“Get Healed in Healdsburg”
Review of Camellia Inn

Camellia Inn
Ranked #6 of 16 Healdsburg B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 16 September 2006

My girlfriend and I planned a trip down to San Francisco this past Labour Day weekend.....
And although it is a wonderful city with lots to do, the most exciting prospect of our journey was spending a few days unwinding in Wine Country.

Without question, everyone who talks California Wine Country mentions both Napa and Sonoma as the places "to be".
However, I would only recommend both as general areas to start - as both of the actual cities are lacking ambience and a true feeling of getting away.

For that reason, Healdsburg is a much better option.
Plenty of great wineries within minutes of the town square, and plenty of great restaurants.

Our highlight was definitely our charming and delightful B&B stay at the Camellia Inn.
As soon as we arrived, we were greeted with both a beautiful property and very pleasant owners. Not to mention a complimentary tasting pass - which was good at every winery we went to - and certainly saved us between $5-10 at each of our stops.

After a day of tastings in the hot California sun, we reveled in our ability to go for a quick and refreshing dip in the Inn's backyard pool. Lucky for us, this was also the time and place for the daily wine & cheese gathering for the guests.

We stayed in one of the smaller rooms - but certainly sufficient for our needs. Our one concern before staying at Camellia was the lack of an onsuite bathroom.
To be honest though, it was right across the hall from us, and perhaps larger than any other B&B bathroom we've ever experienced.

Finally, we were treated in the morning to a simple yet delicious breakfast (including great chocolate coffees and teas) to get us going on another full day of wine tasting.

I would certainly recommend not only Headlsburg as a great alternative to the larger towns in Sonoma as well as the Camellia Inn as a wonderful place to lodge yourself for a few days.

Please taste responsibly :)

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank pardy23

Reviewed 18 April 2006

We recently stayed at the Camelia Inn for 2 nights based on a combination of other reviews we had read, the price, and the location. Overrall we found the Inn to be a good value B&B in a good location. We stayed in the cheapest room, the Demitasse room (with a separate but private bathroom), and generally found the room and the inn to be very comfortable. In particular we enjoyed the warm welcome given to all the guests by Helen, the late afternoon wine & cheese receptions, the breakfasts, and the small but charming grounds of the inn. We certainly had no complaints although we did notice that some areas of the inn could do with just a little renovating/decorating.

• Stayed: March 2006
8  Thank Westby
Reviewed 4 October 2005

We had an absolut wonderful stay at the Camellia Inn. Early check-in to store our bags was no problem at all. Rooms are lovely decorated, all in the 'flowery' style and their swimming pool combined with their own wines and cheese at 6.00 pm is the perfect ending of a day visiting a lot of wineries. Breakfast was absolutely the best in the 4 weeks we have spent in the USA ! Mrs Leland is a charming hostess, asking questions and spending time during breakfast with all her guests. This B&B is definetely a big thumbs up!!

• Stayed: September 2005
6  Thank Denliv
Reviewed 24 August 2005

We were lucky enough to be in Northern California for business and took a couple days to go wine tasting. The Camellia Inn is centrally located to various wineries in the Russian River Valley. Which if have not been to the Russian River Valley for wine tasting it is just as beautiful as Sonoma and Napa but a lot less crowded and commerical. Our room was spacious and comfortable. There was some free wine tasting and cheese for all the guests from 5:30pm till 7:00pm. The 2 block walk to the center of Healdsburg for shopping and eating was great. After a wonderful day and evening there was a delicious full breakfast the next morning. The owners of the Inn were very friendly and helpful on how to plan your day. We will definitely stay here again.

6  Thank SBCATraveler
Reviewed 26 August 2004

We planned to stay three nights here but after just one we moved to the Honor Mansion. The B&B itself is nice -- clean, well appointed, with decent food. It is just that when I am paying $220 a night, I do expect to be treated well by the innkeepers. I wanted to go for a swim around 10 am, but there was an automatic vacuum going in the pool, making it unusable. I went inside and asked one of the staffers if it could be turned off and removed. She was polite, and told me that the owner was the only one who knew how to do it -- but he was at the barber and unreachable. She said it shouldn't take too long, so I waited by the pool. After 30 minutes, I went inside again, and this time asked the innkeeper's wife if she could remove the vacuum. I was perfectly polite, but she treated me as if I were an annoying in-law -- not a paying guest. She did not apologize for the inability to use the amenity, did not smile, was not gracious, and told me, in a rude tone, "Look, there's nothing I can do. All I can say is swim around it." This was impossible as the vacuum had a long cord that covered much of the pool. I felt like I had asked her to repaint my room fuschia just for my stay, or requested an extra bed for my pet elephant. It made me so uncomfortable that we checked out. This B&B is fine if you don't "inconvenience" the innkeepers. As a comparison, the Honor Mansion also had an automatic vacuum, but removed it five minutes after my request to use the pool.

7  Thank LAWheelsUp
Reviewed 9 August 2004

We stayed here in April of 2003 and I am embarrassed that I forgot to submit a review given the wonderful stay and service we received. We stayed in a queen room on the second level with a private entrance and a small private porch overlooking the pool. The property is lovely- many varieties of Camellias in full bloom, plus the other fragrant spring flowers perfuming the air of charming Healdsburg. The property is within walking distance of shops and restaurants. I also got a great workout by heading east from the property and running up the nearby mountain- a great route for runners. (Thank you folks at Wilson Winery for the suggestion. ) Ray, the proprieter here, is a wine wiz, makes award-winning varieties which he shares with guests in the afternoon. We spent way too much here! We had to have a few bottles- his were some of the best we tried in Sonoma. Also, they were helpful suggesting fun wineries, great restaurants and things to see. They knew our tastes and went out of their way to suggest the right places. Breakfast was delicious, served at a large banquet table with linens, china and silver. We met some nice folks and shared travel stories- one of the reasons my husband and I love B&Bs. This one is a jewel!

5  Thank LLindaC
Reviewed 11 May 2004

Camellia Inn is one of the very few infant-friendly B&Bs in Healdsburg, CA. Most other B&Bs limit occupancy to 2 people per room and do not welcome kids unless you rent a cottage. There is more to Camellia Inn of course. I liked its central location to the Plaza, about three blocks away, on a quiet residential street. It's got a swimming pool and parking in the back.Our room, #1 or Royalty, was fairly large and furnished with antiques with windows facing the front rose yard. We did not use A/C or heater but they were there.I enjoyed meeting other guests over complimentary wine and cheese in the evening. We did not make it to breakfast but I've heard that it's great.We received a nice discount for Sunday night reservation without even asking for it. Ray, the owner, and Trish, the night manager, have been super nice and very helpful with dinner reservations and other local tips. We were even showed the menu of the restaurants!The only reason why I did not give Carmelia Inn five stars is that I did not care much for the room decor, too English/French country/Victorian, but that's the trend in Healdsburg.The website does not do the place justice.

11  Thank Cossachka