“DO NOT STAY HERE! BEYOND DISCUSTING! They are racist and shady”

Super 8 Hayward Downtown
Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Hayward
Reviewed 15 September 2010

I am ashamed to say i have stayed here once. First of all, The rate outside said $45, they charged me $65. When i got to my room it smelled bad and the lights did not work, the toilet did not work (to flush it i had to lift the top off and stick my hand in dirty water and pull the plug) the remote did not work. The hot water did not work. I went to tell the lady downstairs & to try to get a refund and she sent her husband up to my room & when he went in the room. HE FIXED EVERTHING and then came back down and told me that everything is working fine and i was wrong!! SHADY!!!!!! I told them that was shady of him and i wanted a refund and they proceeded to yell at me and call me a stupid american & told me that americans are stupid!! & flipped me off as i was leaving. At that point i needed someone to hold me back. Don't even bother staying there... They are racist and shady!!

Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lindytaytay
supe8hayward, Manager at Super 8 Hayward Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2010

The guest has stated that they were charged $65.00 for a room when the rate was suppose to be $45.00. We have two buildings at Super 8. The $45.00 rate is for one of the buildings and the second building has the $65-75 rates. The $45.00 rate was unavailable, therefore the guest was given a $5 discount on the rate and was offered a $60.00 rate.

The guest complained that everything in the room wasn't working, when in fact we had our maintenance team check the room to verify that everything in the room was fully functional. The guest had used the room and expected a refund.

The guest also complained about racial remarks made by the front desk clerk. These accusations are false. The guest was upset they could not get a refund for a room they used and did not want to pay for.

Reviewed 16 December 2009

We were two African- Americans trying to check in late at night. I presented my discover card, and the night manager said at first that they accepted cash only. When I pointed out to him that the sign at the door showed credit cards, he then said they don't take discover cards, I looked again at the door sign and saw the discover logo. He then took my card. It was also obvious that there were plenty of rooms available, but he sent us to the 4th floor, to a room in the back of the building, and the door card did not work. It was downhill from there. Needless to say, I demanded a full refund (because we ended up locked out of the room when we went out, and the manager did not respond to the door bell when we came back, and couldn't get back in the room). I also wrote them a letter, stating that we believe there are discriminatory practices. I got my refund ($60 dollars), and vowed to NEVER go back there.‎

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Countrytraveler2
supe8hayward, Manager at Super 8 Hayward Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2010

I'm very sorry for your inconvinience. But this hotel is under new management now. We did a lot of remodeling and hired new front desk clerks. I'm very sure your next stay with us will be a much better experience.

Reviewed 12 August 2009

This was the worst motel experience of my life. The room was dirty, not maintained in the least, and shabby. The carpet was stained and covered with cigarette burns and obviously had not been cleaned in ages, if ever.

My parents had to personally go to the motel because the staff would not answer the telephone. When questioned about this the motel clerk replied 'phone broke'. I found that rather curious, because upon my arrival it was quite apparent that the same desk clerk was talking on the office phone - not his cell phone.

The room was paid for by my parents via a credit card - and it wasn't until after I checked out that I saw the very prominent sign that faces the main street in Hayward. It stated that the rate for a single bed room was $45.00. They charged my folks $65!

My reservation had been made and the room paid for my 3-day stay. Two days prior to my arrival my Dad went to the motel and paid for an additional day as I was going to be getting into town earlier than first anticipated. I spent exactly one night in that horrible room....and only because my 12-hour drive had wiped me out and I was too tired to look elsewhere for accomodations.

I left my room during the day to visit with family, and when I returned a few hours later I found that I had been locked out!! I went to the office to find out what the problem was and was informed that I had only paid for one night!! When I asked about all of my clothes and personal affects that I had in there, I was informed that the maid had collected everything and put it in 'storage'. At that point I was FURIOUS!!! The motel's God-awful bookkeeping system was being blamed on the 'mix-up'...but I wasn't buying it. When I told the female desk clerk that 4 nights had been reserved and paid for - not just the 1 as she claimed, she walked over to a computer and located the correct information immediately. She never apologized, only tried to 'explain' the reasoning behind my forced eviction. I had to wait nearly 40 minutes while this same clerk went to retrieve my personal belongings from 'storage'. Imagine my anger when she finally showed up dragging a suitcase and a huge plastic trash bag - with all of my clean clothes and wet towels plus cosmetics and an ashtray (still full of butts) all inside!!!

It's a miracle that I was able to refrain from just totally letting loose on this incredibly arrogant desk clerk. The only thing that stopped me was the thought of spending the next three days in jail.

Anyone who even considers staying in this hell-hole has got to be certifiably out of their mind!!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank sdchargers13
Reviewed 1 March 2009

Gross - Probably rented by the hour - First room had broken toilet and dirty room, moved to second room, full of ashes, dirty, stuff on walls, cob webs, dirty bathroom, floors not vaccummed, mold all over, stuff dripping down the walls and dried, mold in the fridge, carpets have not been cleaned in very long time (sticky), ashed smeared on the bathroom walls and clock radio, TV buttons sticky and dirty, (see photo's). Poor customer service, was ignored when walked into lobby, finally someone else came out from back room to check us in. At 8:45 am office was still closed. Shame on Super 8 for letting this slum lord use their name.

The Window locks were broken in such a manner they looked like they were locked, but the window could be opened, the door jamb was broken like it was kicked in, hall ways were dirty and needed to be pressure washed, rain gutters overflowing, hundreds of cigarettes all over the landscaping, The air conditioner was full of food and trash (see photo)

Zoom in on the photo's to see the dirt and mold.

"The best part was leaving with my life." Thanks Alaska Air for booking me in this Hell Hole of a preferred travel partner of your.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank ewrjghtdovmgktoyio
Reviewed 23 January 2009

This place is a dump. The rooms were dirty and noisy. The bathroom sink did not work. It seemed as if the management was renting the rooms by the hour.

The very surly night manager demanded cash only for the stay, the lobby was never actually open for breakfast. I cut my stay short, and for over an hour couldn't get anyone to check me out and give me a refund.

Super 8 corporate (wyndam) couldn't care less about my complaints. I would never stay here again nor would I let any one I know.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank LVTravelerLasVegas
Reviewed 26 August 2008

Our non-smoking room clearly smelled of cigarette. The walls were really thin. We could hear our next door neighbor talking on the phone and we even heard him snore in the middle of the night.
The towels looked old and dirty and were like sandpaper.
We didn't get to eat breakfast because the lobby/front office was still closed at 8:30 am.
Thank god there was a IHOP just a block away.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LaurenRiverside
Reviewed 14 May 2008

I dont want to be super critical over a motel I got at a deceint price but ... really; Being their for several days, It all just added up to this review.
First, after checking in, then hanging up my garment bag, the rack falls to the floor; look at the floor, and it looks and smells is if it may have been last cleaned/shampooed 2 years ago. Then I really checked out the bed and rest of the room. The bed was clean and soft.. wow.. impressed! So we stayed! The bed linen was okay but later noticed embedded brown stains on one of the pillow cases. All the towels were almost wafer thin and felt like sandpaper... (no pumice needed!). Luckily we brought our own.
A couple of days passed with no improvement; We actually started noticing holes in the linen and more stains. Upon leaving one day I took some pictures that may explain why.... The bedsheets were being used as sacks, outside on the ground by housekeeping. (see photos)
After spraying the room with a half bottle of Lysol and using our own towels, the room was acceptable. It was roomy and somewhat clean.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business