“One of the best times!”
Review of Surf City Hostel

Surf City Hostel
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Last summer I stayed two weeks at Surf city Hostel and it was one of the best time in my life. It´s so close to the beach and a lot of bars and pubs that changes into nightclubs at the later evening are right there. If you want to surf Manhattan Beach has good waves in summer and fall, it´s next to Hermosa Beach. For small waves Hermosa is good as well. Hermosa Beach is my favourite place in Los Angeles, the lifestyle, nightlife and people are the best. Especially the other travellers I´ve met there are so laid back and awesome, we had an awesome time and I found some new friends. Staff is nice as well and there are some people who really live in the hostel.The Hostel is over the bars so it´s not good for guys who want some rest, but it´s perfect for young people who want to have a good time. I´m coming back home soon!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 14 August 2014

I had the best time at this hostel, it was my favourite hostel experience I've ever had. The location is as good as it gets, basically on the beach and right beside good nightlife. Everybody who stayed here was always down to go to the beach or go out for dinner and drinks. There was a great family environment and I met some life long friends. The hostel is basic but has all the necessities. When all you do is sleep there(because you are busy at the beach and out with new friends) this place is great. There was free breakfast in the morning and two large fridges to store your own food. Mom(the wonderful French lady who runs the place) is amazing, she is always looking out for people and makes sure you are comfortable and are having fun. You can rent bikes for $15/day from the hostel and bike out to Santa Monica(~2hrs) or just ride around Hermosa. I will no doubt be back to hopefully reunite with old friends and meet new ones.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 2nd floor have a view of the ocean! Rooms on the 1st floor have WIFI
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I rented a private room with shared baths. THe bathrooms were clean. Everyone was nice. Only thing is it attracts a young party crowd. If you don't mind noise while you sleep you should be fine. I did not see ac in the room, but the night was pretty chilly so I did not need it. Linens were clean and fresh. You are steps to the beach.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 July 2014

If you want a cheap room right near the beach this is the place to stay. It is not the best hostel in the world however it is an absolute fantastic location at Hermosa Beach (which can make it a bit noisy at night if you are a light sleeper) and far cheaper than any other alternatives in this area so obviously you are not going to get the same quality as a more expensive hotel. The positives other than the location (to the beach, restaurants and bars) were free breakfast, free wifi (which I could get in our room), cheap bike hire (we rode all the way up to Santa Monica and back), clean shared bathrooms and friendly staff. The negatives were a really squeaky bed, noise from the street (which we were expecting due to the location) and only a tiny hang out area - not great for meeting other guests. I would stay here again!

Room Tip: I think the higher floors would have less noise (but may not get the wifi).
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I stop at the location being great everything else was below standard. Shower had a roach in it sink flooded then they had a go at us even though it wasn't either of us that did it. If you're into Latinos the bars down stairs have you covered. Wasn't our sorted place though. Found really good pub up the road straight up pier ave too left if looking for good DJ's and beer's. Standard greatly increased there.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

I went for my 25th birthday by myself. First hostel experience I've ever had and let me tell you, I had the time of my life. The staff was amazing...I'll forever remember Fab, they did a wonderful job making sure everyone was having a good time and was included. I'll always remember the people I met there. Such a solid group of people. And honestly can't beat the location. Right on the beach, great places to eat or drink. I had the best time and hopefully will be back soon. Thanks you guys for being awesome!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 April 2013

This is seriously the WORST hostel i've ever stayed in. The room smelled like a public bathroom, with old sheets and no closet, chair or table. The people working there were really unfriendly, except for the French lady owner. There was no decent place to sit down to meet other travellers, except a little room full of drunk kids and old dudes. By the way, there is two REALLY LOUD BARS on the first floor that makes it impossible to sleep before 02:00 AM. My advice; DON'T GO!!!

• Stayed: March 2013
Shade Hotel
Shade Hotel
#1 of 19 in Redondo Beach
The Portofino Hotel & Marina, A Noble House Hotel

Been to Surf City Hostel? Share your experiences!