“Poor Customer Service” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Huntington Beach
Rock Hall, Maryland
“Poor Customer Service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

I knew that this hotel was under construction, so expected some inconvenience and noise, but booked it for 5 nights because of price and location. The renovated room was clean and comfortable, although there were no reading lights by the bed and passage space between the foot of the bed and the wall was narrow. It did have a small refrigerator and microwave. The breakfast was fine - a different hot selection each day plus cereals, waffles, pastries, yogurt, fresh fruit.

Unfortunately in our room the heater made grinding noises which woke us at night and the top "lock" with the long double bar and ball (don't know what that's called) was hanging off the door. We asked two days in a row for those to be repaired. While the person at the desk seemed responsive, nothing was ever done, and we gave up. We had other family in a second room. They were unhappy because the room was not made up until 3 or 4 pm each day.

We had an early flight and wanted to check out at 5:30 am. The lobby was locked. A sign on the door said services were available 24/7 and to please knock, but that brought no results. We called the hotel number and were told to just leave- that everything was OK, and we should just throw out the card keys.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room that has been renovated. I think the old ones must be a mess.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank travelerRH
CSHB12, Manager at Comfort Suites Huntington Beach, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Dear,
While we are disappointed to hear of such a negative experience, we appreciate your candor and honesty in letting us know exactly what you experienced. It is only through our guests that we learn how we can improve.

I want you to know that we pride ourselves on providing an enjoyable stay experience and therefore find the experience you had to be unacceptable. I will personally investigate the situation to make sure that issues you experienced are addressed so that they do not continue for future guests.

We do hope you will allow us another opportunity to demonstrate just how enjoyable your stay can be at our facility and I promise we will do everything we can to bring back the confidence that you have in the Comfort Suites brand. Thank you again for taking the time to share your stay experience with us.

Sachin Amin.
General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

stay away from this dive of a hotel. I was rented a room that was still under construction. painters tape still covering door jams the jetted tub, jets were painted in place. I was told I would be receiving a suite but nothing sweet about the room I received. a in room safe that was thrown in the closet. and no need for a remote the room was so small you could change channels from bed. my feet latterly touched the t.v. stand at the end of the bed and you have to squeeze by to get to the bathroom, the base boards and door trim are scraps pieced together and still have gaps cause they are not long enough. there were other customers in lobby complaining about there room being entered while they were in it with out permission. and staff particularly the night manager is very dis honest. I paid cash and was told my credit card would only be used for a incidental hold of 100 dollars but when I checked my statement there is a charge for 223.08. that is more than my hole stay. when I tried to contact the night manager ( initials R.C.) he showed no interest in even looking it up in there system and hung up on me. I will never stay at another comfort inn. I suggest no one dose either, COMPLETE TRASH! UNPERFESHIONAL! CROOKS!!!

Room Tip: stay away!! this place will ruin your trip.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Travis C
CSHB12, Manager at Comfort Suites Huntington Beach, responded to this review, 11 April 2014

Travellers are raving about these Huntington Beach hotels

San Rafael Ca
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

Construction zone with mattresses and furniture stored on second story corridor facing parking lot and also in below building parking area. WiFI unreliable and very slow. Worn out furniture with desk chairs inappropriate for height of desk. Gouged out table. No mirror in room itself only in bathroom.
First room assigned computer key would not work and maid could not get ventilator to work either.
Try the Super 8 or Howard Johnsons on Beach Blvd instead
Disgusting dump that should not have Comfort Suites logo on it; corporate notified and inspection requested
I am a real business traveller and not someone panning the competition.

Room Tip: Try another hotel
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Robert F
CSHB12, Manager at Comfort Suites Huntington Beach, responded to this review, 18 March 2014

New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

When we booked 3 x rooms we were not informed that the hotel was under renovation. When we arrived my colleagues refused to spend even one night at this property. The hotel was very dirty, the carpets were soiled as was the upholstery on the chairs in the dining area. Part of the floors were ripped up.

Despite being informed they had a 24 hour cancellation the manager Mike refused to refund our bookings for the following 3 nights. Mike advised that he would refund us if he could relet the rooms.

We called later that night under a different name and were told they were sold out. When we asked for Mike for our refund he refused.

This hotel is very dirty and the management dishonest.

Save your money!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank 709debram
Visalia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

This place is in a great location but it is not great at all. Ok...so you may save a little $$$ by staying here but let me tell you it's not worth it. In fact I felt unsafe. They are currently "updating" their rooms but they have a lot of work ahead of them. When our door was shut you could see the light coming thru the edges of the door. My 2 year old escaped from the door...who puts the security bar so low on a door? At one point I tried to open the window a little ...it wouldn't even slide...it was jammed and stuck. As you walk to your room through the hallways it is very very dark and gloomy..I felt like I could be mugged at any moment. There were sketchy people in the parking lot area. Also the construction crew was apparently staying at the motel because in the evening they set up their "hang out" near the covered parking area and boozed it up all night...as well as smoking illegal things if you know what I mean....I had to leave this place and find another location to stay.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Erika J
CSHB12, Manager at Comfort Suites Huntington Beach, responded to this review, 3 March 2014

Del Haven
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

This place was in a great location. There are plenty of stores and places to eat all within walking distance. Went to Knotts Berry Farm, go out the drive and make a left. Want to go to the beach… go out and make a right. All on the main drag. Hotel is also off the 405 by a few blocks. Downtown LA, LAX all simple to get to from this hotel.

The breakfast was spotty… one time they would be out of eggs, next day they were out of waffle mix and so on. Even still you could get something to eat though.

This is a 3 story hotel and the entire 3rd floor is being redone. We were on the second floor and there were a lot of construction noise, dust and so on. The rooms really did need a rehab. The couch and chits in our room were old and really worn. I wanted to see what a new room looked like but none were done yet when we were there.

I would like to come back to this hotel when the rehab was done and give it a second review. If you book here, I would ask for a room on the 3rd floor!!!

Room Tip: Ask for any of the room that have just been redone. They told me the first batch will be ready Feb...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JoefromSJ
CSHB12, Manager at Comfort Suites Huntington Beach, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Dear,,

Lancaster, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

I read very mixed reviews on this hotel but decided to stay there anyway. I can see why the reviews are so mixed. I stayed for one night on Sun 1/19 - Mon 1/20 with my teenage son. We had a King room - he slept on the pull out sofa-bed.
The hotel is undergoing MAJOR renovation. Its quite odd to walk past several rooms that have no furniture to get to your own room. There were several areas around the hotel grounds where old mattresses were piled up, or new carpet was still on huge rolls. There were several 4x6 long lengths of wood right outside our room door.
I see what everyone means by the notices about potential charges for this or charges for that. I almost felt as if I was doing something wrong when I wasn't! I notice saying don't take food from the breakfast, a notice saying we count the towels in the room, a notice on the special key you have to check out to use the gym saying if you don't return it you will be charged $20. I've never even had to check out a special key to use a hotel gym before.
But - our room was "OK". At the end of the day it was $80 inc. taxes - we used the jacuzzi (way too hot by the way) and I used the gym in the morning, we both ate a free breakfast and we both had a room to sleep in, so for the money it was OK.
I had planned to stay here alone but I'm so pleased my son decided to come with me. The area seems a bit "shady" especially after dark. The hotel is surrounded by apartment complexes with old, broken down vehicles parked outside - which makes me think some of the hotel practices I mentioned above are because of this "shady" area.
So I don't go on and on - bottom line is if you are male or travelling with a companion it's "OK" at best. For a female alone, no, I would not have felt safe being there. For the money, it was an OK deal. Would I stay there again? No.
Here's a pic of the gym. The machine that looks like an eleptical - well, not sure what it actually is as I couldn't get it to work. The treadmill is old and the belt is slightly warped. Not a single gym mat or ball to use so unable to do any ab work outs. Was able to get in a 30 min run on the old treadmill and do some upper arm workout with the weights machine.

Room Tip: I followed the advice of others and asked for a room away from the main road. It was quite back the...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
CSHB12, Manager at Comfort Suites Huntington Beach, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Dear,

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. Yes we are doing a major remodeling and Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you provided to make improvements to ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future.