“OKay, Expected More”

Mateo's Cocina Latina
Reserve with OpenTable
Mateo's Cocina Latina is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #33 of 98 Restaurants in Healdsburg
Price range: US$14 - US$35
Cuisines: Latin
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Home Style
Cross street: Matheson St
Description: California, French, Latin
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I read about this restaurant in Sunset Magazine. We go to Healdsburg twice a year, so I quickly phoned for reservations for Sat. night. I wanted to have what the magazine raved about the Tacones but was talked out of it by the waitress. I ordered the Shrimp special, and when it arrived I thought I wouldn't be able to eat 1/4 of the platae. I ended up eating it all because the shrimp was teeny tiny things with the shell still on. By the time you took the shell off, there was nothing there. Not a bite, not something you could stick a fork in, but something that just fell apart in your fingers. I was very disappointed.
We did have the guacamole with olive oil and the crackers with pumpkin seeds is outstanding!
My husband had the roasted suckling pork and he said it was good.
We ordered two margaritas on the rocks made with Herradura, which yielded maybe 5 good sips.
Not sure I will try it again.
I think the restaurant is good in all fairness.

There are newer reviews for Mateo's Cocina Latina

Reviewed 31 October 2013

My wife and I visited Mateo's in mid Sept . 2013 WE had reservations which were not needed. The service was average but friendly. My salmon dinner was ordinary and my wife's burger was far too large to begin to get in your mouth. Not a bad place , just not all that exceptional.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

I loved it. Super interesting menu and great service. I had lamb enchilada and my husband had a steak.. we both loved it. We had wine by the glass and it was divine. ( a new cabernet by a south or central american wine maker... can't recall the anme. They had just started carrying it.)
Outside seating was lovely, with heaters if needed.

I liked my tomato and fig salad. My husband was very disappointed in this perslane and peach salad.. but I would not have ordered perslane, since know it is a weed. The peach or nectarine was not well cooked, so he didn't like that either. So I should give 4.5 stars.

Price was really good for the area. so I'd recommend.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

If you are thinking about Acapulco's or one of the chain so-called Mexican restaurants Mateo's isn't for you. If you want an eating adventure, this is it! Mateo's is Yucacan cuisine with with a French influence and a very creative menu.

We were staying in Heldsburg doing some wine tasting and decided we wanted something different. We looked on line and saw the reviews for Mateo's and decided to go there and we were very glad we did. Had a greatl dining experience.

We started with the olive oil guacamole with home made pumpkin seed crackers.
My wife had the Pescado Frito Del Dia salmon and I had a pork burrito. The dishes came with veggies and rice or beans. The sauces and home made tortillas were very good. Most of the items were locally sourced and there is a listing on the back of the menu.

The margarita my wife ordered was so good she had to have a second one. I could taste that they used a quality tequila.

The night was warm so we sat in the outdoor patio. The ambiance and the service were great.

We had a wonderful meal, a wonderful time and will most certainly go again the next time we are in the area.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

The freshest Mexican food in a beautiful setting, with excellent service. I was there for a private party and it could not have been nicer

1  Thank Lisa B