“Perfect romantic getaway full of charm and hospitality!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Idyllwild
Rainbow Inn Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 9 Idyllwild B&B and Inns
Winthrop, Maine
“Perfect romantic getaway full of charm and hospitality!”
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Our stay at The Rainbow Inn was fantastic...wish we had more time to stay and enjoy! From the moment we were greeted by John, the owner, to the moment we reluctantly drove away it was perfection!! We especially enjoyed the large deck overlooking the lovely back yard and wooded area which provided a lovely spot to relax and enjoy a bottle of wine. And I cannot say enough about the delicious breakfast which John prepared and served himself! Not your typical B&B breakfast! Eggs Benedict cooked to order, fresh broiled grapefruit, muffins, a selection of juices and great coffee! I was very impressed and grateful for the gluten free options for muffins!!
We loved the charm of the town and John certainly carries that same ambience with his delightful B&B.
We cannot wait to visit again!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Sunset Room which was wonderful! Quiet, spacious and very clean!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Robin S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Without repeating the reviews of the previous guests, I find it difficult to find other words to describe my stay at the Inn. My visit at the Rainbow Inn did not disappoint and it lived up to its reputation as the #1 place to stay while in Idyllwild.

Room Tip: My husband and I enjoyed staying in the Strawberry Room!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
12 Thank dorothyf417
Winthrop, Maine
Reviewed 3 February 2014

On a spur-of-the-moment trip to Idyllwild, and a first to the mountains of southern California, I discovered the Rainbow Inn. It’s charm was immediately apparent, even before I stepped through the door. Once inside, however, the tastefully rustic sophistication was even more awe-inspiring. The owner….John, who is even more charming than the decor….has decorated with local works of art and crafts, including his own photography, which he humbly downplays.

The rooms are so warm and welcoming, replete with fine linens and robes. I was thrilled to find a mini-fridge….fabulous for wine and cheese storage. The soft music of the bright and spacious guest lounge was so soothing, and the DVD library could go toe-to-toe with RED BOX or NETFLIX!!!

Such a dilemma; stroll the beautiful grounds, go for a hike or use John’s own walking tour map, or walk into town to shop….or stay in with a good book or a DVD…or three?? Regardless of the weather, you’ll never want for something to do or enjoy at this inn.

The breakfast?? I couldn’t believe the feasts he prepared. Beautiful blends of eggs and cheeses and vegetables, warm breads, and fresh fruit and yogurt elegantly presented at a stunning table. I did “borrow” a molasses cookie from the platter he kindly left in the lounge. Thank you, John!!!!

Sitting on the sunny deck, taking in the scenery and listening to the birds sing while enjoying a sumptuous breakfast (including broiled grapefruit…who knew????), is, on its own, indescribably delicious.

Next visit, I’m going for the room with the Jacuzzi!!!! And, while I enjoy being outside as must as possible, I wouldn’t mind a rainy or snowy day which would give me an excuse to watch a DVD (each room has a player) and gaze at the fire in the stove……….

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
14 Thank david m
Long Beach, California
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Although there are a number of lovely places to stay in this quaint mountain town, I found the Rainbow Inn to be the perfect mix of what I needed. The host was accommodating, knowledgeable and appropriately attentive in just the right ways. From the tastefully presented decor throughout, the wonderfully appointed room, and the healthful, fresh breakfasts served, I can't say enough how much I enjoyed my weekend at the inn.

The Rainbow Inn is across Strawberry Creek from the village -- the creek runs through the back of the property adding a unique ambiance. Proximity to the Gastrognome restaurant, Idyllwild Pizza, Joan's restaurant and Higher Grounds coffee house make this spot unbeatable...a short walk everywhere.

John, the owner, even dropped me off at one of the trail heads where I could hike back to the Rainbow...who does that??

Room Tip: Being on a budget, I stayed in the Music Box room at $115 per night which included a full cooked bre...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
13 Thank John S
Claremont, California
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We stayed at the Rainbow Inn for 2 nights last week and were thrilled with the experience. We had originally only booked for one night, but when we arrived, we were so charmed by the inn, we decided to stay another night (and the owner happily obliged). John, the owner, was warm and helpful. The inn feels very "homey", as if you are staying with relatives. The inn is conveniently located less than a mile from the center of Idyllwild. John gave us lots of advice about where to go hiking and even drove us to the top of one of the trails so that our hike was all downhill, and we didn't have to deal with getting a permit for our car. The room itself was spacious enough for all four of us (2 adults, 2 older kids), but be aware that the kids' bed was an air mattress (if that matters to you). The inn even has a large DVD library to choose from, and we enjoyed a couple of movies while there. There is a lovely spacious downstairs area as well (though we didn't use it much). Breakfast was down the hall from our room, and included eggs, yogurt, juice, toast, etc, all freshly prepared. We would definitely recommend this inn to anyone visiting Idyllwild.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank DRBTravels
San Diego, California
Reviewed 22 December 2013

We rented three rooms for our family Christmas weekend recently. Plus we rented the kitchen and dining room one night for our potluck dinner. It was a great experience. The Inn was beautifully decorated for the holidays. The rooms were warm and cozy. My sister and brother took turns enjoying the jacuzzi tub in my sister's room. The visitors lounge was warm and comfortable, and the breakfasts were really good. It was an easy walk into the center of town.

Room Tip: There is one room with a jacuzzi which was a big hit with our family.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
9 Thank Bonnie B
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed 13 November 2013

My new husband and I just recently had our wedding at Rainbow Inn (and I can see a dear friend and guest of ours felt compelled as well to review the Inn below). I can't even begin to express how perfect a venue it was, how wonderful John was as a host, or how fantastic a time all our friends and family had on the site. The Inn itself is cozy, inviting, comfortable and charming. John's breakfasts are absolutely DELICIOUS. Everyone who stayed at the Inn during the wedding reported that the beds were super comfortable and they loved their rooms. John was also unbelievably trusting and gracious in allowing us to decorate and take over the inn for the wedding ceremony and reception--and we had an amazing experience as a result. He was super responsive whenever we had questions and also hooked us up with a phenomenal caterer and florist for the big day. I'm still pinching myself over how beautiful, ideal and fun the entire experience was for us ... and the best part was hearing so many of our guests declare their intentions to come back. The Rainbow Inn definitely makes a case for falling in love with Idyllwild and all that it has to offer. We will definitely return again and again for years to come.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank SPassmore
Also consider these accommodations in or near Idyllwild
Desert Riviera Hotel
#3 of 13 in Idyllwild
Silver Pines Lodge
Silver Pines Lodge
#2 of 13 in Idyllwild

Been to Rainbow Inn Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!