“Still Enjoy It!”

Imperial Palms Hotel & Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Holtville
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I stay here whenever I visit relatives. I like the fact that it is quiet, very dog friendly and isn't priced bad. I usually book a red-eye special, which is a late night check-in. They are slowly renovating rooms. This last time I did get an older room. The carpets were old, the wall paper was peeling in places and the bathroom could use a little love. However, there are times I have had a nicer room.

When I travel with my dog they always give me a ground floor room where he can walk out the sliding glass door to the grass. Sometimes other dogs are out as well and they can play for a bit. I usually do a walk around the golf course and sometimes the fields with him. If I had to rate on dog friendliness, I would say an easy 5 stars. That means more to me than having updated décor.

The Sunday brunch is delicious! (You can sit outside with your dog and eat.) It is a separate cost, but it is reasonably priced. It is served buffet style. The free breakfast is served in a Hospitality Suite. It is very, very basic. There is a TV in the breakfast room and they provide newspapers. I usually get my food and head outside to eat with my dog. They have little benches and picnic tables outside the rooms. The weather is great off season, and it is nice to sit outside in the evening.

Here's the thing. It is an older resort. It is in a small town where things aren't what you would expect in a city. I would say it is quaint, not grand. I've visited this area my whole life, so I know not too expect too much. However, I have never felt unsafe or ripped off when I stay here. The price matches the cost. We even slept on the ground floor with the sliding glass door open. (It has a screen.) The next time I visit overnight, I'll stay here again. The staff is friendly, it is away from any noise, and my dog loves it. That's good enough for me at the price they charge.

Room Tip: Book by calling and ask if they having any of the renovated rooms available. If you are traveling w...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Chelsea G

Reviewed 2 September 2013

I was scared after reading the Yelp reviews, but when I walked in the lobby and restaurant, I was pleasantly surprised. The bar staff was pleasant and attentive.

The front desk was having some problems with the load of guests and new reservation software, but they did what they could do.

The rooms were in desperate need of an overhaul, some in my party had no working showers. Made them into grumpy guests...our room was adequate for a hunting trip, but about on par that of a Motel 6 or Super 8.

TWO stars for the room...I will re-review after the next trip to see if they improved.
THREE stars for restaurant, bar and over all value

Room Tip: Next to office/convention center may be most convenient. West side would be way too hot!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank TahmiJoh
Reviewed 26 August 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at Barbara Worth because of a death in the family. This time of year is the hottest and when we checked in we noticed the a/c wasn't cooling very well. We brought it to the attention of the staff and they virtually bent over backwards to accommodate us. It has been a long time since we have that type of customer service and I don't think WE'VE had any better ever! The property has recently been taken over by New owners after being empty for approximately 5 years. Although the rooms are not extravagant they have done a lot of work in a short time. We will definitely be back to show are gratitude.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Greg H
Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

There is a dirty path worn in the carpet on the floor of our room. That should be the first clue. We checked into room and the air conditioner didn't work. The gal at the front desk claimed "it worked last night."

The staff here sucks. They aren't willing to help. The rooms are dirty. The a/c's in the rooms don't work. They don't even have a working ice machine or a snack machine. There pool is empty. There are bugs everywhere. The rooms look as nasty as the hallway does. My advice, don't even think of staying here. The place truly needs to be shut down.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Luta511
Reviewed 19 March 2013

BWR is located a couple of miles from I 8 between Yuma & San Diego in the heart of the Imperial Valley ,about 3 miles west of Holtville. Very pet friendly!! One of the owners runs a feral cat capture & neuter programme. The furnishings are a bit dated, but I like the retro look. What's imortant is that it's very,very clean, the rooms are old fashioned spacious, the beds are all new & comfy, even for my cranky back, & the staff are small town friendly & helpful. Unpretentious ,but interesting. There is a fine bar-Caddies ,very good bar food & great happy hour prices. There is also a dining room,Field's with wonderful prime rib. Rates are very reasonable, $59 & up, suites available. There are special long term rates. There is even a full kitchen for guests to use. It is quiet & peaceful(except at lively Caddies),no interstate noise here. The grounds are lovely, palm trees, a nice green golf course & interesting agricultural land, where, at the right time , you can see all the amazing farming activity. Imperial Valley is so interesting with agriculture, geothermal plants, solar arrays(biggest in the world ), & wind farms, all within a few miles . There is also the spooky Salton Sea, the Anza Borrego Desert CA State Park with it's wildflowers in spring. Holtville has a carrot festival every year , a genuine bit of Americana. There is a public hot spring on BLM land 7 miles east of Holtville where you can soak for free.The famous Blue Angels winter nearby & have a yearly air show. You can also visit Mexico from here.It's perfect for a winter visit,no snow here. You may meet interesting visitors from all over. And, oh yes, an 18 hole golf course.
Phone: 760.356.5800 www.barbaraworthcountryclub.com.

Room Tip: A room with the windows facing east viewing the golf course avoids the baking of the western sun.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 February 2013

My room was spacious and clean. The furnishings and tube television were strictly early 1980's. It was quiet and peaceful, but the property is surrounded by agricultural fields and it is far away from restaurants in town. Service was very friendly. At $90 for a weeknight this hotel is overpriced, and except for having a golf course and a (drained) swimming pool, this is is hardly a "resort" nor does it resemble a "country club" as the sign says.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank MarkoLA
Reviewed 25 January 2013

After reading the reviews on Trip Advisor my husband and I decided to spend three full days at the resort, golfing and relaxing. When we got there we requested an updated room. We were told by the receptionist there were only a few updated rooms; ours was ‘refreshed’. I can’t tell you how disappointed we were in our room. It was old and had an old smell. The furniture was new in the 1970’s or 80’s, the wall-paper was tired-looking and the carpet was horrible, stained and faded from many years of use. The room seemed pretty clean but it’s hard to make a room look spiffy when the sink and tub are pitted and the old-fashioned bedspread is faded out to almost no colour.

We were still hopeful though. We went golfing and on three separate days (at different times of day) there were long traffic jams on the course. A course marshal would have kept everyone moving at a good pace.

Meals? Sadly, the dining room is still not open during the week although even the hotel’s coupons says it’s open. We ate in the bar two nights and the noise from people drinking was so loud we could barely stand it. We asked if we could please just take our meal and sit in the quiet and empty dining room but we were told no, it was being prepared for a party a couple of days later. On our last night we drove into El Centro for dinner. We brought it back to the hotel and ate in our room - considering the bar again was not an option.

Many of the patrons in the bar seemed to be staff members who remained there after work. I really hesitate to mention this but, having worked in the business world, I don’t think it looks good to see staff imbibing with the hotel patrons. At 4 pm while we sat outside the clubhouse to enjoy a drink we had to listen to one staff member (who came to sit near us) drunkenly talk to his mother on the phone about her electrical problems. His loud voice went on for an hour. Two other staff members came to sit at a booth and smoke; the smoke wafted right over us. The staff also seem encouraged to bring their dogs to work. While we ate in the bar three dogs sniffed around. One begged at our table. Is that not a health code violation?

Breakfast was another matter. The breakfast room is at the far end of the complex away from the lobby. We were told to walk along the upper walkway from our room to the end and follow a dark passageway till we found the ’hospitality suite’. This is the honest truth, we had to jump over birdsh** to get past some of the upper level doorways. Obviously that part of the hotel hasn’t been ’refreshed’ yet. The breakfast room was just an empty hotel suite with some buns, cereal in dispensers and a fridge for milk, etc. Why the breakfast bar isn’t in the main hotel building next to the kitchen is beyond us.

We travel a lot and stay in a lot of hotels. We don’t expect a lot of hotel rooms other than they be clean and the décor and linens be of this century. Eating good food is a part of our travel experience and we were terribly disappointed to have to choose bar food over restaurant fare. We feel that more management is required to help make the traveling public feel more appreciated. This ‘resort’, and at this point I think that term makes new visitors assume too much, could certainly be really amazing someday.

Room Tip: Try to get one of the four already up-dated rooms, if possible.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Valerica45
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holtville
Holiday Inn Express El Centro
Rodeway Inn
#1 of 1 in Imperial
Best Western Plus Main Street Inn
Brawley Inn Hotel & Conference Center

Been to Imperial Palms Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!