“Not easily impressed”

Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Huntington Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Our family (my wife, three of my daughters, one son-in-law and two grandchildren) stayed here June 13th 2014. For full disclosure I should say that I did not pay for the rooms. My son-in-law footed the bill for those and the parking. OK, he has a friend on the inside and got discounted rooms and paid nothing for the parking. I just want to be honest so you know I'm not a bitter customer or anything - I'm just giving my honest opinion.

The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. The restaurants that I ate at (Pete's grill?, and the Water...something) were both excellent sources of food, although a bit pricey. At the grill we ordered 2 hamburgers (and fries) 1 fish taco, 1 full greens (whatever that is) and 1 bottle of Evian water. The bill was $72.36 before tip. Seems like a lot for two burgers, a taco and a salad.

Breakfast was at the Water....something and we had buffet. Best breakfast buffet I've had, probably ever. We sat outside by the fish pool and were diligently cared for (coffee, OJ, take away plates) by Danielle. The food was fresh, hot (if it was supposed to be) and not the same old same old you'd find at a lower priced hotel.

Our room (3250) has a partial view of the ocean, the bridge and the fish pool. Nice, but not breathtaking. Not one to stare at the view, it was not a priority for me but was pleasant enough. The room itself, honestly - the marble accents are nice, the furniture is a little nicer than LaQuinta, or Best Western, but is it hundreds of dollars nicer? I think not. The beds were OK and the room size was not enormous, but it was sufficient.

Not being a spa, sauna, pool or beach person you can imagine my entertainment with the place diminished rather rapidly. My wife and girls enjoyed those things and raved about them. I wandered around the grounds until I had seen everything 2 or 3 times, and then I was ready to leave.

Most people will love this place. I thought it was OK, the staff is great. The mandatory valet parking is not an endearing feature to me. It may be to you. Final note: we forgot my wife's injection (in the fridge - never checked before I left the room). I called the next morning and they had it refrigerated and waiting for me to pick it up - which I did (after driving 85 miles and missing most of my grandson's 1st birthday - the reason we were in CA in the first place). So, yes, it's a nice place, but isn't that what you'd expect for the money you WILL spend when you stay here? :-)

Room Tip: Choose a room that fits your budget and only be there to sleep and poop.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
ehodges, Manager at Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Davetheartist,

Thank you for taking the time to share a detailed description of your experience at the Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort and Spa! The restaurant you referred to is the Watertable and we appreciate your assessment of the quality food and beverage experience provided there, along with Pete's as well. As you had suggested, associates such as Danielle and others are what make the resort a wonderful experience. We have beautiful surrounding and the amenities are extensive, but it is truly the people that make for a wonderful experience with attention to detail and caring. We thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and were sorry to hear you missed a portion of your grandsons 1st birthday. Perhaps you can bring him to the resort next year for his birthday again and take him down the waterslides!

Eron Hodges

Write a ReviewReviews (3,718)

Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed here with a family of four for a perfect birthday weekend! The staff do everything they can for you (Daly and Matt, thank you!). The facility itself is flawless. The kids had a great time in the waterslides. The pool is huge and has a cafe / bar next to it. The spa exceeds expectations with a jacuzzi, steam room, and outdoor relaxation area. And there is a bridge to the beach right across the street, where hotel staff will hand you beach chairs, umbrellas and towels! With shopping and restaurants on the grounds, you don't need to leave the hotel. Yes there is a resort fee, but it is worth it, and when you are here you will understand why. We will be back!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent experience at our resort. We are thrilled to hear you had such an amazing stay and we will be sure to share your positive feedback with our staff.
At Hyatt we pride ourselves on providing authentic hospitality and superior service and we thank you for choosing Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach for your trip to Surf City USA. We sincerely hope that you are able to visit us again soon.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

I would like to say that the staff here is super friendly and go out of there way to help you at every corner, Tommy at the Concierge Desk is a keeper and goes way up and above to help his guests. This place is large and is build like a maze as it is almost one city block long I found the rooms to be nice with extra touches here and there added but unless you love being right on top of the beach, there are other less expensive alternatives to this place. Now before anyone thinks this is knock on this hotel, let me say this place is very nice and has a ton to offer its guests. The property is kind of isolated and it is a few blocks walk to anything including the beach (depending on were your room is) but to make up for that this place is kind like a mini city as they have a smaller market with several restaurants right on property. The hotel itself offers little amenities like beach towels at the end of the bridge that connects the hotel with the beach, fruit infused water and cookies in the reception area, and a very accommodating staff to your every need. This property does charge a Resort fee ($25) to cover those so called free services but it does include internet for 5 users per room. The fees don't stop there as there is also a valet only parking policy at this location and that cost $34 a night, so be prepared to spend a few dollars if you stay here. They offer other services at well like bike rentals (fee), surfing lessons (fee), and a shuttle to Disneyland. This would be the kind of place that you would love to have a reception or large party at as it could easily support that. This is after all a California Beach Hotel so what is not to love, but be warned this is very popular with families with children so it does get noisy at times.

Room Tip: The rooms closer to the lobby tend to get nosier on the weekend due to the restaurants on property a...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear heumanntouch,

Thank you for the excellent feedback you recently provided regarding your experience at the resort. Indeed there are fees, but there are a plethora of complimentary activities and services offered at the Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach too. Rgardless, we are most proud of the level of service provided by our team of associates, so thank you for recognizing them and the quality experience you encountered with us. We hope you will consider us again at some point in the future!

Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

Pro's
The hotel is lovely! Very clean and modern, short walk from Huntington Beach shops and restaurants!
Pool was relatively quiet and poolside service was good, the food is lovely and reasonably priced
Con's
Resort fee tax $25 + $3 a day
Valet parking at $34 a night
Leads to a target large bill on checkout!
The hotel tried to put us in a 'parlour' room which apparently is large, but has a pull down bed, we explained my husband has a back problem and I didn't think a pull down bed would help this matter! They did agree eventually to a double room with a view of the ocean which was spacious and modern!

Overall would recommend!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear claireb1981,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at the Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach! We were delighted you felt the overall experience at the resort was a good one and that you would recommend us to others. With respect to additional fees, there are a host of amenities and benefits included in those services for guests to take advantage of inclusive of shuttle service to and from Disneyland. Regardless, we value your feedback and hope you will give us another opportunity into the future. Thank very much again for your recommendation.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Hello,

I was hoping to get a hold of the rooms manager at the Hyatt Regency Huntington beach.  I have been trying to get a hold of someone for over a week about room occupancy limits but have had no luck.

It has always been a dream to stay at this beautiful hotel and was trying to book it for my upcoming birthday trip next month but have three little girls and I'm being told there are no options for three kids in a room.  Rollaways are not allowed in a queen room. I was very surprised by this especially with your high ranks for being so family friendly.

I wanted to confirm that there are indeed no options when traveling with three kids before I move on to another resort as you were definitly my first choice!

Thanks so much!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Here at the moment for my sons wedding. Important for the ladies to have time to prepare. Room not cleaned until after 3.30pm, despite two polite requests . Turn down service arrived at 6pm when we were getting ready to go out. If the same thing happens tomorrow for a wedding at five, the mother of the groom may not be at the wedding. Pretty poor response ( housekeeping not answering the phone) from the Hyatt. I will let you know how the wedding goes tomorrow!

• Stayed: June 2014

Dear Ranger5500,

Thank you for taking time to share feedback regarding your recent stay. It was disappointing to learn that the housekeeping service was provided at a time that was inconvenient to you, despite your attempts to schedule it at another time. We sincerely apologize and expect the wedding was amazing despite our shortcomings! Congratulations and please know your feedback will help us improve the level of service provided in the future.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Had a great stay with the family here. Even though they were shooting a pilot TV show in March, we still enjoyed our stay. Close to beach and walkable to the Pier where there were more restaurants, etc. Teenage boys had a great time. Beautiful hotel even with the Traffic between it and the beach.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Oceanfront room Noise was not a problem for us
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Hyatt Regency Newport Beach
Hyatt Regency Newport Beach
#7 of 18 in Newport Beach
SpringHill Suites Huntington Beach Orange County
SpringHill Suites Huntington Bea...
#9 of 21 in Huntington Beach
Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa
The Inn At Laguna Beach
The Inn At Laguna Beach
#6 of 23 in Laguna Beach
The Resort at Pelican Hill
The Resort at Pelican Hill
#5 of 18 in Newport Beach

Been to Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!