“Most romantic hotel and the yummiest food ever”

Madrona Manor Wine Country Inn and Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 15 Healdsburg B&B and Inns
tiburon
“Most romantic hotel and the yummiest food ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2009

We LOVE,LOVE,LOVE this place. P-our favoirte room #503 is beautiful with a wood burning fireplace, a lovely deck and the best chocolate chop cookies ever. The restaurant is one of the best I have ever experienced. This restaurant far surpasses Cyrus, which is the Michelin two star establishment in this area. Madrona is better, less expensive and the service is much kinder. Don't miss this wonderful hotel and restaurant in the beautiful wine country of Sonoma county.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank chipper02

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Sausalito
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2009

As a speaker I’ve stayed in over 500 hotels and eaten at many lovely restaurants over the years yet last night was one of the most special experiences I’ve had. Madrona Manor is an exquisitely updated Tudor mansion (plus Carriage House, etc.) on a hill overlooking acres of extensive gardens and one of the wonderful view of a wine country valley. The sumptuous rooms had antique furniture, large windows, high ceilings, updated appointments and hearing and large, heavenly beds with frette sheets and towels. But it was the imaginative dinner menu and helpful staff that put this place over the top for us. Both the mansion and the dinner were a great value for the level of preparation and service – even by 4-start standards. Chef Mallgren is a genius. No wonder it won a Travel and leisure #1 in Napa/Sonoma spot (I discovered upon returning).
We may come backing the Fall for the crush. If you come, be sure to leave time in your exploring the wine country to just indulge yourself - enjoying your room, the home and walking about the grounds. The restaurant has a star and, as Michael Bauer wrote in the S.F. Chronicle it is a “bargain splurge.” I fervently agree.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KareAnderson
hecuba17
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2009

I received dinner and a night's stay at this Manor from a business associate. I was not sure what to expect but was immediately impressed when I called to make the reservation. The customer care representatives were charming and extremely accommodating, even upgrading our room to a suite at no extra charge.

My husband and I are young (27, 29) and didn't know what kind of activities would be available to us. I am happy that we went wine tasting (try Ridge wineries off Lytton Springs) before we checked in because upon entering the lush, elegant Victorian manor, my husband and I were spellbound; we never wanted to leave the grounds. It was almost painful leaving our room (with a balcony and views of the Tuscany-esque Valley) for dinner ( a five star affair minus the dress code).

The dinner was exquisate. I had three courses, my husband had four: Monkfish, Veal, Scallops, a chowder with white wine-reduction soaked clams, Shitaki mushrooms, and a prosciutto froth were all completely indescribable. At the end we had the home-made ice-cream, mixed and frozen at the table with liquid nitrogen. This was, and I am not embellishing, a life altering experience.

We highly recommend a weekend here. If you have millions, see about renting the cottage for a couple months and give us a call.

• Liked — Warm and unique
  • Disliked — Check out at 11:00 am
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank hecuba17
Washington DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2009

My wife and I had an extraordinary stay at the Manor. The staff could not have been more helpful. They were warm and fun. The manor is beautiful which includes the grounds the hotel itself, and of course our room. It was a treat to get away from a TV screen and enjoy the nature and each other. The breakfasts were also just great without being overkill nonsense. We can't wait to go back.
Herb Weingartner
Laurie Kaplan

Stayed December 2008
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2008

Lovely everytime we've been. Service and food have been excellent every time, and the decor is always seasonally 'on' - adding ambience that doesn't quit. We stayed in the school house west unit - very private and comfortable.

• Liked — Atmosphere
  • Disliked — No comment
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2008

We stayed at Madrona Manor for three nights, and it was perfect. We had booked the Cottage, but were upgraded to the Schoolhouse due to some potential gardening work near the Cottage. The Schoolhouse room was large and very comfortable, with a lovely deck for stargazing at night. Even in late October the grounds and garden were lovely. The owner stopped by our table at breakfast on two mornings, and remembered our names and even our hobbies. Speaking of breakfast, everything is very fresh, simple, and good. The staff was very accommodating with our questions at booking, changes to our reservations, etc. Can't wait to go back!

• Liked — The setting, grounds and ambiance
  • Disliked — No refrigerator in the room
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2008

From the moment we drove through the beautiful arched entry, Madrona Manor exceeded our expectations. The gardens and grounds appear to be meticulously maintained and lend to an absolutely gorgeous picturesque views from many locales of the properties. Our check-in was prompt. The staff was quite helpful and quickly offered assistance in the way of wine tours and dinner arrangements. ( of course MM supposedly has an amazing restaurant for dinner, however, the staff were quite complimentary of the reservations we had made at two different restaurants in town for both evenings of our stay...and even added that we should go early for their excellent cocktails, etc... loved that MM staff did not try to push us into having dinner there..even though their restaurant wasnt booked for the evening)

Our room in the carriage house was lovely. Room 504..upstairs with a day bed and balcony. The bed was so beautiful and comfortable that it made me feel like a princess! After peering into a few of the other rooms that people have checked out of, I do believe that I would choose to stay in a room in the Mansion itself, next time, as the one that I saw (101) was significantly more regal in decor than the 5 rooms that I saw in the carriage house.

The pool was heated and absolutely gorgeous. The concrete support wall behind had beautifully painted flowers in time period colors of aqua and lavender that added a very dreamy back to the 1800s feel.

I am a definite "foodie" and felt the breakfasts were delicious. Assortment of baked goods were obviously home-made and absolutely divine. They had a nice variety of popovers, croissants and various sliced breads. Buffet was beautifully presented and included high quality fresh fruit and soft cheeses, ham (certainly not the processed, formed with extra water!), interesting sausages (not sure what type...but probably a chicken or duck with herbs), pico de gallo made of flavorful and high quality tomatoes, and a hot dish each morning. (One morning was a crustless quiche with gruyere, potatoes and some spice to it, next morning was a tortilla scramble.

The only negative that we experienced was with the timing of the housekeeping services. After breakfast and a swim in the pool, we didn't leave the Manor for the wineries until around 12:30. Housekeeping knocked on the door, handed us cookies (delicous!) right at 12:00. Though we placed "maid" service request on the door, they never returned to make the bed or collect the wet robes from the pool. I would have much preferred a "turn-down" style service where they at least came in later in the afternoon or in the evening to tidy a bit. It would have been a much nicer "welcome back" from dinner...or even the afternoon, to have the bed made and cookies waiting.

I would highly recommend Madrona Manor. You will have a relaxing experience and feel you are taken back in time to a different period in beautiful surrounding. I look forward to returning!

Stayed September 2008
Also consider these accommodations in or near Healdsburg
Honor Mansion, A Wine Country Resort
Hotel Les Mars, Relais & Chateaux
Vintners Inn
Vintners Inn
#2 of 25 in Santa Rosa

Been to Madrona Manor Wine Country Inn and Restaurant? Share your experiences!