“majestic!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Klamath River Resort Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Happy Camp
Klamath River Resort Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Happy Camp
Oroville, California
“majestic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

This was such an awesome surprise! We just happened on this place and found Heaven. Its absolutely beautiful and the owners/managers were incredibly hospitable. Its quiet but has all the comforts of home...cozy, warm, perfect. Thank you for making our stay wonderful. Allyson and Clay

Room Tip: We loved room number1....facing the river
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ally m

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Lafayette, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

I've been coming up to Happy Camp at least once a year for...oh...16 years so far. I've stayed several places, been rafting and kayaking on the Klamath many times, enjoyed the swimming holes and the hot springs as well as this quaint town tucked away on Highway 96. I've been kayaking with the Klamath River Resort Inn twice before and this was my first time actually staying there. This is not the Hilton. And thank goodness for that, right? Did you come all this way to stay in a cookie cutter hotel? I think not. KRRI is not a Hilton hotel, it is a charming, historic river resort on the banks of the mighty and majestic Klamath River. James, the owner, has always been very friendly and gone out of his way to accommodate my needs - i.e. letting me join a group when kayaking solo. While staying there, I really appreciated the fact that he took the time to tell me about all of the Bigfoot Jamboree festivities. My room was clean. The bed was comfortable. I didn't find the lack of AC to be a problem, but it would have been nice. WiFi was extremely fast. The best part? Looking out my window in the afternoon sun and glimpsing the Klamath in all its glory just steps outside my door. Added bonus for all you enviros. out there (not poking fun 'cause I care about our environment too), I really liked the fact that the KRRI offered recycling for cans, bottles, paper, etc. right there at the hotel. Nice touch! =)

Bonus review: If you're sitting at home hemming and hawing over whether to stay at the Klamath River Resort Inn or the Forest Lodge Motel, let me fill you in. I've stayed at both and either way - you can't go wrong. They are both great places to stay! It all depends on what you're looking for. The Forest Lodge Motel is in town - i.e. you can easily walk around downtown, it has AC and it is a little bit cheaper. The Klamath River Resort Inn offers more of the quintessential Klamath River experience - i.e. you are right on the water, rolling lawn, it's more secluded and the WiFi is faster. Great experiences at both places, just choose what kind of experience you would like to have when visiting Happy Camp.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Andrea W
Piedmont, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013

Enjoyed a three day stay at the Klamath River Resort Inn for the 4th of July. James and his staff were very informative and provided excellent services. It was a treat to meet Kitty!
We saw a bear, eagles, herons, and the beauty of the Klamath on the Class 3 and evening rafting trips. This is a great place if you enjoy outdoor adventures! I hope to return soon. The starry nights with the rippling song of the Klamath River were priceless!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Eli2356
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

Truly wonderful time at the Klamath River Resort Inn. I did a lot of research before I chose this for a get away with my 10 year old son and it was an absolutely perfect place for a kid from the city. Every member of staff was extremely friendly and went out of their way to make our stay wonderful. The whole place had a family atmosphere to it. James, the owner, was an amazing host and it seemed like nothing was too much trouble from organizing a fishing trip for us to camp fires in the evening. He was our guide down the river and he was wonderful with my boy, as were the other guides. It was like a boys own adventure and my child did NOT want to come back. It was a fantastic few days. And the location - wow - just absolutely beautiful... I would sit most mornings and evenings out under the trees just soaking it all in. The rooms are rustic but that is part of the whole adventure of it all and we did not spend a whole lot of time in them, instead we were out on the river fishing, and rafting first up river and then down river. The kitchens (which you can get as an add on) had everything we needed. We had such a great time - thanks James and crew for everything you did to make it such a special time for us. We will definitely be back!!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
McKinleyville, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

Just returned from our stay there. The location is beautiful, right on the Klamath River. It is very dog friendly and our dog was able to stay in our room and run around freely when we were outside. The room we stayed in was clean but needs a little love. There was a broken faucet handle, loose towel rack, and drinks from previous customers under the bed. There is no air conditioning only an oscillating fan in the rooms. There is free wi-fi and cable which was a plus with the kids. Most of the staff is extremely friendly and accommodating, however one staff member, we believed to be the owner, was extremely rude and very short-tempered. He was rude on the phone when we called about reservations, sounded put-off when we asked about availability and sent us to the website to check availability and make a reservation. On the morning we left, we met the owner and he was even more brash in person. He was very unprofessional and lacked social skills and yelled at us for moving a trailer after he blocked in our rig with his car. Overall, I cannot recommend a place in the hospitality industry that treats it clients with such disrespect.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank River04
Redding, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

We just returned from a wonderful Memorial Day weekend at Klamath River Resort Inn! If you need a break – a chance to kick back, relax and enjoy nature – this is the place. Yes, the rooms could use some updates, but you won’t be spending much time in your room. KRRI has an incredible location. They are about 2 miles east of the town of Happy Camp. This helps to keep it very quiet and serene. Most importantly, it is located on the Klamath River with a beautiful green lawn between your room and the river. Chairs are set up around campfire rings that allow you to enjoy “smores” at night. James the owner and rafting guide was very accommodating and made our stay great. He even loaned us a fly rod to fish along the Klamath.

When you come visit, plan to take a rafting trip, do some fishing or make a trip over to Oregon Caves National Monument – if the road is cleared (closed if there is snow). I wouldn’t plan to spend much time in town – it is very small and does not offer much to do. We came to introduce our 5 year old to rafting. We ended up doing the up river class I trip. This was perfect for our family. This was a great introduction to rafting for our son, not too scary and not too cold, but also a very relaxing trip for us.

Originally, I wanted to do a multi-day river rafting trip for our family on the Klamath and started looking into various trips offered. O.A.R.S. offers a 3 day/2 night trip out of Happy Camp. But after looking into the cost, it just was not a possibility for our family. Adults are $599 and kids $499. Don’t get me wrong – OARS is a great company with well-trained guides and incredible service, but for us, it was just way too expensive to be a reality. Then I remembered watching a California’s Gold episode with Klamath River Resort Inn. Our entire trip – 2 nights and a 1day raft trip for three, was cheaper than 1 person for the Oars overnight river trip. We did most of the same section of river and we had a private trip just for our family! We could have even added another day of Class III rapids. We hope to go back next year or earlier and do the Class III trip!

A couple of things to know:
Bring your own toiletries
Bring your lunch if you are taking a river trip. There is a market in Happy Camp, but I would grab food in Yreka or bring some sausages from Taylor’s Sausage in Cave Junction (about 1 hr drive north on Forest Road 48)
The basic rooms do not have AC, but they are shaded and do have fans.
The only place to eat in town in a pizza parlor – good, but you might want to have some other options or get a kitchenette and make your own meals.
We stayed in one of the standard king rooms without a kitchenette.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Outdoorsy10
Ventura, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2013

Can't put into words. Very friendly hosts and comfy rooms. Great views and dog friendly. Rustic, yet comfy and quiet. fire by the river in the evening was very serene. Can't wait to return. Will try the hoover suite next time.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family