Overall this is a good hotel if what you are looking for is a beach stay. We are from New England where the hotels are right on the ocean so this was a little different [more on that later]. This hotel is right on the Pacific Coast Highway which will give you the area that you want for a great beach stay. The hotel is quite large with 2 pools and large grounds. My first comment is that if you are looking for ocean front, then just know that the highway, beach parking lot and a 1/4 mile of beach separate you from the ocean. That is important if you don't like noise as you could pick a room overlooking the main pool back in the courtyard that would give you the exact same view without the street noise. Would have been helpful if someone mentioned that to us when booking.
As far as the hotel itself, the grounds are beautiful, but big. Make sure to stay close to the main building if anyone has mobility issues. The room we had was quite large with a sitting area and balcony. The bathroom was large too. We did have some issues with hot water being virtually non-existent in the sinks and the room not being made up a couple of times. Our initial attempt to call about the room not having been cleaned was met with a comment from the front desk, "are you sure"? Clearly the staff needs some training. They said that they would send housekeeping right up and 45 minutes later still nothing. While this was unpleasant, the manager, Daniel Gonzalez, was phenomenal. Even though it was our last night he made sure to listen to the issues and made us leave feeling good about the hotel. We are very seasoned travelers and Hyatt is lucky to have him there as we wouldn't have considered returning without his intervention.
As far as the "beach" itself goes, don't be misled by the term oceanfront as it is a hike through the hotel, across a bridge, through the parking lot and across the beach. While the hotel charges a $35 resort fee per day which does get you chairs, umbrella and towels, these are located at the end of the bridge and you are carrying them yourself to the ocean and setting them up. There was an area down at the beach where a couple of kids from the hotel where doing this for you, but there was an additional $20 up charge. While money is not an issue for us this is just overkill on the hotel's part and left an unpleasant taste in our mouth about the beach experience. Not what you you want your thoughts to be of vacation. Speaking of overkill, you should know that they hit you up for $35 per night for parking and there is nowhere else to go.
The hotel is about a mile from downtown Huntington Beach where there are surf shops and restaurants. We do a lot of walking so no big deal, but if you are looking for food alternatives then just know you are taking about a 2 mile round trip walk or driving. The hotel offers great food and less formal alternative like a pizza/sub shop which is nice so that you don't have to leave the property if you don't want to, but again, that isn't close to the beach. There are 2 beach snack bars fairly close and they were decent. We ate breakfast at the hotel every day and had dinner at Watertable, which was amazing. Ask for Sami as a waiter because he was one of the best that we ever have ever had anywhere.
Overall the property is good, the food is good and the manager was Great!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in a community also known as "Surf City, USA", the resort offers easy access via a pedestrian walkway to eight miles of wide beaches where waves crash and surfers reign. The magnificent Andalusian architecture, reminiscent of Spain's southern coast, and lush landscaping combine to create a sense of casual elegance and your own private seaside retreat. All rooms have private terraces, and most feature stunning views of the Pacific. Five different dining restaurants,a grocery store, a full service spa and salon and two pools and several hot tubs on the property. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Expedia, Hyatt Hotels Corporation, Odigeo, Ebookers, Travel Republic (UK), Priceline, Agoda, 5viajes2012 S.L., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Hotel Huntington Beach
- Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort And Spa