“Perfect get away”

Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Huntington Beach
Pacifica, California
“Perfect get away”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

My husband, service dog, and myself stayed at the Shorebreak from May 28th 2014 to June 2nd 2014. We ended up arriving very late on May 28th and a young man (whom I believe was named Cody) helped get us checked in. He was very nice although very soft spoken. My husband and I had to lean in to hear him. My husband asked about parking and the young man mentioned that he parks on the residential streets daily and never has a problem. It seemed to work out perfect for us until on our last day we ended up with a $44 parking ticket. No where on the street did it say no parking so needless to say it made us a little upset.

The room was spacious, clean and well decorated. The bathroom was HUGE and I enjoyed soaking in the gigantic bath tub. With a tub like that it would have been nice to have some bubbles along with the other toiletry items. I enjoyed the double shower head shower. It did take me a little while to get used to a shower with no door due to the cold air that would circulate the shower. The only downside about the bathroom is that the fan ran 24/7 with no way to turn it off. I understand that it may be needed due to moisture from being a beach hotel but if you have trouble sleeping this might be a problem.

On that same note; because the hotel is in a shopping location Saturday evenings can be loud. We were exhausted from active days so it did not keep us awake.

The bed was very comfortable and the down comforter was perfect. We also had 6 fluffy pillows on the bed that made it great to cuddle in. I enjoy reading before bed every night and was excited to see two wall lamps on each side of the bed. I was disappointed to see that I practically had to stand to turn the light on and off. I would recommend a side lamp or a switch lower to the night stand.

Everyone on staff was very nice. Even when walking through the lobby, the hostess at the restaurant would say hello.

The room did come with a desk and ethernet cable which I thought would be great for doing some minor work. Until I realized it was $14 a day for internet. For the price we paid for the room I thought it was a little crazy to have to pay for wifi. If you don't want to provide wifi to everyone on the street, make it a secure login and provide the password to guests.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Mike R, Guest Relations Manager at Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Kristen B,

Thank you so much for this review. Its with constant feedback like this we are able to greatly improve our guest services in the future. I'd like to first extend my deepest apologizes over the miss communication about parking. The only parking we can guarantee is with our Valet team. There is street parking available as well however during our busy season we generally do not like to recommend it. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed other aspects of our property during your stay. If you need anything at all, and are planning on coming back to Huntington Beach soon, i'd love to hear from you! Please shoot me an E-mail at mransom@communehotels.com. Looking forward to hearing from you!

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We wanted a hotel that was was right in the thick of things while in Huntington Beach…and we got that at the ShoreBreak! Perfect location…walking distance to Main Street, the pier, facing the beach - quick walk across PCH and you are there!
The hotel is hip, friendly and customer oriented. Valet parking convenient (quick service in & out). Yes, there is a charge - but more reasonable then other hotels in the area!
ShoreBreak is small enough to feel intimate and relaxed…but has all of the amenities you need to have a great stay (excellent restaurant, bar, courtyard, room svc).
Tips: rent a bike and store it overnite at the hotel - much easier to get around! Bike the path by the beach….spend a day relaxing on the beach with the locals…the ShoreBreak will provide chairs & beach towels! Next time we are in town, we will stay at the ShoreBreak!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Mike R, Guest Relations Manager at Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Dear andiamo101,

Thank you so much for this awesome review! It sounded like you had an awesome trip! Looking forward to your next visit so we can expand upon your experiences! See ya soon!

Long Beach Island NJ
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We spent an extended weekend at Shorebreak and walked away very pleased. The location is this boutique's best selling point. Literally a half a block away from the beach and an amazing pier. The hotel is also surrounded by chill shopping and restaurants. Service was also very good. I would suggest opting for a partial beach view because the views are amazing. Valet parking is pricey. The lounge was also very respectable with good food and drinks overlooking the street below. Our room had two double beds and was very spacious. You could rent a bike for the day for only $20 which is cheaper than the local businesses. Check out is noon and for an extra 99 smackers they extend it to 6:00 pm . I own the fact that I'm a hotel snob and have to give this place a thumbs up!

If I was being picky....

The TV and its operating system for a lack of a better word seems a bit antiquated, but we weren't in the room a whole bunch...

Room Tip: Opt for a partial beach view
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Mike R, Guest Relations Manager at Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Dear HolidayLuvin,

Thank you so much for this awesome review! I'm super stoked that you got to experience all the different amenities that Shorebreak has to offer. I'd like to apologize that our Lodgenet interface isn't up to standards. We are in negotiations about an upgrade to our television services to better suit our guests. Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

Bangor, Maine
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My friend and I planned to stay at the Shorebreak for two nights, and we loved it so much we ended up staying a third night. The location is perfect- right next to all the stores, restaurants and most importantly the beach/pier. I recommend getting a room with a view of the ocean, that's what we had and it was absolutely gorgeous. The rooms were very clean and spacious. The staff were nice and helpful. Timmy at the front desk checked us in and upgraded us to a shorefront room- he was super nice and gave us a bunch of recommendations on places to eat/visit...definitely made our trip that much better! Bar was good- forgot the bartenders name but he was very social and polite to us. Great drinks. Fitness room was clean and had a good amount of machines to choose from. Loved the Shorebreak, hope to stay here again in the future!

Room Tip: Get a oceanfront room!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Lona S,

Thank you so much for this awesome review! I'll be sure to give this review to Timmy so he can read it too! From what it sounded like, it seems like you had the perfect Shorebreak experience! I'm looking forward to seeing you next time so we can recreate this awesome time!

Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Stayed here with my 2 kids while at a soccer tournament in nearby Anaheim - we had a great time. The room was a nice size (2 large queen beds, separated by a wall), restaurant was v good, staff were helpful and pleasant, the kids adored the smoores by the fire pit every night and the hotel is dog-friendly so we had fun meeting lots of new canine friends. It is one block from the beach and near all the restaurants in the town. We did have a yappy doggy neighbor one night but it wasn't a major nuisance. All in all a fun hotel that I would recommend.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear PMPhilly,

Thank you so much for this awesome review! We loved having your group in house for the soccer tournament over the past few weeks! I'd like to apologize about the noise issue that you experienced during your stay. It is hotel policy that pets are not to be left unattended in the rooms as it can cause noise issues like this. Please let me know if there is anything that i can do when we see you back again! Please shoot me an E-mail, i'd love to hear from you.

Lake Forest, California
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Stayed over Memorial Day weekend with my kids (girl, 9 & boy 7). Walking distance to EVERYTHING. Staff very friendly and genuinely happy to help. The 1st night got away from us so decided to order room service, expecting "typical" hotel room service. Not the case... Was so impressed with quality and taste decided to have dinner Saturday on property at "Zimzala" (Hotel restaurant/lounge). Had the mussels as appetizer (Must have) and Rack of Lamb, which was cooked to perfection!!! The barlounge is definitely up to speed with back bar and craft spirit program. "Well done"!
"Talented" Chef Roy introduced himself and was very personable. Restaurant Manager, Ian was attentive and interactive with the kids. Great Staff, Great Hotel!

AS

Room Tip: Stayed with 2 kids. Our Junior Suite worked out perfectly.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Mike R, Guest Relations Manager at Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Andrew S,

Thank you so much for this sick review about Zimzala! Chef Roy is like a mad scientist always coming up with new and edgy dishes! We recently updated our dinner menu with a revamped Scottish Salmon that is KILLER! I'll be sure to pass this awesome review on to our Food and Beverage team! Thank you so much! Looking forward to hearing from you soon

Friant, California
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Very clean and modern. Valet parking is $27 a day. Easy walk across PCH to get to beach and pier. On Tuesday they have a nice street fair and farmers market with live music. Lots of shopping and restaurants within walking distance. Restaurant onsite was very good. Enjoyed the cheese plate for a nice afternoon snack. Cost $15 with three cheeses, nuts, honey, grapes. Very good. No bathtub in our room. Walk in shower. Robe and little balcony. Coffee in room. Enjoy!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear LindaKayC,

Thank you so much for this awesome review about our property! I'll be sure to pass on your warm regards about our cheese plate to our head chef. Within the next few months we are revamping our in room amenities! Surf City Nights on Tuesdays are always a hit as well with our guests! Looking forward to hearing back from you real soon!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Huntington Beach
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 22 in Huntington Beach
#1 of 17 in Newport Beach
Island Hotel Newport Beach
Island Hotel Newport Beach
#2 of 17 in Newport Beach

Been to Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel? Share your experiences!