“Avoid this property” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #20 of 22 Hotels in Huntington Beach
Phoenix, Arizona
“Avoid this property”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2012

Due to last minute family issue we went to Seal Beach. No other properties available in the area due to the time of the year. Sounded decent with jet tub. Reality far different. Carpet filthy (our feet were black). The shower was broken, water filled the tub while the shower was on. Caulk attempted to cover black mold. The pull out couch was torn up and the mattress on the bed was a poor excuse. My son slept directly on springs. I cushioned him using the cover. Luckily he was exhausted. At approx 11 pm the people above us returned to their room. We could hear them walk, urinate (you get the picture). Shortly thereafter, the guys in the room next to us came in. Extremely noisy. I had hoped by midnight or even 1 am they would quiet down. No way. I phoned the front desk and complained x2 during the night. Pounded on the wall a few times. Management stated they would speak with them. By 4 or so the police were contacted. Finally went to sleep about 4:30 am. When we left the guys were leaving. There was 6 of them in the room! If management had spoken with them, wouldn't they have noted the 6 people in one room! Now management is offering us another nights stay instead of a refund. Avoid!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank suzansmile

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012

This place is a mixed bag of very poor experiences, and very good services. On the good side, the management has kept up with several positive amenities such as a microwave, a refrigerator, direct tv, and wireless internet. The location is very easy to deal with, across the PCH from the beaches once you walk past the private housing. The folks running the place are very nice and responsive to requests. That's the positive.
The carpeting is an head-shaking, extraordinary negative. Since it's a hotel across from a beach attraction, you would expect some degree of degradation, but the carpet in the hallways needs to be replaced. Inside the room, the carpet was alarmingly filthy ... my children took a shower in the bathroom, walked three steps to the bed, and their feet were black with dirt. For that alone, one would not come back to the property. We used the fold-out couch, whose cover was ripped, and the mattress did not protect the guest from the springs. The condition of this fold-out basically required significant uplift.
The noise level in the rooms was unacceptable. Unfortunately, we could hear the party next door vividly and could also hear the guys walking upstairs. My wife and kids could not sleep in the place, and complained to the management 2x ... at 0100 and 0230 ... when management called the police. Don't take younger kids to this place at all ... it's really an adult beach house where you should expect partiers to allow a minimum of sleep.
Were we just unlucky that ONE night? Management can't allow 5 guys to inhabit one room and party all night to disturb the other guests. Adults can usually deal with this nonsense, but this hotel is not suitable for younger children.
There is no elevator here to help you move your bags up to the second or third floors. The stairwell is very narrow, so dealing with your larger bags can be awkward.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank nygnyr

Travellers are raving about these Huntington Beach hotels

Wabash, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2012 via mobile

This hotel is not in Huntinton Beach. It is in Seal Beach. Not very nice. It says there is air conditioning but there isn't !!!!! It is a fan at best that blows around the hot air in the room. It is a drive to get to anything to do. The beach area is yucky. It smells like dead fish. You have to walk a distance and cross Pacific Coast Highway to get to the beach. My family was on a two week vacation in California and started in Huntington Beach( or what we thought was Huntington Beach). This is the only part of our vacation that we regretted. It isn't worth saving a few dollars to stay here. Spend the money and stay in Huntington Beach!!!!!

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Janekendall1
Carmel, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2012

Worst place since my student days traveling in the Yucatan: dirty and torn carpets in the halls, same in the room, holes in the bedspread, broken mirror in the bathroom. Would not go back if offered free. Only plus was an excellent wifi connection.

Room Tip: Stay away.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Paul B
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2012

I read the reviews before hand and thought that the hotel was much closer to the beach than it was for the price...but the owners were lovely and the housekeeper was sweet and helpful and the room was neat and clean.

It's not on the beach, let's make that clear, but if you have a car then it's quite close-close enough that I took my son to go for his first time surfing. For a short stay, this hotel was perfect.

Room Tip: If you want a view then get a top level floor-however, you'll have to schlep your suitcases up n...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Krisathome
Phoenix
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012

One thing puzzles me. A reviewer mentioned $50.00 per night. I knew of nothing less than $99.00 per night, so I'm wondering what this $50.00 room was!
Aside from that - frankly, I think they have a lot of nerve charging $169.00 per night for the room we stayed in. I could have stayed in one of the Hiltons (locally, where it is off season) for even less than that.
1. When we checked in, the first thing I did was kick off my shoes. The second thing I did was notice that I was stepping on WET SPOTS on the carpet! BIG wet spots! My feet got wet just walking in the room!!
2. There was some kind of construction going on, involving a jack hammer - apparently INDOORS, and judging by the loudness, right over our heads! It went on for three hours!!
3. We had just come from the beach, eager to shower. NO WATER!! Went to the office to ask about this, and were told, 'Yeah, I came over to tell you, but your door was closed.' WTF???? Never heard of KNOCKING??? So we waited FOUR HOURS for water, meanwhile listening to the sound of a jack hammer!!!
4. No phone in the room!?!? I was under the impression that a phone in a hotel room is sort of.... a given?? And for $169.00 per night??? No no no no no.....
Okay, the following remarks aren't exactly negatives OR positives, just facts. I had been told the place was just 'remodeled' but if it was, they did it as cheaply as possible. The paint job could have been done better by a ten year old. The door hung on the hinges crooked, leaving gaps above and below the door large enough for mice to enter. The floor fan in the closet was not in working order. NO good TV channels.
POSITIVES: we found the employees to be friendly and helpful. Generous with towels and bedding when we asked for extra. Nice COLD mini fridge and freezer! Bottom line, though - i wish i had done more research and maybe we would have stayed in one of the newer, nice places. We chose this one because we had stayed in it in the 70s when it was much nicer.

Room Tip: We had a first floor 'suite' so there was plenty of room for the roll-away bed we asked for...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank SuzyinPhoenix S
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

We stayed here based on the TripAdvisor reviews. We weren't expecting much due to the $50 per night price. Check in took about 30 minutes because the guy couldn't find our reservation. He took my credit card and ID to the back room while talking on the phone to someone in a different language. This didn't make me feel very good about the security of guests' information. The blue carpet is dirty and in need of replacing. The bed was lumpy and the shower had black spots all over. In the door frame to the bathroom, someone had carved explicit words. We would have moved hotels, but they have strict no refund rules. My wife and I tried to stay out as long as possible so we only had to sleep in the room. I guess that is what we get for $50.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank seangj
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huntington Beach
Travelodge Ocean Front
Travelodge Ocean Front
#9 of 22 in Huntington Beach
BEST WESTERN Harbour Inn & Suites
BEST WESTERN Harbour Inn & Suite...
#7 of 22 in Huntington Beach
The Pacific Inn
The Pacific Inn
#2 of 3 in Seal Beach
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 22 in Huntington Beach
The Queen Mary
The Queen Mary
#10 of 56 in Long Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 5,706 reviews

Been to Pacific View Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!