“Best Burgers!”

Dining options: Breakfast
Hayward, California
“Best Burgers!”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The menu and decor hasn't changed much since we came here when I was a kid in the 60's. Definitely the best burgers we've ever had anywhere. Wonderful, huge shakes in old fashion soda glasses and you get the can too (it's like getting 2 shakes). One order of fries is enough for 2-3 people. Love them for breakfast too. Get here early because parking can be difficult. They are cash only so come prepared.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank DoreneH_12

• Turkish first
Fremont, California
“Mouthwatering”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

There is no better burger or shake in Hayward!!!!
Always busy, do not mind the wait it is worth it...
This place is very consistent, the taste and smells make your mouth water as soon as you
drive in their parking lot.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank SweetSee
Fresno, California
“The best Burgers in Hayward”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I had been going to Val's regularly for many, many years and then I moved out of the area. Every time that I need to go to Hayward which is about a 3 hour drive I always stop here to eat. On April 30th I had to go to a 50th Anniversary Event and afterward decided to go their to lunch. I had my brother meet me there also. I was surprised he never had known about this place before and he just loved it. Said he was going to bring the rest of the family. The Burgers are great. In fact everything I have tried over the year is good. They give big portions! You can get a Baby, Mama or Papa Burgers. The Baby is still big. I believe 1/2 pound. You will have to wait to be seated as the place is very small. I would try to eat after the noon rush. It is closed on Mondays and the only thing I noticed that was new this time is you have to pay in "Cash" only. They do not take any credit cards at all. Service is good. We had 3 different people checking up on us for refills, etc.

• Visited April 2014
San Lorenzo, California
“The same since I was a kid.”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I've been eating at Val's since the early 1970's. Everything is still just as good as it was then, and you can't say that about too many places.

I remember the first time I watched them making milkshakes. The guy filled the cup with ice cream, squirted a little milk, then hit the blender. Then, more ice cream, a splash of milk, and more blender. Then more ice cream, milk, etc... Basically it was 99% ice cream with just a little milk for lubrication, lol.

In all the times I've been there, I have never had a bad meal. And I've been stuffed every single time. :)

The only caveat is parking. The lot is ALWAYS full, and not easy for large vehicles to negotiate. Bring as few cars as possible and save your sanity.

• Visited February 2014
Hayward, California
“Diner for the Hungry”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Vals is a great place for a throw back in time, and it's not a good place for a diet. One can enjoy a nice big breakfast or a simple burger and fries. The people there are wonderful. Get ready for a wait at peak times, but the nice casual tasty dining experience is worth it.

Oh yes, Bring CASH... no cards are accepted.

• Visited March 2014