“My favorite place in L.A.”

Chef Melba's Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Chef Melba's Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 135 Restaurants in Hermosa Beach
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 15th street
Seattle
“My favorite place in L.A.”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

This bistro is a little gem in lovely Hermosa Beach. The menu changes weekly, and there were so many choices, that well, it was difficult to decide. The menu emphasizes seafood, but there were other choices like lamb and chicken. Also, I noticed some vegetarian appetizers and at least one vegie entrée. We started with the grilled sword squid appetizer, and you absolutely must try this. If you're used to breaded calamari rings, this will change your mind about squid. Rather than using the tentacles, they slice up the body of the squid. It's lightly grilled and marinated in a light ginger lime sauce and served over thinly sliced beets and cucumber. It tasted like ceviche. Absolutely divine! Next we shared two entrees; sea scallops served over a mushroom medley and sea bass served over lentils and vegies. The scallops were large and grilled to perfection. The sea bass was also good, but I wasn't a big fan of the spices used with the lentils. If I had to make a choice, the scallops would definitely win.....so so delicious. Did we have room for dessert? No, but that didn't stop us from sharing a chocolate box filled with passion fruit mousse, then topped with berries; perfect for two people....light and totally yummy. Service was friendly and attentive. This bistro has a lively vibrant vibe. It was totally packed on a Saturday night, so definitely make a reservation. It's a bit pricey, but worth it. I just wish I lived in L.A. as this would become my go to seafood place.

• Visited February 2014

Los Angeles, California
“Little Charmer”
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Other reviewers are right, what a great little spot. The restaurant is small without feeling crowded. Greeting and seating are friendly and low key. The menu is not large, but does reflect locally grown or procured whenever possible. We looked at the dessert menu first and based our entrée orders on that. Plate presentation is lovely, and you are not rushed. Petrale sole was fantastic and portions are good sized. Have dessert!!

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Apsaramaiden
Manhattan Beach, California
“Solid food, lovely service”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

This place is a lovely Hermosa Haunt. It's been there quite a while, which is a testament to it's success. The food is a delicious and unpretentious. Service is just like the food.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank fozzetti
Wayne, PA
“TA reviewers led me here...”
Reviewed 21 August 2013

and I was not disappointed. This is a small bistro in size but this makes up in ambiance, food, and service. White tablecloths and blue napkins set the scene. My husband had the Thresher Shark, our son had the rib special and I had the paella. First time I had paella prepared with basmati rice but it was good. There could have been more flavor with a fish broth and the addition of saffron. Their signature dark chocolate 'bag' filled with passion fruit mousse and fresh berries was the best dessert I have ever had--ANYWHERE!! Their wine selection was also excellent. The only downside was parking but I guess you have to realize where you are and just be persistent.

• Visited August 2013
“The reviews are telling the truth”
Reviewed 24 July 2013

We loved this little place. The hostess and our server were friendly and welcomed me by name when we arrived. All the food was delicious and Chef Melba checks on you personally. We started chatting with some regulars and learned more about the history of the restaurant. Then Melba joined the conversation too.

Visited June 2013