“Modern, eco friendly hotel in central Wine Country California” 3 of 5 bubbles

H2 Hotel
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Healdsburg
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
San Jose, California
“Modern, eco friendly hotel in central Wine Country California”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

This is a European style hotel with clean, modern decor and a focus on environmental friendliness. You have to put a hotel key card in the main power control by the room door in order to turn on the electricity. I have only ever seen this in Norway. The room was spacious, and I liked the hard wood floors because I have allergies. Each room has a small balcony, but ours was useless as it was at the front of the hotel where there was a lot of noise and zero privacy. There are full-sized toiletries in the bathroom, which you pay for if you take them with you.
We visited on a very busy September weekend when there were lots of weddings going on. We had made a reservation several months ago, to attend an anniversary party, and were forced to spend two nights just to get a reservation. It was cheaper to stay Saturday and Sunday rather than Friday and Saturday, despite which it was still pretty expensive! And we had to use valet parking because the town was so crowded, for an additional $20 a night.
I had no issues with the staff. I thought they were very friendly. The breakfast (included in the cost) was very good and included numerous options.
The bed was comfy but there was a heck of a lot of street noise, as our room was at the front of the hotel. Saturday night partyers seemed to hang out on the sidewalk well after midnight. Noisy, rambunctious drivers revved past during the night (the street is the main drag coming in from highway 101). Then the delivery trucks started arriving at five o'clock in the morning. If you can, ask for a room at the back of the hotel!
The hotel restaurant, Spoonbar, is one of our favorites in Healdsburg. (Another favorite is Zin.) This is why we decided to stay at the hotel, but I won't stay there again unless I can get a quieter room.
The location is central to many of the Sonoma County wineries so if that is the focus of your trip, I recommend the town but do explore other options for a hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel where it might be quieter.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
palm beach, fl
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

You will see that most reviews give this hotel very high ratings, and for good reason. This is a very nice hotel in a great location. There are some nice touches (pool, bikes, good water to drink).
BUT -- this place is run more like a hostel than a hotel.
The bar doubles as reception. This could be fine, but there is no one available to treat you like a hotel guest.
The staff are all very young kids complete with young kid piercings and tattoos. This is fine for a hostel, but dont try and ask anyone anything.
By way of example: we wanted to make a day trip to Bodega Bay. I asked the staff at the reception station where to go for a nice lunch. The answer I got: "oh, I usually pack my own, and make a picnic on the beach."
This was interesting so I asked if the hotel could pack us a lunch. The answer: "NO".
This could be a great hotel -- its an expensive, nice, hostel.
By the way, room service -- dont even think about it.

Green Features: Nice refillable water bottles with filtered water. It would have been nice to have light switch next to the bed -- you have to get out of bed to turn off the reading lights.
2 Thank rslcb
Oxford, OH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

I was staying with a group in Healdsburg, the heart of Sonoma wine country an this was my hotel for 5 nights and I loved it. It is green and sparse with a great feel, the people were nice if stereotypically tattooed. If you are going to give me good bagels and lox every morning I am going to have it instead of some good granola and site made yogurt. I loved my room the placement of the AC has it blowing on you in bed so that took some fixing but it was a great room with wonderful shower and cold sparkling and regular water in the fridge for free. It is close to the square and it was a nice place to stay. I will say for a green place as far as I could tell then never once left my towel and I didn"t like all the lights left on for my return, it was a waste of energy, but these are minor points in a great stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
San Diego, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

I stayed here one night, my flight had been cancelled and H2 was the only hotel that was available last minute with a room. The woman at the front desk was very nice and helpful, they had a toothbrush and toothpaste for me and she even offered to let me borrow a charger for my phone. The problems started when I got into my room. There were ants in the bed, there was a disgusting black stain on the sheets right where you would put your head, there was loud banging coming from downstairs throughout the night, and there was a mouse running around the room on the wood floors all night. What was even worse, when I emailed the hotel about the issues, they completely ignored me. I had attempted to tell the man at the front desk about the issues when I checked out early the next morning, but he said there was nothing he can do since I am checking out, which is why I emailed and was AGAIN ignored. I will NEVER stay here again, and I do not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank Christy B
Pittsburgh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

I think this is a slightly above average hotel in Healdsburg. I'm not sure what all the rave reviews are about, but I do think it is a nice place to stay. I think the part that most most disappointing was the very unwelcoming staff and environment. It is a bit like you are staying at a restaurant/bar with a hotel, not a hotel with a restaurant/bar. Also my impression of the staff is they are not interested in the guests and don't really attempt to make you feel welcome.

The rooms are ok. I liked the bathroom the best. The bed was a bit mushy and I didn't care for the flooring (no carpet so it felt a bit dirty and sticky which is kind of creepy). Also the noise is a real issue. Everything that happens in the hallway at night is loud and clear in your room. Plus the walking around on the floor above our room was annoying while you are trying to sleep.

I love contemporary design, but I think this design is more stark and cheap looking than high-end contemporary.

I would look at other options to be honest next time we are in Healdsburg.

1 Thank mmth308
Garden City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

Friendly staff. Clean and modern accommodations. Continental breakfast included. Easy stroll into town. Restaurants and stores nearby. Drive to nearby wineries. Bicycles available to use. Helpful staff.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

One of the best hotels I've stayed in - not the fanciest or flashiest but very modern and some great features. Only sad we didn't stay another night. A few things I thought were great in particualr...

- great relaxing pool area - was small but its a boutique hotel so dont think this will be an issue - lovely salt water pool
- no water bottles provided but there are water stations on every floor for both sparkling and still water - they provide glasses and carafes to fill up. LOVE This! So much better than plastic water bottles
- restaurant was fantastic - a bit expensive, but really nice and delicious food
- complimentary breakfast, also very nice. Mainly cold items - granola, bagels, etc. but also can get eggs/omelettes
- upon arrival, they provide quite a few coupons for free or 2 for 1 tastings at local vineyards, we arrived after we had done our wine touring for the day and were heading out of town the next day, but a great tip if you check in earlier and still have some tasting left
- bikes available for personal use, again sad we couldn't take advantage but I think this is a great idea esp since bike rentals in wine towns can be on the pricier side.

Heasldburg is very small so location is great, but so is pretty much all other hotels there too!

Overall highly recommended - more than one night if you can!

Green Features: Love the water stations - brilliant idea. Perfect balance between traditional hotel while being very green.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Healdsburg
Hotel Healdsburg
#1 of 2 in Forestville
Vintners Inn
Vintners Inn
#2 of 25 in Santa Rosa

Been to H2 Hotel? Share your experiences!