“So disappointing and NOISY”

Beach House Hotel Hermosa Beach
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Hermosa Beach
Blenheim, New Zealand
“So disappointing and NOISY”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Was so looking forward to waking up to the sea, that would have been ok if i had managed to sleep.....
Had asked for a top floor sea view,when I arrived taxi just dumped me and my many bags outside. . No one came out to help (8pm) That should have been a red flag then , surly reception no welcome, ! just key and told no top rooms ( I had booked months ago)

People in room above walked the room all night , and People outside on boardwalk partied until 1 am! I couldn't win.
And as for the free breakfast , don't bother

I couldn't wait to check out and get to a decent hotel, what a waste of $400.....(USD)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Leeanne65
Marje B, General Manager at Beach House Hotel Hermosa Beach, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Leeanne -I am sorry you did not exnjoy your stay at the Beach House Hotel Hermosa Beach. We pride ourselves on good customer service and I am sorry we disappointed you. On Ocean Front Suites, our top category and most popular rooms, we guarantee a room type, but are unable to guarantee the top floor. We do our best to fill all requests, but sometimes are unable to put guests in their first choice of location in the hotel. If your upstairs neighbors bothered you, again our apologies. The Strand, directly in front of the hotel, can be busy from morning through into the night. This is why we have heavy paned-sliding doors, which delete the outside sounds. It is hard to enjoy the outside waves with the dog walkers, bikers and others always on The Strand and we are sorry if it made it difficult to sleep. Again, we work to meet and exceed all expectations of every guest and we hope you will give us a second chance. Thank you for your remarks and research every comment. We do hope you will return to the Beach House and please contact me directly if I can be of service to you.
Best regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 1 June 2014

My wife and I stayed here last August, 2013, and it was great from the start. We were trying to get a room with front beach exposure, and weren't able to book one with such short notice; about 6 days in advance of our trip. But, when we checked in, they told us they were giving us an upgrade to a beach front room. We walked in and were immediately thrilled. They gave us a room on the ground floor, beach front. We literally had our own balcony right on the walkway, which is is all that separates you from the sand and ocean. We had some chairs and a table to relax at when we were in the room. We also had a fold out, second bed, which accommodated a guest from LA we had visit for a night. It was fantastic. The room was fabulous as well, sporting a good size fridge, stereo system, two big TV's, a range burner for cooking, plates and silverware, and a great bathroom that was kept incredibly clean. The desk staff is very friendly and professional, and 24 hours. The hotel is stumbling distance from all of the food and nightlife, as well as the main shopping drag. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to be right on the beach in Hermosa Beach. You can walk down to Manhattan Beach on one side, and Redondo Beach on the other, it's very relaxing.

Room Tip: Direct beach front rooms are the way to go here, although most rooms afford a decent view of the oce...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I think it is one of the best places to stay if you can afford the high price. The problem is that when you pay what this place charges especially during the busy times, your expectations for what you get in return are elevated and that was the case with me and relative to what the rooms cost here, I believe that I had a mixed experience. I think it starts with the staff. I particularly think that they could be a little bit more friendly and accommodating. For example, I had requested that I be given a room on the first floor when I did the booking and when I arrived at the hotel, I was told that it was not available at first and then was told that it is available but it will be an extra charge. Really. After paying almost 400 per night, you want to charge more for staying on the first floor. After I agreed to pay a small premium for supposedly partial ocean view room, I entered the room to find out that it had zero ocean view. Looking at the grass and a little park area that is in front of the ocean should not qualify the room as a partial ocean view room but the front desk person was less then accommodating and less then friendly to make any changes. The rooms themselves are not bad but after a person pays what this places charges, I expect something more then a bottle of water in the room. Possibly even something as simple as a small chocolate or a cookie with a thank you note would be more then sufficient. Just something to feel the guests special who are paying twice as much as other places nearby of the benefit of staying on the beach. Some of the rooms at this location are located in the building number 2 or the building that is further from the beach and these rooms have terrible views or new views whatsoever so make sure that you take this account when making reservations. If you can score a room in the building where the reservation desk is located, that is more ideal. The valet guys at this hotel are a hit or miss also. Some are really nice like Teffery and some are not very friendly and made faces unless I gave them 5 dollars or so in tip when taking the car which I paid several different times. The breakfast can also improve as it is consistent of some cereal, cookies, fruit, and some juices. Again, I would be more then happy if the room were not so expensive. The gym is a joke. It is a small room with not much to offer but I was happy that they had something. The pool is small but I guess when you are staying on the beach, it might not be a big issue for some people. The location is it's strongest attribute. It is right near all of the action with actives on the beach and the clubs, bars, and discos near the hotel. Overall, as I said, if you can afford to pay a high price and want to stay on the beach at an awesome location, this is the right place for you. But if you care about other amenities and even remotely care about costs, I would look at other options.

Room Tip: Try to stay in the building closest to the beach and you should be in good shape with the view and s...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
San Antonio, TX
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Every year the Los Angeles beaches are crowded during the summer as it's perfect beach weather, especially in June through September. One of the less traveled areas is Hermosa Beach, a charming small town located between two bigger sisters, Redondo Beach and Manhattan Beach. When you want to stay awhile here, do try the Beach House Hotel which is located smack dab next to the beautiful wide beach of Hermosa. And also the view has a plus, the Hermosa Beach pier. The street leading up to the pier, Pier Ave. is blocked off for a block and you'll find a choice of cafes and restaurants that won't leave you wanting. The hotel rooms are close by but the evenings are quiet, except for the occasional skate boarder going by on the Strand walkway directly in front of the hotel. You'll have everything you want there: continental breakfast included, beach chairs, umbrellas and towels, and parking nearby. We enjoy this hotel every year and it never disappoints, no matter what month of the year we go.

Room Tip: Choose the second or third beach front rooms! Best views looking down on the Strand. The rooms in th...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TxRose75
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Just a 1 block walk to the strand and a balcony overlooking the ocean. Everyone very accommodating. The room is well appointed with very nice marble bathroom, comfortable bed and separate living area with a small refrigerator.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Newark, Ohio
Reviewed 26 May 2014

The Beach House at Hermosa is a great choice for staying at SoCal beaches. Well located and just steps off the beach. The staff is very friendly. Hermosa beach is a nice area with many volleyballers, surfers etc. The Beach House is one block from Pier Avenue which is the prime restaurant/bar street. My only complaint is the WiFi could use some upgrading. It would require many log-ons and it could be slow.

Room Tip: Beach front rooms allow you to sleep to ocean sounds.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed 23 May 2014

We wanted a quick and stylish 2 day getaway in Hermosa and the Beach House delivered! We loved watching people go by on the strand, walked to restaurants and bars to meet friends, enjoyed a comfortable beach experience! This was really a treat! The Beach House really made our vacation special!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
#3 of 9 in Manhattan Beach
Grandview Inn
Grandview Inn
#6 of 7 in Hermosa Beach

Been to Beach House Hotel Hermosa Beach? Share your experiences!