“Unique property, great personal service”

Ayres Hotel Manhattan Beach / Hawthorne
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Hawthorne
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 13 March 2014

This Italianate villa, recommended by a local client, was an unexpected delight on a two-day business trip to the LAX area. Not too large, the pleasantly ornate facility was made even better by the excellent and friendly service throughout. I was greeted by name throughout my stay. Offers fine food and wine at decent prices in-house at Matisse. Offers free shuttle bus (until 8:30PM) to Manhattan Beach Pier for multi-choice eating, shopping and the beach. Upgrade to a very nice courtyard-view room and completely avoid outside traffic noise. No hotel shuttle to LAX, but it's only five miles away. Minor downsides are: not too many good restaurants in walking distance, and there's 405 traffic on one side. I'd definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Many rooms overlook the beautiful courtyard. I had a courtyard view, my associate did not, and whil...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank dmatko
AyresHotels, General Manager at Ayres Hotel Manhattan Beach / Hawthorne, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Dear Damatko,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor to let others know about your recent stay at our hotel. We are glad you found your accommodation to be a delight, with friendly service throughout. We are pleased to know you know you enjoyed Matisse Restaurant, and its fine food and wine, as well as the free shuttle to Manhattan Beach Pier. Thank you again, we cannot wait to welcome you again in the near future. We also hope the traffic won't be as bad next time you stay with us.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

Beautiful hotel. European feel with large stone fireplaces and artwork. Spacious rooms with ample sitting areas and marble bathrooms. Elegant and welcoming. Fabulous courtyard. Close to restaurants and shopping. Would definitely chose this hotel again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 March 2014

This hotel is very beautiful and reminds me of a museum with beautiful art pieces and statues throughout. There's an outside courtyard in the center of the hotel where you can enjoy the beautiful sound of the birds. While I was there, I saw a hummingbird bathing in the fountain. It was really cool! The rooms are beautiful, especially on the first floor. The ceilings are high and rooms are very spacious. I stayed here for business, but even my company enjoys it so much, they have the networking events at this hotel. We received complimentary breakfast coupons and they had free wi-fi. It was only a 10-15 minute drive from the airport and very close to El Segundo, Space Park, and Redondo Beach. Would highly recommend to any Northrop Grumman employees that are going to any of these facilities since they run have a special rate for NG employees.

Room Tip: I would recommend a room on the first floor since the ceilings are taller and it makes the room seem...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I can't say enough about the staff and their willingness to make our stay perfect. Will be coming here again! We had a small noise issue which they remedied quickly. I feel they went above and beyond.

Room Tip: Rooms look great. We were upgraded due to small noise issue which was handled extremely professional...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
AyresHotels, General Manager at Ayres Hotel Manhattan Beach / Hawthorne, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Dear Michelle A,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor to let others know about your recent stay at our hotel. We are honored to know that you found our staff to be willing to go above and beyond to ensure your stay was perfect. We cannot wait to welcome you again in the near future. Rest assured, we will accommodate you to a quieter room on your future stays. Thank you again, and we hope to see you in the near future.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

The staff was warm and the room was clean. It was a wonderful stay. I'd go back and intend to do so whenever I go to Los Angeles for business. I also appreciated the art pieces throughout the hotel, bery pleasing to the eye.

Room Tip: Talk to the staff they will share with you and be totally honest about it.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
AyresHotels, General Manager at Ayres Hotel Manhattan Beach / Hawthorne, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Dear Frantz B,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor to let others know about your recent stay at our hotel, we are pleased to know you had a wonderful visit. It is also nice to see that you found our service to be warm and your accommodations to be clean, these are the elements we truly strive for. Thank you for the compliments on the hotel artwork, we are thrilled to know you found it pleasing to the eye. We cannot wait to welcome you another time in the near future when you visit the Los Angeles area for business and thank you again!

Reviewed 27 February 2014

I stayed here for business. The interior of the hotel is great. My room had vaulted ceilings with character. Free WiFi was a definite plus. The breakfast at the restaurant hotel was great as well. My coworkers and I received free breakfast coupons, but I'm unsure if that was a company discount or for the general public.

1  Thank Arik B
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Stayed here one night and wish I could have stayed a lot longer. The staff was so friendly, the restaurant was wonderful! I loved the courtyard, you wouldn't know being inside the courtyard that a highway was on the other side of the hotel.
It was extremely close to the airport and easy to get to Manhattan Beach the next morning.
The room was gorgeous and HUGE!! I'm a huge Masterpiece fan, so of course Downton Abbey is also on my list of favs and the room made me feel like I was at a grand castle in England. Just beautiful!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawthorne
The Belamar Hotel
Residence Inn Los Angeles LAX/Manhattan Beach
Beach House Hotel Hermosa Beach
Beach House Hotel Hermosa Beach
#1 of 7 in Hermosa Beach

Been to Ayres Hotel Manhattan Beach / Hawthorne? Share your experiences!