“Fantastic beachfront hotel steps from pier & best surfing!”

Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Huntington Beach
“Fantastic beachfront hotel steps from pier & best surfing!”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

This hotel is in the absolute BEST LOCATION, literally footsteps from Main St. shopping, bars and restaurants and across the street from a white sandy beach and a long pier with food, games and fishing. This hotel also hosts many pro surfers and surf enthusiast alike year round...especially in June/July for the US Open of Surfing! Many little surf shops, liquor stores & CVS pharmacy next to hotel. Rooms are clean with lots of window and light, balconies, comfy beds and the best bathrooms where you can take a long bath in an oversized soaking tub that fits two people, plus shower. BONUS: Hotel reception/main lobby host a happy hour with FREE WINE from 5-6pm M-F. There is also a fantastic restaurant inside the hotel that has friendly bartenders, daily happy hour specials, indoor/outdoor balcony seating and great food. I recommend the flatbread pizzas or jumbo prawns! You can't go wrong with this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean facing room if available.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Mike R, Guest Relations Manager at Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Rebeca L,

Thank you so much for this awesome review about our property! i'm super stoked that you enjoyed our complementary wine hour. We've recently altered our times for wine hour so now it is Monday - Thursday from 5-6. Also, you can't go wrong with the jumbo prawns! Looking forward to seeing you back soon!

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We stayed over 4th of July and all I can say is WOW. The rooms were beautiful, the beds comfy and the ammenities and service top notch. We stayed with 2 small children and the hotel was extremely accomodating. You can check out beach toys, chairs, towels, roasting sticks, etc. from the front desk. Free wine hour every evening. They even left a bucket full of Fourth of July goodies in the room for the kids.
We were steps away from all the restaurants and shopping and the beach was just across the street. Make sure to sign up for the rewards program so you can take advantage of the free internet.
Not sure why others were complaining about the valet service,even with the holiday weekend our car was always ready to go within 5 minutes. They offer a great texting feature so you can text in your valet number 15 minutes before you will be ready to go. Worked like a charm and we never once had to wait. We highly recommend this hotel. You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Mike R, Guest Relations Manager at Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear jess m,

Thank you so much for this awesome review about our property! I'm super stoked that you got the chance to stay with us over the 4th of July holiday! This year was awesome in terms of the amount of people and the electricity in the air. I'm also glad your kiddos liked our 4th of July buckets! They're a hit going on 5 years strong!

Looking forward to seeing you next year

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I stopped in at The Shorebreak for a weekend with friends. The property was actually much better that I had expected!

Located smack, bang in the centre of Huntington Beach where you are in a position to pretty much walk everywhere that you may want to go. Whether that be the beach, the pier, the shops, the bar, the restaurant or the market, everywhere was a hop, step and a jump away from the property.

Having said that, the property itself is delightful. Beachy feel, light and airy and located above street level. It reminded me very much of an Australian beach vibe, which, being Australian was welcomed and something I had missed having not been home for some time.

The rooms are bright and airy and, whilst smaller in size have been thoughtful in the use of soft furnishings to make the space usable. Large bathrooms and sliding glass doors allowing the beachside environment to be enjoyed, overlooking an internal courtyard, where firepits would be the rage in the cooler months.

Of special note was the restaurant. Being starved for inventive cuisine and a chef who is not afraid to use his imagination, I indulged in the food on two occasions and thoroughly enjoyed it both times. Without doubt the best food I had in Los Angeles over a seven day period.

One of my friends had some challenges with the internet services, which were not handled as well as they could be. I did not try to use the service so am not able to comment.

The points I will make about the property that should be understood are;

1. No pool. I found this surprising and I'm sure there is a good reason for it, but I had anticipated that facility being at the beach. If I was staying longer this probably would detract from the stay.
2. Dogs. I'm sorry, but when I pay a significant amount of money to stay in a hotel I should not have to share it with dogs. Nor the restaurant. I'm sure this is an attraction for some guests, but quite frankly I really don't feel that anyone should have to be subjected to other peoples pet fetishes. Also, despite the guarantees by hotels, there is not guarantee you are not sleeping in a bed that had a dog in it and they don't really know whether the room was left with fleas. That's the properties choice, but I reject it as a customer.
3. Valet staff were a little surly,

Otherwise I really enjoyed the hotel, the location and the staff. Very cheery and in keeping with overall branding and experience of the property.

Yes, I would stay there again as I feel that the location is very hard to beat and Huntington Beach has a great feel to it.

Room Tip: I had a rom looking in at the courtyard. I don't think there are any rooms with a direct view on...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Im_a_travlin_fool,

Thank you so much for this extensive view about our property! i would first like to apologize for your issues that you had during your stay. Unfortunately, our lack of pool is due to being directly above retail space. We do however have plenty of beach amenities available for check out. Our housekeeping staff takes great pride in servicing rooms that have previously had pets in them. I would like to assure you that we take the utmost pride in our property cleanliness.

I'd love to see you back real soon so you can experience some more good eats at Zimzala! Please shoot me an E-mail upon making your reservation and i'll take care of you!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Fun casual Hotel with good access to the beach. The hotel does not have a swimming pool. Rooms were very comfortable with a large bath. Staff members were friendly. We had outdoor lunch at their restaurant's patio. The meal served was surprisingly very good.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Mike R, Guest Relations Manager at Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Dear Louay,

Thank you so much for this awesome view about our property! I'm really stoked that you enjoy the hotel as well as Zimzala during your stay! I'd like to apologize for us not having a pool on property. Shorebreak is located directly above retail areas. Looking forward to seeing you again in the near future!

Phoenix, Arizona, United States
Reviewed 29 June 2014

First off, I was very pleasantly surprised when they let us check in an hour early. Next we ended up getting upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite at the government/military rate, NOT what I was expecting and was super excited (like a kid on their birthday opening presents excited) when the staff showed me our room. Needless to say it worked out very well with 2 adults and 2 kiddos. My 2 girls were so thrilled that they got their OWN BEDROOM! The staff was very polite, and the valets were helpful in helping me get stuff in and out of my car. Comfy beds, staff was very nice to my girls, we got a gift card for being eco-friendly, and we could even bring our furry family members next time if we wanted. We enjoyed our stay SO much we booked an extra night! Being right across from the beach and the pier was great. Thanks for a memorable stay, we will be sure to visit again!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

325 usd per night and no wireless. When telling front desk they sent an engineer who was clueless. Kept talking about a password when there was no signal at all. No follow up from reception neither about my complaint. Sorry for 325 that was terrible

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Arne R
Mike R, Guest Relations Manager at Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Arne R,

Thank you so much for this review. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the internet challenges you experienced while staying at Shorebreak. Recently we had upgraded our wireless services to improve on speed as well as connectivity. Also please accept my most sincere apologies when it comes to the lack of follow up. Please shoot me an E-mail upon your next stay and i'd be more than happy to assist you in booking your reservation. Please allow me to take care of you. Thank you.

Costa Mesa, California
Reviewed 26 June 2014

My groom, bridal party, and I stayed at the Shorebreak Hotel the night before and night of our wedding. Overall it is a very beautiful hotel in a prime location on PCH in Huntington Beach, and we are glad we chose this hotel.

During the night before our wedding, my ladies and I stayed in a separate room from my groom and his dudes. The staff was very friendly, even going so far to put us in a 'handicap accessible' room so us ladies would have more room to get ready in! Bonus points for being so accommodating. Not to mention there was a last minute change to our reservation and the very helpful fellow on the phone (Steve, maybe? Can't remember) honored the lower price I had originally booked my room for. Superb customer service! Only con about that was that the TV didn't work, but oh well we weren't watching TV anyway so didn't matter to us.

The night of our room we received what felt like the best room in the entire hotel! A corner room on the top floor with a HUGE patio, including breathtaking views of PCH and the Pier. Not to mention chocolate-dipped strawberries in the room, a bottle of champagne, and a handwritten note/drawing from one of the staff members congratulating us on our nuptials! These are the kind of personal touches that stick with you, and Shorebreak definitely went the extra mile to make sure our wedding night was unforgettable.

The only Con I have with our stay was the valet service. I know it's a prime location and parking is hard to come by, but for nearly $30/night you expect the service to be quick and friendly (which it was neither of those). My wedding rehearsal began at 6pm so I got out to the valet stand at 5pm to hopefully arrive at my venue by 5:30pm (at the Newland Barn, which is about a 7 minute drive away). I was finally just stepping into my car at 5:45pm, and arrived just in time for my own rehearsal! Not to mention the valet attendant was not sympathetic at all our my worried concerns, he honestly came off like he could care less. But you are pretty much forced to pay the valet fee if you're staying here (lest you're one of the lucky few to find free street parking in the nearby neighborhoods), it's just tough to not feel like you're being taken advantage of when the actual service is terrible. In the post-stay survey I mentioned the bad valet experience and was emailed by a staff member afterwards, but all they said was that they would bring it up with the manager. I feel like most places would have refunded the valet fee, but I guess that goes to show that many MANY people must complain about the valet. Oh well, it was a bummer but it didn't ruin my stay.

My (now) husband and I will be staying at the Shorebreak in the future (albeit parking elsewhere), and hopefully return with our furry friends as well!

PS an extra shoutout to the female bellhop who helped us with our bags upon departure, she was so nice and friendly and we really enjoyed chatting with her!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Steph A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huntington Beach
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach
#4 of 22 in Laguna Beach
Comfort Suites Huntington Beach
Comfort Suites Huntington Beach
#11 of 21 in Huntington Beach

Been to Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel? Share your experiences!