“Great bargain find”

Pete's Mexican Food
Ranked #124 of 643 Restaurants in Huntington Beach
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 1 May 2013

This is a great cheap eats find. A simple little spot in downtown Huntington Beach. Really good food. Really inexpensive. I felt so guilty I ordered more food than I wanted, and then of course, ate it all.
There's nothing fancy here -- a few simple table inside, and a couple of tables on the sidewalk for people watching. But the salsa is great, the people friendly, and everything we ate was really good, and really affordable.
If you want pretense, this is not your place. But good food, nice owners, inexpensive -- you can't go wrong.
A confession -- this was our anniversary dinner date. We chose Pete's over all the fancy spots on the beach -- and we will do it again next year.

Reviewed 21 October 2012

We stopped here for some quick tacos & beer with a group of about 9 and had a good time. It's a small place but the staff were friendly & gave us lots of extra homemade chips. The guacamole was good & people said the crane asada was the best out of the tacos we had. Can't comment on much other food but some of the burritos I saw other folks eating looked great!

Reviewed 27 August 2012 via mobile

Its more an expectation - reality mismatch.

Were there for breakfast. No chorizo - very disappointing. The eggs had eggshells in them and there were more beans than anything in the serving.

Expected authentic Mexican food but got very Americanized mediocre fare.

Reviewed 17 July 2012

On repeated visits eggs not quite cooked and refried beans partially cooked. Coffee dreadful.

Reviewed 26 September 2011

I like Pete's. When you finish eating, and look down at your plate - a big pile of nasty grease is not staring back at you. The seating is limited both inside and out. This is the kind of little spot for low key - low maintenance customers. If you are someone who has lots of needs and like an atmosphere that is very trendy, or up to date - you may want to skip Pete's. But the flavor is good - quac is pretty bland, but I toss in some salsa & love it. Remember where this is - it's a bit of a lunch spot for surfers, and beach goers, and down town employees. It is not a tourist trap, and offers no excitement. I really do like the food, though, and I like to support local businesses