“Joseph and Mary would have passed on this place.”

Rodeway Inn & Suites
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Hayward
Hayward, California, USA
“Joseph and Mary would have passed on this place.”
Reviewed 31 August 2013

In the immortal words of Bette Davis, "What a dump!." This place is filthy. On the first night I quickly discovered how unwise it was to walk around in the room in socks as there was something on both the over-worn stained carpet an bare spotted floor either sticking to or tearing at the material. Not long after this some sort of brownish liquid leaked from the refrigerator, which wasn't at all easy to clean up. The satellite TV rarely kept a signal. Every time the toilet was flushed a very loud creaking noise would blare. The elevator smelled moldy. The laundry room was a pigs sty, and some of the machines where always out of order. The entire place smelled dirty. To top it all off the view from my window was of an empty lot. And not once did I complain, or ask what's up with this place. Even so when I checked out the clerk at the desk was snotty. Understandably a modest hotel at modest prices isn't 5 star, but the Main Stay Suites is a rats nest. A decent homeless shelter probably has better accommodations.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Sparks, Nevada
Reviewed 22 July 2013

First off please listen to these reviews, and dont be like me. I made that mistake and will never do it again.

Now where should i begin....

The checkinn process took nearly 20 minutes. The man behind the desk was in no sort of uniform, and seemed to be on a serious depressant/drug. He did every thing in slow motion and spoke in a tone which no one could hear, had to ask him multiple times to speak up.

Hotel room was not small but TINY. We had booked a double bed with sofa pullout (biggest room they had), and room was so tiny that the pullout had no room to be completly pulled out LOL.

Hotel location is of sort that all night long stuff is happening outside creating disturbing noise with or without window opened. Also let me put it to you this way, the nearest gas station (walking distance) has a bulletproof cage around the cashier area.

Pool has been paved over LOL again.

AND the worst thing of all, the entire second floor including elevator smelled of weed, and i dont meed slight stench i mean stunk of it. Really took the point of having a nonsmoking room away.

Overall I would AVOID at all costs, and yes if it comes down it sleep in your car.

Room Tip: Need a tip to choose a good room? Well dont choose this place at all then.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank BeStrongBelieve

Travellers are raving about these Hayward hotels

Alameda, California
Reviewed 7 June 2013

This motel is worn out. The staff is not very attentive, the rooms are dirty, the furniture is old and torn, the rooms smell bad, the air conditioning is really loud (too loud to use), hookers bring tricks in from parking lot, there is drinking in the parking lot, there are truck parked behind it and they start in the morning, walls are thin, vibrates when people walk in room or down the hall.

"gym" equipment is all broken, pool is paved over. DO NOT BRING CHILDREN HERE

On the plus side, the rate is cheap and the location is central.

How this place keeps it's franchise status as a Choice Hotel is beyond me. It really should not be part of franchise. They do a great disservice to other property owners.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. If you do, request second floor for safety.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank RichardHHead
Minden, Nevada
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Needed a first floor room (noted on my reservation)-mobility impaired. Pool...paved over. Bathroom mold. Remote didn't work... It is the worst Choice Hotel I've ever stayed in and I travel alot for business and pleasure. Dirty...really dirty. I agree with Steve R....I'd rather sleep in my car.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank SANDY H
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 22 February 2013

The location was perfect for our busy trip. We only needed a place to park, sleep, shower and perhaps eat.
Free lighted parking was great and close to the door in the pouring rain..Everything looked clean and well kept. However, when we went into our clean room, as my husband opened the closet door, it came off the track. Then we could not figure out how to operate the remote control. They did send someone to rectify these problems. Other than that, we were very comfortable. It was quiet and there were lots of fluffy white towels. There were restaurants nearby as well.
In the morning, we went for the free breakfast. There was a waffle maker (nice) and batter, cereal, pastries, orange juice, coffee and hot water. To me, it was kind of skimpy. Yes, I would stay there again because of the cleanliness, price and the location.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Trackstars
Camarillo, California
Reviewed 3 September 2012

My husband and I stayed here in 2008 on a trip to San Fransisco. We loved the place and stayed for about three nights then as well as our recent stay of this week 8/29-9/1. We take the Bart system into SF.

The first time we stayed in 2008 we were on the first floor and the place actually won a 3 diamond that year from AAA. This time they had a new owner the place is still very nice but we notice the upkeep wasn't there. It wasn't bad but we noticed in our room on the second floor we had a broken drawer in the Mini kitchen and a few tiles missing from the kitchen as well. We told the front desk about the drawer and they never did fix it. The bathroom towel rack was coming off the wall and all it needed was a new screw in my opinion little stuff like that speaks volumes on the care of the place. The Lobby needed a fresh paint and carpet cleaning just little stuff like that. The elevator needed to be cleaned as well.

The First night of our recent trip we had very inconsiderate nieghbors above us. They were thumping and bumping around untill about 3:00a.m. along with a couple of other things. The third floor is the smoking floor so all the windows were open and we are sure that other people were hearing this too. Thank god it was only one night because I was going to request a different room.

My husband and I will not be back not because we didn't like the place or because of one bad nieghbor but basically because we know that the upkeep isn't there and when we come back in a couple of years it will need more work and that is really a shame because it really is a nice place. Choice Hotels has a very good reputation and unfortunately we have not had very good luck with them lately. It depends on the owners as well.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Terrie113
Anderson, South Carolina
Reviewed 20 February 2012

This is one of the filthiest Choice Hotels I've stayed in, and I stay in this chain 5-10 days a month across the US. OK, there were no bed bugs, I always check. The bed was made although I'm not sure the sheets had been washed. They were old. The floor had not been vacuumed and you could see pieces of someone else's history stuck everywhere on the carpet. The table/workspace had not been wiped clean. The dishes had a greasy residue... etc. You get the picture. Worst of all, when I tried to wash a cup there were human hairs stuck in the dishcloth and drying towel. Holy $#@%! Stay away from this one. I wouldn't stay here again if they payed me their going rate. When I checked out early and told the front desk person why I was leaving sooner than planned (her hotel was a rat hole) she asked me if I wanted another room. Really?

• Stayed February 2012