“Form over function”
Review of Spoonbar

Spoonbar
Reserve with OpenTable
Spoonbar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 100 Restaurants in Healdsburg
Price range: US$20 - US$30
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Mill
Description: Spoonbar Chef Louis Maldonado serves a menu of clean and simple dishes honoring America’s diverse culinary influences. His artfully-crafted, market-driven cuisine of fresh, bold flavors is built around seasonally-inspired local and sustainable ingredients. The same focus carries over to Spoonbar’s cocktails which use specially sourced organically-grown herbs, fruits and vegetables with an emphasis on locally and domestically produced spirits. Freeform tables made from reclaimed acacia surround a long, communal table crafted from a split tree. Splashes of color—from the turquoise Eames chairs to the golden floral three dimensional wall art—brighten the open space like dappled sunshine filtering through summer leaves. On warm days and evenings the restaurant’s Cantina doors open up to sidewalk dining.
Reviewed 12 October 2013

So over this place! great style, imaginative drinks, even more imaginative dishes... We can't count how many times we've gone back over the last several months, and each time we've been so disappointed we've now decided just to take a break. The noise is so bad that while it might be fine if you're a twosome huddled close, it's impossible to hear more than that without shouting. So if you look around, you'll see that's just what everyone is doing - shouting! The hip style of the architecture provides nothing to subdue the noise. Form over function seems to be the rule here.
The imaginative drinks are often so complicated that even those featured can't be replicated. So if you find one you like, the next time you order it, it's not as good.
The food is often cold, because the dishes are overly complicated. There's a lamb dish that could be so wonderful if only it was simpler and more respectful of the main ingredient.
Get back down to earth, please. It's great to try new things and have fun with your food and drinks menus, but don't get so wrapped up in "different" that you can't perform!

Reviewed 9 October 2013

Very important! CHECK THAT THE FOOD YOU SERVE IS HOT HOT HOT.
I prefer to burn my tongue than have cold food on my plate. I don't like cold steak!

But the flavors of the food are very ok

Reviewed 5 October 2013

I adore small plate restaurants and I actually ate here twice in two weeks - once with friends and a second time with my husband. I enjoyed it both times. Table service is excellent and the cocktails are fabulous and beautiful (see my photos) I'm also enjoying how so many restaurants in California seem to be offering complementary house-fizzed sparkling water. Saves me cashola and keeps a gojillion bottles out of the landfills. Win-win baby!

The smashed and crispy marble potatoes are basically like a spherical french fry but DANGIT they are SO delicious! Order two plates, trust me on that one. The local Bolero wheat bread with goat butter is wonderful and I also had the great pleasure of eating the flank steak which was perfectly cooked mid-rare, tender and yummy. I love the open atmosphere at Spoonbar but you definitely have to be prepared with a sweater just in case it's chilly and they have the entire front of the restaurant open to the street. Be warned skinny girls, you might get cold. Definitely would go back again!

Reviewed 21 September 2013

I had dinner here with a group and really had the quintessential Ca food experience. We had small plates to share and it was things like carrots in a goat cheese sauce or wings in lavender honey, etc, etc. They had a nice wine list and though I don't think the staff knew exactly what they were serving they were helpful. Their cocktail menu is great also

Reviewed 3 September 2013

This is always a must dine destination when in Sonoma County. Great creative cuisine both small plates and entrees. Exceptional staff and service. The decor is sleek, sophisticated, but feels casual & warm.