tea are provided in the room (simple little coffee maker) and breakfast in the lobby was an appetizing selection of muffins, hard boiled eggs, cereal, and probably a lot of other things I didn't notice. They also offered coffee and milk in the lobby. The only issue we had during our visit was that the room above us was occupied by several very antsy kids that sounded to be jumping off the bed and running around constantly. I would say "thin walls", but I literally only heard that family the entire time we were there, not a single other voice or tv, nor did I hear any cars or traffic (and there was a ton of traffic on the road) so I think it was just a particularly loud group above us that we probably would have heard at any hotel. The parking lot is nicely landscaped with various plants and again, the word clean comes to mind. If you're not looking for particularly mind blowing room decor, and cleanliness and friendliness are high priorities, than I highly recommend this hotel. Our stay was comfortable and I never felt cooped up in the hotel room. We had plenty of room to spread out and enjoyed a board game at the table at night. Try the first seafood restaurant just north of the hotel, it is awesome. Also, the Italian restaurant just south of the hotel was very good. If we go back to Half Moon Bay, we'll be booking our stay here!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sonia H
Dallas, TX
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We were looking for an inexpensive, clean hotel for the night close to a restaurant. This place fit the bill.

PRO
- Room was spacious, generally well maintained - carpet, a leather sofa, and bath vanity all looked new.
- Had fridge and microwave
- Bed was comfy
- Convenient location 1/2 mi from the beach,
- Breakfast was included
- Reasonable value especially based on the other hotels in the area. Also it was less expensive then the Comfort Inn in the same parting lot.
- It is within two blocks of a decent Italian restaurant

CON
- Since it is right on the highway you can hear road nose. I turned on the fan to block out the road noise and that worked fine. I am a light sleeper too.
- Ceiling was thin as you could hear talking in the room upstairs. I'd opt for an upstairs room instead.
- Small breakfast area in lobby
- Curtains had small tears, room needed minor touch ups which didn't matter to us

They do allow pets and they had smoking rooms available.

We weren't sure how long we'd want to drive enroute to Monterey so I used the Trip Advisor mobile app to find hotels in the area when we got tired. I stayed here <<solely>> on reviews from Trip Advisor and would have otherwise passed this hotel up, but I'm very glad I didn't. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: I'd opt for a second floor room
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Chico, California
Reviewed 31 January 2014

This is an average hotel with a reasonable price centrally located in Half Moon Bay. The downside is that it is located on Highway 1 so there is some traffic noise which calms down later at nite but starts again in the morning. We booked a room with 2 queen beds and it was a clean room. We did hear others slamming their room doors as they went in as the rooms are not in an inside hall area. There isn't an elevator but it is only two stories. The breakfast included is basic cereal, hard boiled eggs, toast, mini muffins, and waffles with coffee.

We went there for the big Mavericks surf competition which of course would have been a thrill had they let us get close to the beach to watch it but we did watch it on a big screen t.v. in a local bar there. They did overbook the hotel however so I would reconfirm and not check in too late. Luckily this was not our situation.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravelGoddess61
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We've stayed at this motel many times over the past few years since they allow pets and it's less then a 1/2 mile walk to the beach. The king bed rooms have a couch with coffee table as well as a small table with 2 chairs which we really like. However, this trip both my husband and I noticed things seem to be slipping. Our room wasn't ready at 3:00 check in so we drove to the beach and came back a 1/2 hour later. The maid had to wait for towels and pillowcases to be washed but brought them by later. They have breakfast in the morning which isn't bad and includes waffles. However this trip the fresh fruit looked terrible, the mini muffins were stale, the waffle mix was empty (my husband rang the bell and a girl came out and filled it up). They were out of juice and coffee. No big deal but it appeared they may be short staffed and I beleive a motel should have enought linen and towels for all their rooms.

We will stay here again because of convenience and the rates are reasonable if you don't go at peak times.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms towards the end are the quitest and you can hear the foghorn over the traffic sounds.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Glenda R
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 14 January 2014

My daughter and I stayed here over for the night on our way to Monterey. Joel met us at the front desk and had our room ready and answered all our questions about the area and the Inn. We had a room that was very clean, plenty of room, and our stay included a complimentary breakfast. After looking at other places to stay in Half Moon Bay, I will have to agree that this one is the very best value. We were close enough to shop in Half Moon Bay and drive down to the beach and capture some wonderful pictures of the beautiful sunset over the Pacific Ocean. We were impressed with the staff, Joel and Dana, who were friendly and actually interested in making
this one of the best stops along the way to Monterey.

Room Tip: This Inn is interested in your room request. We requested a room on the lower floor and that is exac...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lynne U
Gridley
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Have read a lot of the reviews and found this place to be very nice and met our needs well. We had stayed for two nights in another chain in Monterey and one night before that in Gilroy and by far this was the cleanest, most spacious and best maintained of the other facilities we used on this trip. The service people in the lobby were more than helpful in suggesting places to eat and tour and were so pleasant in their dealings with not only us but others as well. When we arrived they were behind on cleaning as it had been a huge checkout on Sat. mornning and so the rooms were not ready until three and we were encouraged ao leave one vehicle in their lot and come back in a couple of hours and by then everything was very nice. Would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 100 and it was onthe end. No neighbors above or next to you and we had a wonderful...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Harbor View Inn
Harbor View Inn
#8 of 8 in Half Moon Bay
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites - San Francisco Airport
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites...
#4 of 28 in South San Francisco

Been to Americas Best Value Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!