“Not a Good Choice”

Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Hayward
Torrance, California
“Not a Good Choice”
Reviewed 20 June 2012

Regret staying here. It was the only hotel available in the area, due to graduation ceremonies in the nearby schools. As I was heading to my assigned room, I noticed the parking lot dirty. Elevator dirty and building run down and not kept up. Parking lot spaces narrow and hard to park and get out of parking lot. Came into the room, and room seemed nice and clean. Bed nice and soft, but next morning my son saw roaches on my bed. Hotel offers free breakfast, so went to lobby and discovered that they do not have a breakfast area to eat or sit. Breakfast is served next to front desk of hotel, and breakfast area was dirty, food all over the place and no refills of any kind being offered nor anyone keeping the area clean or taking care of guests that desired breakfast. You had to eat standing up if you wanted whatever was left for breakfast. For the quality of hotel and service, this hotel is way overpriced. I left the hotel as soon as I could that next morning.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Mavalyn E E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
San Bernardino, California
Reviewed 30 March 2012

I had to make a last minute business trip to Hayward last month, and found an affordable rate at the Days Inn. The hotel was conveniently located near the highway, and looks newer than most other properties in the area. Check in was smooth and front desk was very friendly and helpful. Room was clean with a large Samsung flat panel TV that included more channels than I expect from most hotels. Free wireless internet worked (WORKED!) reliably and there was a small sofa and desk for me to do some work in the evening. I was in a rush in the morning so I did not get a chance to try the free breakfast, but I saw waffles, muffins, pastries and such. I however, did not see any tables to sit at for breakfast, so I guess guests need to take items back to their room, or sit on one of the lobby chairs. An overall pleaseant stay in Hayward for me.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank NealG2215
Hayward, California
Reviewed 22 March 2012

I am telling you, this place is GREAT!! It's convenient, it's clean, it's spacious, the entire staff is courteous, and it's affordable. I would encourage any and everyone to stay there if you are in the area, and I will most assuredly be going back. VERY SOON!!

Room Tip: The suites are the spot!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Bakari510
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed 4 February 2012

No price jacking for extended stay like other places in town check in and extend at same rate. Walking distance to Hayward airport, Clean Room, Friendly Staff, Satellite TV, Pretty Quiet "just normal city noises" not much for night life in the area in walking distance except for a local Mexican dive bar across the street but friendly to out of towners. The pizza place that is across the street has really good pizza and free delivery to your room. Stay away from the Vietnamese restaurant the food and service is poor and you dont get what is on the description on the menu. There is Laundry Mat around the corner is low cost and has same-day fast service. I will say at the days inn again for sure..

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Steven_Rhine
BOULDER CREEK
Reviewed 20 January 2012

I've stayed here twice, about a year apart. My room was very clean, the staff kind and helpful. Granted, I came from the Santa Cruz mountains, where "quiet" is a given - but despite my sensitivity to noise, the room was comfortably quiet (for being on a major city street). I would happily book another reservation here, given the opportunity and need. I enjoyed nice chats with manager each morning at breakfast - which was tasty and abundant. Great value, all around, for the money.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank kimstacey
Montvale NJ
Reviewed 2 March 2011

This was a place I chose simply on the lowest price. It's very affordable, but there are many concessions. It is right next to the highway, so the hotel is fairly noisy. The rooms are OK for sleeping, but not very clean or well maintained. The location is convenient for highway access, and there is plenty of dining nearby. It's has a fairly gritty feel to it, but it offers all the basics a low budget traveler would need.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Hayward hotels

So. California
Reviewed 4 February 2011

Days Inn Hayward has got to be the worst hotel I have ever stayed in including the one I rented in Phoenix AZ that came with no drapes on the window and a cat that had defecated all over the room prior to check in.

It was supposed to be a non-smoking room which it clearly was not. It was supposed to be handicap accessible, which they called it based on one grab bar inside the bath tub that no handicap person could possibly get into to reach said grab bar. On entering the room the lights failed to work. The desk clerk repeatedly jumped up smacking the light fixture until it finally glowed dimly. His explanation was they were energy saving bulbs and sometimes took some doing to get to light.

They printed out a contract saying I would be billed a $200 cleaning fee if it was determined I smoked anything but tobacco in the room (remember, this is supposed to be a non-smoking room to begin with.) and that I would be billed for any damage. I hand wrote on the contract that I would not be paying for the broken chair in the room. The clerk offered to remove the chair from the room, I said that would be good, but he never made any attempt to remove the chair.

While I was standing outside the room I noticed the local sheriff going through the parking lot running all the license plates of the vehicles there. I found myself hoping they would make numerous trips through the lot although I did not see them again, even when my car alarm went off.

The surrounding area was apparently near enough to a hospital that we heard sirens until we finally gave up and left at 4am, over tired with a long ride ahead.

On arriving home I was going over my credit card statements to find that in addition to charging me for the room, I was being charged an additional $181.80 with no explanation. Since these charges were made on 1-13-11 this was weeks before our stay which was on 1-30-11. I contacted my credit card company and am contesting these charges, but now believe I will have to keep an eagle eye on the statements that come in to insure they have not charged me for more things not authorized. In addition to staying away from all Days Inn's in future, I also would avoid using hotelplanner.com to book any stays.

Hotelplanner.com was unavailable by telephone to discuss the billing problem and was not helpful when called to verify the handicap accommodations supposedly available at the hotel. I would not recommend this hotel to an enemy let alone a friend.

Added note: they have free internet but since it is not secured in anyway, it is not safe to use.

• Stayed January 2011
1 Thank silvatungfox
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hayward
Vagabond Inn Executive Hayward
Best Western Plus Inn of Hayward
Hampton Inn Oakland-Hayward
La Quinta Inn & Suites Hayward Oakland Airport
Quality Inn Hayward Hotel
Castro Valley Inn
Castro Valley Inn
#3 of 5 in Castro Valley

Been to Days Inn Hayward Airport? Share your experiences!