“Gave me the creeps! So dirty! Stay Away!”

Ramada Hawthorne/LAX
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Hawthorne
Edmonton, Canada
“Gave me the creeps! So dirty! Stay Away!”
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

When we drove into the parkade, a pimp-mobile with blacked out windows rolled past very slowly playing loud obnoxious rap...there was an empty box of beer with the cans thrown everywhere on the first level.

We wrote this initial impression off as a coincidence and checked in. This was a very big mistake.

We have kids and had booked a room with two double beds because it was near the airport and all we needed was a crash pad. The reviews when we booked looked good enough. Clean etc. Well it isn't clean any more. And not safe either.

Our room had only one bed and a pull out couch. We had a lot of trouble with the couch but finally got it open. When we did I couldn't believe my eyes. The sheet looked ripped, tatty, and very very dirty. There was even lipstick stains all over one edge!!! The mattress was completely shot, with at least six inches of sag from the edges to the middle.

I went down to the lobby to request the type of room we had booked, and was advised that they had none and had likely overbooked. A smoking room with double beds was available and I checked it out but it was simply too smelly for us to be able to handle.

I asked for a second room so that my wife and kids could sleep in one and me in the other, or alternately a refund...and very unfortunately received the second room.

It was on the same floor as my wife and kid's room, and by now I had spent easily an hour going up and down and around. Our room was on the same level as the pool, and a huge black man was standing in the shadows for the entire time. Both entrances to the pool, which was supposed to be locked after 9:00 PM, were ajar - and it seemed very obvious that this fellow was engaged in either drug dealing or prostitution.

Given the sheets of our pull out bed, it would seem the latter had been a plausible prior use of the filthy sheets. So disgusting!

I walked down multiple hallways on multiple floors and every one had at least one flickering, failing light. It reminded me of the video game "Max Payne". And the hallways were very dirty too.

I used the elevator a lot in this whole ordeal and it sounds very scary. It makes loud screeching noises. And I don't think the elevators have been cleaned, ever. I accidentally touched the walls and they have a very thick coating of something gross over top of the paint.

I am amazed that Ramada hasn't taken their name off this building.

P.S. The air conditioner didn't work.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Jeff H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
San Diego, California
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I had three employees stay here and they were bitten all over their bodies by bed bugs. The Hotel Manager and owner refused to do anything about it at first so i contacted the health dept. The health dept investigated the rooms my employees stayed in and found hundreds of adult and baby bedbugs and eggs under the box springs. They also found spiders on their beds. They also all three also diagnosed with scabies after staying there. My employees were told by cleaning staff that they are understaffed and rooms are not cleaned on a regular basis.

Gross,Dirty,bedbugs, scabies, bad service. Yuck!

Room Tip: Don't Stay here. The rooms may be cheap but you will spend more in doctor bills after getting ea...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ashleyn008
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I think that this hotel is suitable, if you stay for couple of nights as maximum between your connection flights.

Prices is very expensive, Wi-Fi is weak, TV - still CRT, I have not seen them for 5 last years.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Port Chester, New York
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I asked for 2 queen beds and was sent to a room on the first floor that smelled of cigars in the hallway, the room smelled horrible and there was one bed. Went back down to get another room which I happened to ask for a quiet room from the beginning, the man at the front desk gives me a room right by the main road. I was to tired and it was to late to go back down and ask for another room. I couldn't find the toilet paper at first which I eventually found it way underneath the counter. The bathroom faucet was loose. The hotel outside of the lobby is outdated and dirty especially the elevators.
I found this place to be absolutely disgusting and could not wait to get out of there the next morning.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawthorne
Westside
Crowne Plaza Los Angeles International Airport Hotel
Westside
Travelodge Hotel LAX Los Angeles Intl

Been to Ramada Hawthorne/LAX? Share your experiences!