“Elegant Wines, Elegant Grounds and Great Staff”
Review of Arista Winery

Private Russian River Wine Tour from San Francisco
Ranked #30 of 159 things to do in Healdsburg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Arista Winery was founded by the McWilliams family in 2002 with a mission to create the most elegant expression of Russian River Valley Pinot Noir. We are committed to sustainable farming practices and sustainable business practices. We farm our 30 acres of estate owned vineyards and we work closely with local growers who share our dedication to sustainability in their vineyards. We do not attempt to manipulate our vineyard sites but instead strive to preserve each vineyard's natural qualities. In addition to our wines, we pride ourselves on having created a true destination experience for our visitors. A breathtaking setting of Japanese water gardens, mountain and vineyard vistas, combined with an inviting tasting room, offers guests a welcoming environment that encourages picnic lunches and leisurely days spent on the estate.
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I'll be short but sweet. We've been to Arista on several occasions and return there any chance we get. Their wines are quite elegant and sophisticated, not large and fruity but surely a great mouthful. Staff is always welcoming and helpful and their grounds are finely crafted and unique Japanese gardens with pathways and colorful flowers in spring and summer. Try their food and wine pairing experience and be sure to identify the wines you want to take/send home. They do age for a few years very well. This is a great wine and winery experience.

2  Thank Benson1520

Reviewed 13 October 2013

The wines, however, weren't very interesting. No character, very watered down tasting. Service was pleasant.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

Having trawled Tripadvisor for winery picnic venues I discovered that there as no shortage of them, but elected to try Arista as our first pitstop after arriving in Healdsburg - and what a great choice it was...

The good folks at Honor Mansion suggested I stop at Korbel Champagne Cellars on the way for a champagne tasting, and to pick up lunch from their deli - which we did. Korbel sucked (see separate review), but the food from their deli was really good. Off to Arista...

This is a very pretty winery, and was quiet when we arrived. Rather than do a tasting, we just bought a bottle of Zinfandel and sat outside in the charming and secluded Japanese-style garden. There were a few cyclists who arrived after we did, and when they spotted us sitting in our serene little beauty spot I could sense the envy - it was almost palpable! This was a wonderful way to experience the Sonoma countryside and enjoy an alfresco lunch in beautiful surroundings.

We had other superb experiences, including the Chalk Hill culinary tour, the wine & cheese pairing at Lancaster, and the private Rockpile tour with Mauritson - all of which I'd highly recommend, in addition to a do-it-youself outing to Arista.

2  Thank Johnlisa27
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We are sharing our love of the Healdsburg area with our daughter for er 21st birthday. The first winery we selected was Arista and the food pairing experience. The only way to sum it up is WOW. Upon arrival our daughter was greeted by them singing Happy Birthday. The staff was way beyond friendly and went completely out of their way to make this one of the best exeriences she had here. We toured the grounds, selected fresh eggs from the hen house for our meal, helped the chef select produce from his gardens then sat down to a famtastic dining/pairing experience.

During our dining the people coming after us cancelled and instead of seeing additional time off the staff told us that itmeant they would extend our experience. Our daughter felt she was the main attraction and that this was about as good as it gets. Thank you guys for making this a fantastic start to her adventure.

PS The wines were fantastic.

2  Thank Sawemoff
Reviewed 31 July 2013

We had the greatest day here. We pulled in unannounced and were welcomed open armed by the lovely manager, who proceeded to show us the grounds, the farm, the animals and give us a sense of the winery. He was warm, knowledgable and very affable. The staff at the farmhouse inn could take lessons from this fellow. I ended up buying wine and we left with the biggest smiles on our faces, being city people, getting up close to animals and farm vegetables was an experience we won't soon forget. I am so happy as this is what we were looking for from our inn, who wrote me the name of a website so I could look up local farms... Thanks for that. I'm so glad I happened on this place it saved our trip and produced great memories. And now I have a new wine that I will fight to get in the UK!

2  Thank hnya