“Food cooked with love”

Price range: US$8 - US$20
Cuisines: French, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Ralph's Martini House takes great care in the origins of our foods. All our dairy is organic. Our meats are grass fed. Poultry is local, hormone and antibiotic free. The menu follows the local garden and is organic whenever possible. We create elegant small plates, brillant cocktails and provide Healdsburg's only late-night dining option. Come out and play with us!
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Quick-cooked food has its place, but nothing beats a dish that has been slowly, lovingly created. That is the essence of comfort food. On our recent visit my husband and I ordered the duck confit and the osso bucco. These are not dishes you even see on most menus. They were both superb--the duck especially. I wish the place were not quite so cramped, brightly lit, and noisy, but I'd put up with all of that for another morsel of that duck.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

We have been to Healdsburg 5 times and have eaten here each time. It is really one of my favorites. It is quaint, charming, with excellent food and service. We have never been disappointed, and have always been pleased. On this occasion we enjoyed the orange and goat cheese salad, the lump crab starter, the duck confit (favorite) and a seafood special. I also love their Sonoma dominant wine list. I especially pay attention to the wines by the glass. I consider their wine list to be a compilation of "small and cool wineries whose wines you won't find back home that you should probably visit let alone try". A great example of this is Leo Steen Chenin Blanc. I would of never found this otherwise. Make sure to put Ralph's on your Sonoma Valley agenda! Don't forget the reservation.

Reviewed 1 November 2013

This was our final night of three in Healdsburg in late October. Thank goodness we saved the best for last. Bistro Ralph is an institution here, having been in business for over ten years. They are NOT on auto-pilot. This was the best by far of our meals here, and indeed, is right up there with the best of meals we've had anywhere. The service is warm, helpful, friendly, and never intrusive. The menu [ http://www.bistroralph.com/menu.html ], while not extensive, certainly had something for everyone, and perhaps its reasonable length contributes to the quality they pour into the dishes. Having had multiple meat/fish nights already on this trip, we were looking for something more vegetarian. We started with a Caesar salad for my wife, which I nibbled on. Whole spears of heart-of romaine that I swear had been pulled from a local garden that afternoon. I've never tasted lettuce that fresh. The dressing was superb. I opted for the heirloom tomato soup. Wow! Again, the local gardens must be working overtime, assisted by the chef's addition of herbs and spices. This was a memorable soup and perfect for a crisp Fall evening. For mains, we both opted for the fricassee of chanterelle mushrooms over house-made wide noodle pasta. This had such an earthy, rich flavor that you'd swear it was meat-based, but it was a masterful reduction of wine and fungus that was heavenly. We sopped up every last drop with the excellent sourdough bread. I had the classic creme brulee (noted on the menu as "the best") while my wife chose the chocolate marquise taillevent with hazelnut creme anglaise. Now, that latter is a mouthful to order, let alone pronounce, but it was the star. Not to cast aspersions on the creme brulee -- it was indeed delicious ("the best" is a little over-the-top), but that taillevent was to purr for. I'd also like to note that the wine list was reasonably priced by anyone's standards, with loads of local wineries to choose from. We killed a bottle of sauvignon blanc without busting the budget. At the end of the meal, we told our server that this was a "giggle meal." She was puzzled until we explained that was a meal where we kept looking at each other and giggling with delight throughout. I sure wish we lived in this area; we'd be regulars for sure.

1  Thank Houn
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Small, classy & popular. Really a nice classic bistro menu. Moules in the French style, rich entree of chicken livers, and a ample sized lamb burger that had wonderful flavors served with real shoestring potatoes. Might need a reservation even for lunch.

Reviewed 26 October 2013

Average in Sonoma is like very good elsewhere. We spent a week in Sonoma and ate at almost every highly rated food establishment in the area. Must say this was OK But not one we will go home remembering as great. Sat at the bar ...no TV. If it is a sports night...good service with very good local wine selection...been there for over 20 years