“Great beer, but the food needs work.”

Bear Republic Brewing Company
Reserve with OpenTable
Bear Republic Brewing Company is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 96 Restaurants in Healdsburg
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: Brew Pub, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Groups, Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: North Street
Transit: 28, 30, 30X, 43 and 91.
Description: Located in Sonoma County, you might wonder how a brewery in the heart of California"s wine country could make such distinctively flavorful beers. With awards too plentiful to list, the Bear's creations are too good to miss. Founded in 1995, the Norgrove family and Bear Republic Brewing Company strive to foster a sense of loyalty and tradition from eras gone by. From the humble beginnings of home brewing, to the demanding process of commercial brewing, came the realization that to produce the distinctive flavors and aroma we found appealing required the founding of our own Brewery and Brewpub. The Norgrove Family invites you to come by for good, healthy food and our award winning ales and lagers. Located on the corner of Healdsburg's historic downtown square, our family environment guarantees a good time for all!
Healdsburg, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great beer, but the food needs work.”
Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

I have been disappointed by the food quality at the Bear over the last years worth of visits (we live just outside healdsburg). The beer options are very good, if you enjoy beer, it is a place you must visit. But eat somewhere else until the kitchen, and the management of this place figures out the food situation. This place could be so much better, and I and other locals want it to be. The outdoor seating is an awesome spot to hang and toss back a Racer. Their feeble attempt at pub food needs a refresher. Or maybe a new food supplier, or serious cooks, or a new kitchen manager, a revamp of the menu, or all of the above. Did i mention the beer was great?

1 Thank BigBeardBrad

CA
“Good beer, terrible food”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Granted that it was very busy when we visited last week -- I didn't enjoy dining here. We were seated by a large group of drunk people, and the service was slow. My pear and goat cheese salad was awful -- no flavor, limp pear, wilted greens! A friend who had chili said it was awfully dry. How do you make dry chili?
This was about our third visit -- every time, the food is not that great (this time was the worst), though their beer is good. Expect a long wait!

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank NoviceCamper
Bakersfield, California
“Great hangout for food and fun”
Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

We went here with friends and had a fabulous time. The drinks are great and the fare is very good. We enjoyed pretzels and other appetizers with brews made on site. If you are a beer fan this is a must stop in this wine-fueled village!

Scotts Valley
“Excellent craft brewery and restaurant”
Reviewed 5 December 2013

When I saw they had Racer X (a double IPA, 8.3%ABV & 100+IBU's) on tap, I was happy. It is a smooth flavorful beer and definitely not too bitter. My wife had their regular !PA Racer5 (5.7% ABV & 75 IBU's). Ryan, who was working behind the bar, introduced me to their barrel-aged Cuvee de Bubba (6% ABV) which was a custom blend of their beers fermented in oak barrels. I loved it, my wife not-so-much. Ryan had some good dining suggestions. My wife remembered Ryan from a visit a couple of years ago as he made that visit memorable also. He is a real plus for the brewery and I hope we see him next time.

For lunch I had the Wild Game Chili $12 including the breadbowl--tasty and unique to the Bear Republic. Sue had the Rocket Burger $12 which included an Anaheim chile, pepper jack. cheese and cilantro aoli with onion, lettuce, tomato and fries. Though not a burger fanatic, she said the perfectly cooked burger was the best she'd ever eaten!

Portland, Oregon
“Solid choice”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Ate here our first night of our vacation. We started with the elephant garlic appetizer. Huge portion, and really tasty. I had the crab sandwich, which was pretty good, if a little bland. Quite a decent serving of crab, at least for me (after living in Denver). Husband had the duck burger, which he loved. I had both the hard apple and pear ciders. They were great -- just a little sweet (I'm not a fan of ciders like woodchuck -- too sweet. My husband had the Belgian ale, which he liked a lot (he normally doesn't like hoppy microbrews). Tab was about $60 for an app, two sandwiches, two large beers and two ciders. Beware, though -- if you sit in the bar area you must order food and drinks from the bartender (no servers in this area). We ended up moving from a table to the bar to get served.