“Better at the Wurst”

Cuisines: German
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Is it possible to just "drive through" a place that is a destination city for thousands? And then to stop and not find a place or two to eat?
We stopped here on our way to Fort Bragg from San Francisco because we wanted to continue our window shopping of the week before. Ordinarily, a sausage and "hot dog" restaurant wouldn't be my choice for a place to eat but we wanted something decent and inexpensive and the woman at the tourist office recommended this place and gave us tickets for free ice cream!...good choice.
I had a tasty, fragrant vegetarian sausage (that had great mouth-feel) and Sophia's salad and my spouse had a Provencial Pig (French flavors with shallots, green onions and spices) that he paired with a beer, a nice change for wine country.
The seating was so, so but the price (inexpensive) and the quick service made up for the atmosphere.

Reviewed 5 October 2013

Meat lover clocking in!! I ate here twice in a week. First time I had a salad with a sausage on top and it was wonderful. TONS of flavor in these sausages to be sure! The second time I had a burger which was also very good but when the place is known for sausages I really should have stayed with the tried and true and ordered a sausage. SUPER casual, indoor and outdoor seating, and some interesting (presumably homemade?) condiments like curry ketchup and some yummy mustards. Great place to stop for a high quality lunch that's quick!

Reviewed 4 October 2013

Even vegetarians can find something good here! Great selection of dogs and burgers and beers! Enjoy sitting outside and meeting neighbors. Perfect for take out, too

Reviewed 29 September 2013

I had the Spanish Harlem which is a choriso sausge. I put onions and saurkraut on it and it was delicious. Service is great, nice outdoor seating. I also had the cole slaw which is a more German style with vinager not maynoaise. The sweet potato fries are wonderful.

Reviewed 26 September 2013

Some of you folks who aren't from the mid-West might be thinking, why would I ever want a taste of the fly-over states, especially if I'm in wine country?! That is because you have never tasted of the delicacies on offer. Do your taste-buds a favor and go to The Wurst.

All the sausages at The Wurst are either shipped in from where sausage-making is an art (eg: the Detroit Polish -- poetry in a bun) OR specially made locally by Californian foodies dedicated to creating an amazing product. I have had better bratwurst than the Sheboyan brat at The Wurst, but _only_ in Europe, and honestly, the difference in taste was only very slight -- the brat there makes you wish you had room for another one.

The Detroiter who had the brilliant idea to create this restaurant also knew that the best thing to wash down a good sausage is Faygo pop in the traditional glass long-neck bottle, which is really a Detroit thing that everyone else is missing out on. Try a Rock and Rye -- it will change your world. He even has "Red Pop," which blew my mind. (In case you can't tell, I was born in Detroit but don't get to go home very often, so this taste of home was a real treat.)

There are tons of other things on the menu which I didn't have a chance to try, despite the fact that I had four meals there in one week. I was too busy feasting on sausages to check out the salads and burgers (although I did dig into some potato salad that is very worthwhile). There's a nice selection of wine, and a _very_ nice selection of unusual beers on tap.

The restaurant itself is laid-back in a way that perfectly blends mid-western friendliness with California casual comfort. There's outdoor seating with effective heaters, so you can enjoy the California air and a glimpse of Healdsburg's leafy main square while you eat. There's indoor seating for very hot or very cold weather. The staff is efficient, friendly, and attentive. The owner will come by and chat with you if he's there (which is seems he generally is). He's a former punk band member of a band you'll remember if you were into punk, and an all-around interesting, intelligent, and friendly guy.