“Shorebreak is Christmas in Heaven!!!”

Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Huntington Beach
Reviewed 23 December 2013

When we booked Shorebreak Hotel we didn't realize what an incredible spot to spend Christmas! The services and staff are amazing, the view and location cannot be topped with walking access to the beach, shopping, pier and main street. When we got to the room, which was totally amazing, they delivered a bottle of wine for my husband, complimentary wifi. Six Stars for service!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a soaking tub, and an ocean view. You will not find better on the coast
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Mike R, Guest Relations Manager at Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Hello Puttuck,

Thank you so much for the nice comments. Christmas Heaven is definitely a first and we’ll take it! Nothing beats enjoying the nice waterfront in our 75 degree all the time California weather. I hope you enjoyed the wine as well! Next thing to cross off your bucket list is a trip during the summer! July in Huntington Beach is something to be experienced. We just updated our wine list…..see ya soon!

Reviewed 20 December 2013

I work for a privately owned five star resort that is highly rated. Therefore, the level of services, amenities, and professionalism is what I look for when staying at a hotel. Co-workers of mine have recommended Shorebreak Hotel as it is run by Joie De Vivre. After doing some research with the Joie De Vivre brand, it appears many guests prefer chain. Therefore, I made a reservation and thought that I would give them a try. Upon check in, the valet attendant was very friendly and courteous. Front desk staff is professional, dressed to company standards, and is familar with all of the amenities on property as well as the "Joy of Life" (JOL) club. If you haven't already done so, I recommend that you join the JOL Club because of the added perks including complimentary wifi and amenity in the room. I called numerous times and spoke with a Guest Service Planner, Angel, who was polite and professional.

The two-bedroom courtyard suite was incredible! Very spacious room, and my guests and I were quite comfortable. However, I did notice that the room had carpet stains, broken electrical outlets, was dirty under the sofa pull out bed, and was not cleaned on the outside patio.

There was one situation where our neighbors next to us were being too loud and security had to come and get involved. I believe the older gentleman's name was Mike. However, he did not have any type of attire on that would represent that he was an employee of the hotel. Yet alone, he was accusing us of being too loud at 2am, when my entire party was asleep. He apologized and then went to the next room. I was a bit disappointed with that. Furthermore, the next morning the fire alarms went off, without any prior notification that it was just a drill. I was quite perturbed with that also! A letter was sent to the executive offices of Joie De Vivre regarding these unfortunate experiences.

We visited the restaurant Zimzala a couple times throughout our stay and it was incredible during happy hour! The waitresses were great, and the drinks were quite strong. Shorebreak is directly across from the pier and is in walking distance to everything nearby including shopping, bars, restaurants, and fun! The employees that do need to be recognized are Jasmine as the front desk who goes out of her way to make the guest happy, and Courtney who is one of the valet attendants. Personally, I would probably not stay here again as it doesn't meet a 'five star' standard in my mine. However, it is a prime location for visitors.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank travelfreak903

Hello Mr. Travelfreak903,

Thank you so much for your kind words. I feel terrible that your vacation was so challenging this go around. I would first and foremost like to apologize for your experience with our security staff. Guest privacy and security is one of our foremost priorities. We want every interaction with our staff from Front Desk to security to be as enjoyable as it can be. I also would like to apologize for the cleanliness in the rooms to meet your standards. I will be speaking with my housekeeping staff in regards to the list you had mentioned. Thank you for choosing Joie De Vivre for your stay. Our unique blend of boutique hotels is one to be experienced. I hope your stay at Shorebreak doesn’t sour your image of the JDV brand itself. Please allow me to make this up to you. Please reach out to me upon booking again and allow us to meet the 5 star standard.

Reviewed 16 December 2013

This is a dog friendly hotel!! I was shocked when I saw people with dogs at the lobby. I booked in a hurry, and did not notice that they allow dogs here. I was a bit worried...

Luckily, the room smelled clean, and free of dog hair. I was also worried about dog barking at night, but I did not hear any dogs at night, and slept well. We spent 3 nights here during Thanksgiving holiday.

The location can't be any sweeter. It is just across the street from the famed Huntington Beach. It is an easy stroll to the pier, and main street. The main street is packed full of shops and restaurants from cheap, to casual, to expensive. You could just park your car, and not needing it for days.

This hotel has a restaurant on site, and has a couple of coffee shops just across the street.

They have paid parking. The wifi is not free. But the price is very decent for the location and ambiance.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HappyTraveler852

Hello Happytraveler852

Thank you for your kind words about Shorebreak. I apologize for the confusion about our pet friendly mentality. We actually pride ourselves on being one of the most pet friendly hotels in Orange County. I’m glad that you enjoyed the property regardless. Our housekeeping staff is very conscious of the “pet friendly” hotel stigma, and diligently ensures that all the rooms are spotless. I’m so happy that you enjoyed Main Street as well. It’s a short walk and has a little something for everybody! Upon your next visit you can sign up for your Joy of Life club which has the perk of free Wi-Fi for hotel guests! Upon your next stay I’d love to tell you more about.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

Stayed Dec 8-12th for a conference that was down the road.

Parking: $27/night is kind of steep. Valet staff were professional and polite.
Zimbala restaurant: I only ate dinner here once, and just grabbed a burger and pint at the bar. Burger was cooked to order (medium!) and the crunchy onions in there were exactly that - crunchy (as were the fries). That was a small hint that even though the restaurant was pretty empty, the chefs weren't about to serve up food that was prepped hours ago.
Staff: I spoked with Jazzi/Jasmine and Marisa at the front desk, and they were great. The blonde woman managing the bar on the 8th was great to chat with, and reflective of the hotel itself - laid back, but professional at the same time.
Room: I was in 448. The room was great - modern everything, with a comfy bed, large desk, little seating area, nice terrace/patio and fantastic washroom. The only thing missing was a fridge in the room. The light switches were a little strange, in that there were a lot of lamps around, but no central switch. It just meant that you had to reach a little to turn off a light before bed. I heard absolutely no noise from the hallway, but once in awhile did hear voices from the street outside my room. Summertime in HB might get loud, so if you're a sensitive sleeper, maybe ask for a different room.
Cost: At $210 a night, I didn't think it was that steep. However, that stupid occupancy tax bumped things up to ~$235 a night, which is getting pricey for HB in the wintertime.

I didn't get to check out the complimentary wine tasting that goes on each night. I noticed dog treats around, but only saw one dog. I saw no trace of dogs (e.g., drool or other canine "waste products") so things were kept pretty tidy. I didn't check out the gym or anything else in the hotel - just my room and Zimbala.

I don't know if I'd personally return to HB, but if I did, I'd stay here. It's a great hotel, and in a great location (blocks to Main Str., a stone's throw to 25 Degrees). It also was a nice intro to Joie de Vivre hotels, which I will keep an eye out for in the future.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Hello Mr. RWGene

Thank you so much for your kind words about Shorebreak. I believe that 4 nights is the perfect amount of time to experience the hotel and to see what Huntington Beach is all about. I’m so happy you enjoyed your trip at Zimzala as well. Did you try your fries with our garlic aioli dip? Mind Blowing.

Thank you for taking the time out of your stay to have a chat with our staff as well. At Shorebreak, we try to provide that relaxed and professional atmosphere in everything that we do! I apologize for the noise that you experienced from the outside area. Our Surf City Nights street fair on Main Street can bring some extra buzz to the city. I’m looking forward to your next stay here at Shorebreak! See ya soon!

Reviewed 10 December 2013

I stayed here with a friend and cannot recommend this wonderful hotel enough! It is located a stone's throw from Huntington Beach - and the central part, not miles away at either end away from the shops and restaurants. It was so convenient for beach life and eating out, shopping etc..

We spent a few nights here, and I can find very little to complain about. The room was immaculately clean, a good size and value for money. We enjoyed a balcony with sea views - I'd thoroughly recommend this if you want to watch volleyball and surfers do their thang whilst you recover from night before eating room service breakfast! The bathrooms are lovely - I've attached a photo of the size of the bath - it was mega!!

The whole decor throughout the hotel is pretty open plan, with a large lobby raised one level up from the street and a nice restaurant with a sun balcony overlooking one of the shopping streets below.

We found the staff to be utterly delightful - without fail! They all seemed professional and happy to work there which made it relaxing when on holiday. There was a gorgeous blonde girl who worked in the Restaurant, I think her name was Kierstin who was great at recommending dishes, different vodkas and was incredibly helpful sharing her knowledge of the local area - she'll clearly go far.

Perhaps the only negative comment is that upon arrival we left our car with valet parking, which charged something like $40 a night, and we found a note in the room saying car parking was never free in the area unfortunately. However, two days in we spoke to some locals and after hearing their advice, got our car out of valet and simply parked on one of the many streets just two blocks back from the beach.. for free. I'd drop my stuff off and then park 300m away for free. Crime is clearly not a problem here with many $100k plus cars on the streets so it's pretty safe I reckon.

All in all, I would opt to stay here and be immersed in the Shorebreak to sample what you come here for - the beach culture, rather than one of the big five stars that are basically resorts where you could be anywhere (plus they're a mile or two away from the restaurants and volleyball nets!).

Room Tip: Go for a sea view - why come here and settle for anything less?! YOLO!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank HotelsforLife
Helen B, Front Office Manager at Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Dear HotelsforLife,

Thanks for all the great comments. Sounds like you had an awesome time while you were here. We are very lucky with our locations and everything that we have in walking distance from the hotel. I have to agree that our bathrooms are amazing, they are way larger then most hotels and if you got one of the soaking tubs they are even better.

Thanks for the props about Kierstin, I will be sure to let her know your thoughts on her service during your stay. Our restaurant has some delicious dishes that eating their once is never enough.

As for the parking, if you are lucky you can find parking on the residential streets. Right now during the off season you will be able to have a bit more luck finding parking. As the weather really starts to heat up it will become more difficult, that is why we recommend our Valet Parking at $27 a night.

We hope that next time you are in California you stay with us again and experience some more of our HB vibe.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

Great hotel. Just across the street from the beach in Huntington Beach. I have stayed for both business and pleasure and it is great for both. Right in the middle of all kinds of restaurants and shops. Dog friendly is a plus. I would recommend this hotel highly.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Helen B, Front Office Manager at Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Dear Larry T,

Thank you so much for your kind words. We couldn’t ask for a better location. You can get everything from a nice bite to eat, a new surfboard, or even a spa trip all within one street! We pride ourselves on being an extremely pet friendly hotel! Did you get a chance to try our dog menu at Zimzala? Looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

We loved our room, with a balcony almost facing the water. The room was well-appointed, except for the killer bed platform. I hit my shin a lot, until finally the wood scraped my shin, necessitating the use of an antibiotic cream and band-aid. When I complained at the desk, the clerk said, "That's why we put bumpers on the corners!". I told her there were no such bumpers in our room. (duh) Otherwise, the bathroom was cool-looking, a soaker tub and semi-open shower. Very nice. The lobby was pretty, and there was an outside seating area, too. Lots of surfing pictures scattered about, and jars of salt water taffy at the desk. It felt nice to see dogs staying at the hotel. The valets were prompt whenever we needed the car. Oh, and what a location - downtown (I guess it was downtown, not old and looking like a shopping district) and near the pier and beach and lots of restaurants.

Room Tip: Always get a room as high up as possible for the quiet and view. We stayed on the north side, facin...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank stillhall

Dear stillhall,

Thank you for sharing the information on your stay with us. I’ve passed your comments along to our housekeeping staff. Guest safety is our top priority and I will be looking into this issue with the front desk agent that you had previously spoke with. I’m very thankful that you didn’t let that spoil the rest of your stay. Please reach out to us when you’re in the area again. We’d love to further improve upon your stay and turn it from an “A” to an “A+”

Also consider these accommodations in or near Huntington Beach
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach
Best Western Surf City
Best Western Surf City
#6 of 21 in Huntington Beach
SpringHill Suites Huntington Beach Orange County
SpringHill Suites Huntington Bea...
#9 of 21 in Huntington Beach
Island Hotel Newport Beach
Island Hotel Newport Beach
#2 of 18 in Newport Beach

Been to Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel? Share your experiences!