“nice but needs more TLC”

Rodeway Inn & Suites
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Hayward
Camarillo, California
“nice but needs more TLC”
Reviewed 3 September 2012

My husband and I stayed here in 2008 on a trip to San Fransisco. We loved the place and stayed for about three nights then as well as our recent stay of this week 8/29-9/1. We take the Bart system into SF.

The first time we stayed in 2008 we were on the first floor and the place actually won a 3 diamond that year from AAA. This time they had a new owner the place is still very nice but we notice the upkeep wasn't there. It wasn't bad but we noticed in our room on the second floor we had a broken drawer in the Mini kitchen and a few tiles missing from the kitchen as well. We told the front desk about the drawer and they never did fix it. The bathroom towel rack was coming off the wall and all it needed was a new screw in my opinion little stuff like that speaks volumes on the care of the place. The Lobby needed a fresh paint and carpet cleaning just little stuff like that. The elevator needed to be cleaned as well.

The First night of our recent trip we had very inconsiderate nieghbors above us. They were thumping and bumping around untill about 3:00a.m. along with a couple of other things. The third floor is the smoking floor so all the windows were open and we are sure that other people were hearing this too. Thank god it was only one night because I was going to request a different room.

My husband and I will not be back not because we didn't like the place or because of one bad nieghbor but basically because we know that the upkeep isn't there and when we come back in a couple of years it will need more work and that is really a shame because it really is a nice place. Choice Hotels has a very good reputation and unfortunately we have not had very good luck with them lately. It depends on the owners as well.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Terrie113

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Anderson, South Carolina
Reviewed 20 February 2012

This is one of the filthiest Choice Hotels I've stayed in, and I stay in this chain 5-10 days a month across the US. OK, there were no bed bugs, I always check. The bed was made although I'm not sure the sheets had been washed. They were old. The floor had not been vacuumed and you could see pieces of someone else's history stuck everywhere on the carpet. The table/workspace had not been wiped clean. The dishes had a greasy residue... etc. You get the picture. Worst of all, when I tried to wash a cup there were human hairs stuck in the dishcloth and drying towel. Holy $#@%! Stay away from this one. I wouldn't stay here again if they payed me their going rate. When I checked out early and told the front desk person why I was leaving sooner than planned (her hotel was a rat hole) she asked me if I wanted another room. Really?

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank steverinsc

Travellers are raving about these Hayward hotels

Reviewed 24 December 2011

Not clean at all. Grossed me out. I feel very dirty being in the room. I wish I would have brought cleaning supplies with me.

• Stayed December 2011
2 Thank ImForgiven777
Billings, Montana
Reviewed 21 September 2011

I travel to the Bay Area a lot for work and was looking for a place I liked and would like to return to when I am in the area. The photos of this hotel looked nice. In reality it was among the filthiest hotel I have stayed in 15 years. And I have stayed in a lot of hotels. I was booked for 3 nights this trip. I stayed only one night and if it hadn't been such a long day I wouldn't have stayed at all. It is awful.

Room Tip: My tip: Don't stay here/ You will regret it. Filth abounds.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
6 Thank Michael L
uk
Reviewed 27 May 2011

i have stayed here a few times, alays feel at home here. good location for san fransisco.

Room Tip: all rooms are good.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
Inman, South Carolina
Reviewed 23 June 2010

This is a hotel for people on a budget. It is designed for extended stay. With that in mind it is a secure budget hotel, with a staff that tries to make your stay pleasant. The rooms are small but you have a stove, mico, refrig, work desk chairs, lounge chair and bed on in a small room. My room was clean and comfortable. When on a budget I would not hesitate to stay here

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank smokym1
Sierra Vista AZ
Reviewed 11 December 2009

I stayed here in Sept. '09 with a girlfriend on a leisure trip. Then it was just okay, but we were told renovations were underway. So when hubby and I planned a trip to visit family in Dec. we chose this since it was convenient and had the mini kitchens. We stayed 5 nights. The place is STILL undergoing reno, hardly any rooms were filled, and the one we had was way below average. The room above us had people in it for the last two nights of our stay and the noise was TERRIBLE!! The floors in our unit (#108) were filthy. The carpets made my feet/socks BLACK and there was visible dirt in the corners of the kitchen and bathroom floors. The wallpaper was torn and dirty, light switches were grubby and dirty, and the loveseat/sofa was dirty, tacky and full of stains. I re-washed all the dishes before we used them as I found the flatware sticky and greasy upon arrival. We had to call the manager to help get the closet door open. The bed was placed right up against the closet wall and the only way we could get the door open was to put the bed at an angle to barely open the door. This was POOR planning! The manager who was on duty when we checked in was excellent. He was helpful and friendly and was the only redeeming factor in our trip. We will not stay here again, even if reno is done.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple