“Foghorn not so bad; great ocean and harbor view from Jr. penthouse suite”

Beach House at Half Moon Bay
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Half Moon Bay
Reviewed 27 June 2012

The junior penthouse suite is not cheap, but very nice, especially the views. The continental breakfast was fine. No air conditioning, which was not a problem during our stay (late June 2012); we needed sweatshirts pretty much the entire time. Restaurants around here are fairly pricey, though there are Donalds and Subway just a few miles down Route 1. Some have complained about the foghorn every 10 seconds. It's not the deep bass blast that I had expected, but more like a medium-pitched beep, a 370 Hz tone for you scientific geeks, F sharp above middle C (F#4) for you musicians. Much quieter with the sliding glass door shut. They give you earplugs. If you're a person that has something get on your nerves and can't make it stop getting on your nerves, maybe Half Moon Bay near the ocean isn't for you.

Room Tip: Highway 1 on the opposite side from the ocean is noisy with constant traffic. Rooms off the lobby a...
There are newer reviews for Beach House at Half Moon Bay

Reviewed 26 June 2012

We had 2 ocean view rooms that had their own little alcove (we could shut a 3rd door and our rooms were completely closed to the other rooms). We absolutely loved this place and the very kind, helpful people who worked the front desk. The rooms were spacious for our large family (we had 5 of our 6 children with us), the pool was lovely, and the other guests all seemed happy, too. The fruit and pastry breakfast was perfect for us. The fog horn was semi-noticable but was easily drowned out if you wanted it to be (by using room fan, etc.). We loved the fact that the rooms had fridges, microwaves, and toasters--the kids could reheat any leftovers from meals out. Sam's next door was terrific; for something different, try Moss Beach Distillery--incredible views but more expensive than Sam's. We will definitely come back.

Room Tip: take the ocean view!!
Reviewed 25 June 2012

We found this hotel ideal for a perfect getaway. The staff was welcoming and helpful. We loved the wine and cheese in the evenings, the other guests friendly and it just seemed everyone was in a relaxing, good mood. This is our favorite hotel in Half Moon Bay and can't wait to return. Love the location right next to Sam's so we can walk over for music and entertainment. The rooms have a great view, and all the comforts, with a cozy fireplace. It's a great choice at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 June 2012

The room was nice and clean with 2 televisions. We felt very safe at the beach house and had a great time at the pool. We felt like we took a far away vacation even though it was only about an hour from our house. We will return to the beach house.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 June 2012

When I walked into the suite, my first reaction was... "OMG, this is beautiful."

Everything was perfectly clean, well appointed, and thought out. Service was immpeccable, ambiance a delight, and ammenities were excellent.

When I had an unusual requirement, they were quick to meet it effectively and professionally.

Couldn't ask for a nicer place to stay in Half-moon-bay. Right on the bay, the back door opened right out onto a lovely view and sitting area.

Couldn't have asked for a nicer introduction to this lovely spot.

Room Tip: There isn't any room service or restaurant, though there is a great seafood place next door. Con...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 June 2012

Good:
Very friendly and helpful staff.
Large, split level, clean, room.
Room had a fireplace, stove, refrigerator, microwave, toaster, fan, multiple phones, clock radio, and a full sized balcony. The sleeper sofa was comfortable.
Two beaches in back of the hotel. One calm, will a harbor and protected by a jetty. The other with crashing waves and surfers.

Not so good:
A fairly Spartan breakfast. The only protein source was whole milk. No meat or yogurt. No cereal.
A nearby foghorn is noticable, especially with a door or window open. With a fan on, and the room sealed, the foghorn is bearly heard. Sealing the room however, caused it to get a little warm.

2  Thank Geo N
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Hello All,

My wife stayed here at the end of May for 2 days. It was our long awaited 36 hours away from our kids! It was well worth it.

Check in is about 3 PM. We didn't check in until 7:30 so we had no problem getting our room. We were fortunate to come in on a day where there was no fog! Our beach/ocean view was very good! Most of the suites are ocean view, only a few are not. It is a small place but it apparently runs some courses/seminars: during our breakfast down at the lobby we saw plenty of folks there for business. The place accomodates all walks of life: business, families, as well as couples. Their parking spots are adequate but narrow for those who drive tanks (SUVs)- they will have to suck it in when going in between cars! I surmise that if it gets busy, folks park right on highway 1.

We came on Highway 1 going Northbound: it is easy to miss the place, (if you are going the Northbound like us: and you pass Sam's Chowder House, You've gone too Far.) Just slow down as you approach the harbor, you can see it on the left side of the road. If traffic is going too fast behind you, just pull over and let them pass.

Tips:

there are ear plugs in the night stand drawer: use them or bring your own if you can't stand the horn every 10 seconds (I timed it: nuts huh?) I used to live near the coast so I thought that the fog horn wouldn't bother me too much: grew up with it: but that first night it did- part of it was that I had a craving for chocolate at 10 pm, and that combined with the horn really screwed me up! I ended up turning on the fan/heater to drown it out; maybe I shouldn've had alcohol during dinner!

Bring swim trunks: they have a nice hot tub and pool: my wife dipped her feet into the pool: it is heated but not super warm, it is a perfect size for any little ones: not too big. We went at 1 PM on as sunny a day as you are going to get in Half Moon Bay and only one other guy at the hot tub, maybe because people expect weather not to be great at Half Moon Bay and don't bother! Ask front desk for towels for pool.

Bring your own food favorites: the Beach House has a decent breakfast, but if you are like me, you have own breakfast favorites. They have a mini fridge, so use it along with a decent sized microwave. They even have a kettle/stove: although if I needed hot water, I'd likely just nuke it! They also have a toaster in a cabinet. I brought my own cereal and soy milk (lost ability to digest milk about a decade ago!) They have real plates, bowls, utensils, etc. (set of 4)

They provide a decent coffee and a array of fancy teas at breakfast at the lobby. They also have pastries, muffins, bagels, fresh cut fruit and bananas. That is it! No toast, no cereals, no fancy waffle maker but yes to milk and OJ! They also provide those fancy trays if you want to bring your stuff back into your room and veg in bed in front of the tube!

Speaking of tube: they have an odd arrangement for the TVs: they have a 32+ inch flat screen facing the bed, but it actually looks worse than the old CRT facing the couch: they run on Analog: no fancy premium channels (unless you want to pay for it) included! And the remote is hard to use: you have to be patient, hit the "on" button and count to "5" before it turns on! I think that they kept the old CRT (25') because of the way it was "build into" the side of the kitchenette shelf.

Oh: and before I forget: if you were like me and came for romance: bring your own music: they have an attachment for your IPOD (ear plug/speaker jack) next to their stereo system: you might want to use it: I don't know if it works: I brought my IPOD, I just didn't bother to put music into it! Brillant, aren't I!! They do have a 6 disc CD changer for you older folks!!!! Problem is, they don't have much if any radio reception here, so the stereo is essentially useless unless you brought some of your own. First I tried the alarm clock on the night stand, no sound, went to the stereo, spent a good few mintues trying to figure it out, no luck, then I thought of using the IPAD (brought that too!) to stream a radio station, No luck: needed Flash and Apple no like Flash. So I ended up turning on my Lap top just to stream a radio station: presto!! it worked: romantic music!!!

that is a SUPER PLUS with the Beach House: super easy to use Internet, no jumping over hoops, no secret hand shake, no put the password in every time I turn on the computer!!! no need for help from front desk and no computer geek required!! and it was a good speed too: no waiting for the hourglass icon on You Tube!! My wife: shame on her: she did her homework on line for a few hours while we where there instead of given me all her attention! They must use this to accomodate those seminars down stairs!!

Work out: they actually have a gym, although I'd call it a gym closet: because I think I used to have a closet larger than their gym! No kidding, but it works: no one else was there when we were there! and if you want cold filtered water, they have it there at the gym closet! I refilled my bottle while I was there! they also have those disinfectant wipes in a tub if you are a germ freak like me!

Another Plus: privacy: I call their individual room doors "Blast Doors!!" because they could probably handle an atomic bomb: they are thick and insulated!

I would definitely come back, next time with some Kenny G CDs!!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple