“great afternoon at GFW”

Gary Farrell Winery
Ranked #9 of 155 things to do in Healdsburg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Open By Appointment Only. In the heart of the beautiful Russian River Valley, Gary Farrell Vineyards & Winery offers a proud 33-year winemaking history and a unique sense of place. Perched atop a ridge along winding Westside Road, the winery offers a spectacular view of the sweeping valley below. Gary Farrell Winery benefits immeasurably from its long-term relationships with many of the Russian River Valley's most celebrated and sought-after vineyards including Rochioli, Allen, and Hallberg to name a few. Gary Farrell Winery helped put Russian River Valley Pinot Noir and Chardonnay on the world stage, and the hallmark Gary Farrell wine style remains one of balance, elegance, texture and sense of place. Today these acclaimed wines can be enjoyed on our intimate outdoor terrace and the view from our winery completes the picture.
Los Angeles, California
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“great afternoon at GFW”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

We were a little early to our destination and my boyfriend said he had wanted to stop at Gary Farrell and had never had the chance. Since we were headed that way, we called and were told to come by. What a lovely place with fabulous views, outdoor seating or inside. We remained inside and had a lovely explanation and introduction to the wines. The woman who helped us was knowledgeable and friendly.

I'm not a white fan, nor a Rosé fan. But there was something special about their whites and we wound up buying two bottles of the rosé and a white as well. Their reds were great, too. The wines have great balance and are never too sweet. We were thrilled that we had stopped.

Next time we will plan ahead and book a table outside!

Great place.

Visited May 2014
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Cambridge, United Kingdom
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Great wine. Ok tasting room and tasting experience.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

One reason why I tend to go wine tasting in this area as opposed to Napa is to avoid the tour buses full of people who just want to get smashed and could care less about the wine, or having an enjoyable wine tasting experience. Unfortunately, this winery is full of those people. If you love, Pinot Noir, which I do. You will LOVE all the wines, but perhaps not the experience. Also, many of wineries in this are are dog friendly, but not this one. Also, I love having a bit of a picnic experience at the winery, and there wasn't really a great outdoor area to enjoy your wine.

Visited June 2014
Houston, Texas
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Rude!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

We were there in April, and they weren't busy at all. It was the fifth winery we'd visited, so we had something to compare it to. The best thing about the experience: the view. Worst: they were rude and were dismissive of our party of four.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank 357virginiad
GF_Winery, Director of Sales at Gary Farrell Winery, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Good Morning,

I am very sorry to hear that your visit to Gary Farrell Winery did not meet your expectations and I apologize if there was something our team did to disappoint you.

I'd very much like to learn more of the details about your experience with us and would appreciate you reaching out to me directly at stephanie@garyfarrellwinery.com or 707-473-2903. I would like to see how we might resolve this for you and also ensure that we prevent any sort of similar situation with future guests.

Stephanie Friedman
Director, Consumer Sales & Marketing
Gary Farrell Vineyards & Winery
Saint Louis, Missouri
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Rude”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Arrived late afternoon, with 8 friends. Only 7 of us wanted to taste. Our 8th person was driving. It was late afternoon. 2 of their players were outside drinking wine. 2 employees inside; one helping a couple sharing a tasting. When we asked for a tasting we were told we had too many people and needed a reservation. Then the female employee lined us up and began talking about each wine while walking and pouring. She was finished with us in 15 minutes. We had been club members. We complained via e-mail to the manager for the tasting room. He was very apologetic and promised to get back to us. We had to ask for a response. Basically he blew us off and didn't remember what he discussed with us. We are now letting everyone know to avoid Gary Farrell Winery. Maybe it won't do much damage but among 4 couples we know a lot of people.

Visited September 2013
Andy B, Director of Sales at Gary Farrell Winery, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Hi Kweenbt,

Thank you for your feedback and I am sorry to hear that your visit to Gary Farrell did not meet your expectations. I wish we could have received your feedback 9 months ago when you visited, as it is difficult now to ascertain what may have happened during your visit and when you followed up with our Tasting Room Manager.

I understand why you may have felt unwelcome, but unfortunately we do require that groups larger than 6 make an advance appointment, as the tasting room host mentioned. This policy is reflected on our website (and as of Jan 1, 2014 we have a sign at the property entrance on busy days/weekends to better prepare visitors before they arrive); it applies to club members and non-members. Unfortunately, it is extremely difficult for small wineries like Gary Farrell to effectively accommodate large groups without reservation, particularly in the late afternoon in September when the tasting room is at its peak visitation. We also have to be considerate of the experience of our other winery guests and those with a reservation, and we do our best to manage this balance. I sincerely apologize if this was not well-communicated and that you were still disappointed after our host conducted your wine tasting.

I also apologize if there was any lack of communication on behalf of of our TR manager, and he and I have spoken about this. As I mentioned though, it is very difficult to understand what may have happened 9 months after this occurred.

I'd be pleased to make this up to you on your next visit if you would give us another chance. Please feel free to reach out to me directly at stephanie@garyfarrellwinery.com or (707) 473-2903. Thank you again for your feedback and understanding.

All the best,
Stephanie Friedman
Director, Consumer Sales & Marketing
Dallas, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Sonoma County”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

One of the highlights of our trip! It was a perfect day, awesome view, and very informative and enjoyable one on one discussion with Andy regarding wine making in general, and in particular at Gary Ferrell Vineyards. Just received my shipment today and so excited to relive our time there!

Rebecca S.