“Happy Times @ H2”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
NY
“Happy Times @ H2”
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Second times we stayed at H2 & it could not have been better. Rooms & Baths are large & kept immaculate. The beds are super comfortable. Room included Breakfast Buffet Oatmeal, Cold Cereal, Bagels & Loxes made to order Waffles, Slice Fruit Coffee & Juice etc etc
H2 also has a very nice bar & pretty good restaurant . They also have seltzer fountains on very floor quite unique. We picked up some chocolate syrup & made egg-creams
Could not have asked for more. It's a great hotel in a great location.

We will be back

Room Tip: Our rooms faced East had balconies overlooking the main road but road noise is really not an issue T...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank WereHere

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
No. California
Reviewed 5 March 2014

There are some very good things about this hotel--some just average. The good:
1. Location. Can leave your car and walk to excellent restaurants, shops, etc. after your day driving to wineries.
2. Friendliness. The staff is very friendly and helpful.
3. Comfortable bed.
4. Clean well appointed room.
5. Good breakfast included
The average:
1. Thermostat did not seem to work well--too cold or hot.
2. Junior suite a very narrow room. During the nice weather when the patio doors could be open it would probably be very comfortable and nice to get outside, too, but in the winter it was a little cramped.
3. Lobby and restaurant chilly in the winter--not conducive to staying around long.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 100db
Singapore
Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

Was in sonoma for 1 night and stayed at H2. Location is great and has a hyper market just walking distant away.

Chic and modern. Rooms are comfortable and pretty huge. Has a nice bar and breakfast is fast and of good selections.

Will be back

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank TheVinesNBranches
justinnewton
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

At a hotel, you have one primary job. That is to provide a good place to sleep. In this regard, the H2 hotel fails miserably. For me there are 4 things that contribute to a good night's sleep.

1) is the bed comfortable - yes, the bed was very comfortable and the linens were high quality.

2) is the room quiet - our room was in no way quiet at night. Rather than keep sounds out, it seemed that somehow our room amplified sounds both from inside the lobby of the hotel as well as from the street out front. I live on a busy street in Los Angeles that is a corridor for both buses and fire trucks, and it is MUCH quieter in our front yard there than it was in our H2 Hotel room.

3) is the room dark - nope. The shutters they have over the windows and sliding glass doors to the outside don't close completely or seal on the sides. Combined with the lights right outside our room, it meant we had light streaming into our bedroom all night. I awoke (multiple times) in the middle of the night, thinking it was morning because of the amount of light coming in.

4) is the temperature comfortable. - no. The thermostat in the room didn't really seem to do anything to change the room temperature.

So, on the core value proposition of "Do they provide a good place to sleep," H2 fails in 3 out of 4 categories. I have had a darker, quieter room at Motel 6's by the side of the Interstate.

On to the secondary characteristics. The Spoonbar restaurant is excellent. I have nothing but good things to say about the food and staff. Our meal was excellent, our waiter was on it, and the cocktails were delicious. The price was also very reasonable for the meal we got there.

The staff at the H2 were be nice and seemed to want to be very helpful, but.....

They were very understaffed and unorganized. Is was true at checkin and throughout our experience. For example, at checking we were told the valet was outside, but after waiting 10-15 minutes we couldn't find him, and the front desk didn't have a way to reach him other than for us to wait. He did eventually show.

Every time we went by the front desk, either to checkin, to ask a question, etc, there was a line, and the front desk staff, although VERY nice, were clearly rushed.

In my mind this hotel failed on basically every front, other than the restaurant. The room wasn't set up to be good to sleep in, and the hotel was not staffed to provide anywhere near the level of service that the hotel charges for. Although the hotel and rooms are beautiful, the experience received was more like that at a $100 a night hotel room, not like one where we paid 5 times more than that.

I will not go back to the H2 and I will be telling my friends of my experience.

His is a hotel that focused on getting the wrong things right, and forgot about the core experience they are supposed to be providing.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank justinnewton
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Stayed at H2 for 5 days in September while celebrating our wedding anniversary in wine country. The hotel has a perfect location on the main square of Healdsburg and was walking distance to every restaurant we ate at. The rooms were just my style: contemporary, clean and green. Great bathroom and shower and comfortable bed. The water stations and glass jars were a nice touch as you want to stay hydrated when you are drinking wine all day/every day! The complimentary breakfast every morning was nice and appetizers and cocktails at SpoonBar were also very good. We were also greeted with a complimentary bottle of wine to celebrate our anniversary... nice touch!

My only complaint: There were a few staff members that could have been more helpful. I called a few months before our trip to see if the concierge could help us plan out some winery visits and arrange a driver. First time I called the man that answered at front desk was really rude and basically said "we don't have a concierge, we can't help". OK?... So then I called again a few days later and they put me through to concierge at Hotel Healdsburg (sister hotel) who never called me back. I finally got a random call with no warning from a guy who said "I heard you want a car, it's $75 an hour" and that was it. I ended up just booking wineries and transportation on my own. I've relied heavily on concierge services when traveling in the past and was pretty shocked at the lack of help when 90% of their guests are probably staying there so they can see/tour wine country. Also, the woman at check-in was not very friendly and again made me feel a bit stupid for asking questions about parking, nearby wineries, etc. There were obviously a lot of staff members that were very friendly and helpful, but definitely a few that could use a lesson or two in customer service.

All in all, the hotel is great! I highly recommend for couples. Hotel Healdsburg is definitely a more classic and luxurious hotel but H2 checked all of our boxes for a lot less money.

Green Features: Really appreciated the green touches throughout the hotel. Especially the water stations and glass water bottles!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chicago31
USA
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Very comfortable bed and quiet room (#406). Did not eat here other than breakfast, which is served at a buffet with lots of choices. Plenty of very good restaurants in town. Great town to walk in, town square in center. Cute shops, great coffee at Flying Goat (I think it's called). Lots of hiking nearby, great for cycling and running. And of course vineyards everywhere! Hotel does not have parking but there is a nearby lot where you can park for free.....
Good farmer's market near hotel (on weekend, in season).

Room Tip: Room 406 has a balcony with nice view and is one of the larger rooms.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Roofbeam
Fossano, Italy
Reviewed 6 January 2014

The architecture was awesome and the location is fantastic.
Sleeping was a piece of cake with such comfy beds - hard to get out in the morning. However the breakfast was a good enough incentive to get up. With a huge spread, they had fresh ingredients and even omelets and waffles to order, all complimentary!
Riding the hotel bikes was definitely worth it and get there early because everyone has the same idea.
We even ate at the bar one night and the food and cocktails were very nicely done. You can even get a free appetizer if you are staying there.
If I had to note one negative thing, it would be that there are not many snack options late night. My husband even went down to the bar at 10:30 pm to get a nightcap but they said the bar was closed. Although the bar/restaurant is closed at lunch too, we were able to get a beer out by the pool anyway.
Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel to everyone!

Room Tip: No big tubs in the basic lower priced rooms.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank winesavi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Healdsburg
Hotel Healdsburg
#7 of 9 in Healdsburg
Farmhouse Inn
Farmhouse Inn
#1 of 2 in Forestville

Been to H2 Hotel? Share your experiences!