“exquisite Yucatan cuisine”

Mateo's Cocina Latina
Reserve with OpenTable
Mateo's Cocina Latina is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #32 of 98 Restaurants in Healdsburg
Description: California, French, Latin
Healdsburg, California
“exquisite Yucatan cuisine”
Reviewed 24 December 2013

We have eaten at Mateo's restaurant multiple times. I feel that it is vastly under appreciated by many people. Those who are looking for a Mexican restaurant are upset by the less than budget pricing.Those looking for a " gourmet experience "may stay away because they don't associate this with Mexican food.In fact, this restaurant offers a high level of cuisine, using only the best locally sourced food with multiple small plates as well as larger entrees with flavors from the Yucatan region of Mexico. It is NOT a burrito truck! ( not that these don't also fill a need )I feel that the prices are quite reasonable for the level of cuisine offered.

Visited December 2013

Sonoma, California
“Great Lunch - Creative Menu”
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I had business in Healdsburg and dropped in here for a late (1:30) lunch on a Monday afternoon. At that time there were only 3 other tables occupied in the restaurant (mid-December - not a busy tourist season). The regular menu is extensive and creative but there were several interesting specials as well. Being on my own I was not able to try a lot of different items and settled on a special that was the Puerco Morcilla for $15 along with a draft Negro Modella for $5. The pork came with re-fried black beans and a spicy tomato sauce. Now for those not familiar with it, morcilla is a type of blood sausage, and it is possible that if they used the English term not as many guests would try it but they would be missing a great culinary opportunity. This was a delicious choice and the only thing left on my plate when I finished were the tips of the pardon peppers that accompanied the dish.

Since this was my first visit and I was not able to try more than one main dish, I can't speak for everything on the menu, but based on my experience I can highly recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for creative, flavor-full Mexican food. This is not a typical taquería and the prices are higher than the average Mexican restaurant. I would not recommend it for young children.

• Visited December 2013
Oregon
“Fabulous lunch”
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Had the good fortune of parking in front of Mateo's when we first drove into Healdsburg. Hadn't heard of it before, but decided to try it for lunch after checking out other restaurants nearby. Were we glad we did! I think the outdoor seating outback could be spruced up a bit with a little color (flowers?), But that is our only (barely) negative. This is top level Latin food. The kind of food where when you to take your first bite (the Panucho - oh my!!!) you realize you're going to eat as slowly as you possibly can and savor every bit of the complex flavors. They do local and sustainably grown food and the service was impeccable, but friendly. HIGHLY recommended!

• Visited November 2013
California
“Unique Mexican Food”
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We've been here several times and the food is good, but it is really heavy, so keep that in mind when ordering. Service can be good.

Visited November 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Sophisticated and approachable”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Well-appointed, comfortable but buzzy Cucina on the main drag. Great patio for the warmer months. Imaginative and extensive restaurant (don't miss the taconnes). Wish I drank more mixed drinks, as the cocktail list goes on for ever!

Visited November 2013