“not so sure”

Holiday Inn Express Hermosa Beach
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Hermosa Beach
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 30 July 2005

Stayed here for one night in June of this year, but only one night, the place had a strange smell, kinda like old shoes. the staff was not helpful in helping me secure a rental car and did not know the area very well. As far as hoteliers go, they all need some customer service training.

• Stayed: June 2005, travelled on business
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 21 July 2005

Don't let the name Holiday Inn Express fool you. I've stayed at some H.I.E's before and have been really disappointed, but not at this one. The location is great, about 1/4 mile in from the beach in a great area that feels miles and miles away from the hustle and bustle of LA.

The hotel has brand new bathrooms with new towels and the new Holiday Inn Express showerheads, that are better than most.

The breakfast was better than a basic continental breakfast.

Lastly, the staff is really laid back and friendly. It's not like a stuffy staff at a stuffy hotel who thinks they are better than their guest. I stayed there for a bunch of nights, and they remembered my name, and joked around with me, instead of giving me the fake "Hello Sir" routine.

So if you are looking for a good hotel at a good rate ($105/night is what I paid) near the beach in a real laid back area in South Bay LA, I definitely recommend the Holiday Inn Express Hermosa Beach.

• Stayed: May 2005, travelled on business
10  Thank BMcManusNY
Reviewed 9 July 2005

We have stayed at this hotel several times. Compared with others in the area we have found it to be very clean, with excellent service and better than average free continental breakfast.
We reserved a non smoking room but found a distinct odor of smoke when we entered. The room was clearly labeled non smoking. We were immediately moved without any problem. Our new room was near Pacific Coast Highway (which is the street the entrance is on), so it was a little noisy when the window was open. Rooms are very spacious, with a small refrigerator. Bathrooms have been renovated with interesting features. The TV has a multitude of cable channels. Beds are very comfortable.
True, the beach is a long walking distance, but for the price, we were more than satisfied.
We stayed in several cities and hotels on our vacation, and this Holiday Inn was clearly the best value.

• Stayed: June 2005
4  Thank Fairfieldtraveler79
Reviewed 30 April 2005

We stayed here in April 2005 for 7 nights. For a 4 yr. old hotel, it seems a little bit run-down, but could be due to being highly trafficked. The staff was very helpful and friendly. Good selection of foods for their continental breakfast. Plenty of parking in their lot. Good location for food and stores. The rooms were a good size, and had comfy beds. It's a bit tricky getting into the hotel driveway unless you come in from the north end of PCH, heading south. The pool is listed as being indoors, but I'd call it enclosed, since there is one wall that is wrought iron and open to the air, so it's not as warm as a fully-enclosed pool would be. The water was a good temperature, and there are open showers to rinse off after using the pool. For the area the prices weren't too bad, especially if you have AAA discount.

4  Thank PamelaBellingham_WA
Pittsburgh
Reviewed 27 April 2005

I only stayed for one night, but would have checked out the next day if my trip had been longer. The rooms are clean, but the entire hotel has an odd odor. My first room was on the Pacific Highway side and I had to switch rooms (the traffic noise is significant!) When I checked in and requested the quiet side of the hotel, I was told there were no more rooms. When I called down to the desk to ask again, they came up with a room for me. My second room was on the second of three floors and I could hear every footstep above me. It sounded like a heard of elephants walking above me. The building construction is very cheap, so if you are a light sleeper, I would not recomend this hotel. Only good qualities are cleanliness and proximity to the beach.

• Stayed: April 2005, travelled on business
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Bandon, Oregon
Reviewed 8 February 2005

Room was ready and clean upon arrival. Friendly staff at all times. Stayed on second floor and seemed to have an elephant walking in room above but all else was satisfactory and quiet. Would recommend this hotel to other visitors. Close to beach and other attractions. many restaurants nearby. Watch downtown parking meters. $35.00 FINE FOR OVERPARKING!!!

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 14 June 2004

We spent two nights here (June 4-6) and were very pleased. I am very picky about room cleanliness and this room certainly met my standards. The room was big, beds were comfortable enough (more so than the next hotel we stayed at in Anaheim) and the service was great. The staff was always very friendly. The free breakfast bar was wonderful; plenty of tables/chairs in the breakfast room and there were many options for breakfast; cereal, muffins, bagels, fresh fruit, coffee, milk, juice and in our opinion, best of all were the cinnamon rolls ~ delicious! The hotel says it's within walking distance of the beach, but it's a long walk, much easier to drive though you'll have to pay for parking. It's in the middle of Hermosa and Redondo Beach so there is plenty to see and do on a long weekend. We would stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed: June 2004
#2 of 19 in Redondo Beach
Beach House Hotel Hermosa Beach
Beach House Hotel Hermosa Beach
#1 of 7 in Hermosa Beach

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hermosa Beach? Share your experiences!