“Mexican food”

Got a photo?
Add it.
LA Imperial Restaurant
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: Home of the Supreme Buritto.
Description: Home of the Supreme Buritto.
Reviewed 4 January 2012

Don't trust their cleanliness (or lack of). Food is o.k. Good for "gringos" who don't know the diff. Tried it twice. Didn't like either time.

Reviewed 11 September 2011

You know, I ate here about 25 years ago & had bad experience. Decided to try again almost on a dare..... Should have continued my streak. If you dare, check it out, but take a peek at kitchen conditions your "chef" is working in. I almost list it right there.....

Reviewed 6 July 2011

La Imperial is now managed by the youngest son, Martin, who has decided to put a new spin on the restaurant. Every day of the week there are now specials, and beer deals. Tuesday's are now Taco Tuesdays, so all chicken, beef and pork taco's are $2/each ala carte, and tonight there was $2 Tacate's. We left full and happy and with still money in our pockets. All of our friends who we take to La's who don't live near always want to go back when they are in the area. The food is always great and plentiful, the service is always good and with a smile. My family will be going back on a regular basis!

Reviewed 5 July 2011

I moved to the Bay Area almost 14 years ago. When I was getting ready to relocate from So Cal, a friend told me about this place (he attended Cal State Hayward years earlier) so I made a point to check it out after I moved up. It is excellent. I've turned many a friend on to it and we tend to go fairly regularly. Food is a bit different from the Mex I grew up with in San Diego, but it has a really unique flavor that I really liked. A Super Burrito is about 2 or 3 meals for me. The Camarones Al Diablo ROCK!!! So do the Chili Rellenos. Not too sure about what the other reviewer has going on against this place - I have tried the restaurant next door too, and while it wasn't horrible, I was unimpressed. Staff at La Imperial are friendly and it's a happy, informal atmosphere, with a decent beer selection too! Seems like there are a lot of regulars They started adding specials recently and list them on their Facebook page - the special is about perfect meal-size too - if you don't want to bring half a burrito home :o) I recommend this place any day.

Reviewed 18 November 2009

Like the last reviewer, I first encountered La Imperial about 30 years ago (when there was a Mexican supermarket in the front half of the restaurant). Though I have moved around the world, whenever I come back to the Bay Area I pop in for some real California-Mexican food. I've introduced many friends and guests to it over the years and not one unhappy diner among them. It hasn't changed much since 1978 when I first came, it's the Home of the Super Burrito but they have many other creative and tasty Mexican dishes as well and great tortilla chips and salsa.

Let's talk about what it is not: a corporate Mexican chain restaurant with flashy margaritas, fancy decorations, and non-spicy overpriced "Mexican"grub. They won't bring sizzling Fajitas to your table, they don't use a fake Mexican accent and call you "amigo," and they don't spend much on decor. It's just a good old eatery with exceptionally tasty food served by the same funny and slightly quirky family members as always.

Another reviewer mentions Los Compadres next door as the real deal....well these two places have been rivals for Hayward diners for many years and have used whatever tricks necessary to steal clients from each other. I've been to Los Compadres and it's not bad, but it isn't La Imperial. Have some chips, then a plate-filling Chicken Super Burrito smothered in salsa and a 25 oz. can of Fosters for under $10 and see if you can finish the meal. You'll be eating leftovers the whole next day. It's an experience not to be missed.

2  Thank howardbrenni