“A hidden German gem in the heart of Idyllwild set among towering pines.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Little Chef in the Forest - CLOSED

Little Chef in the Forest
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: European
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating
Description: Newest restaurant to hit Idyllwild bringing a variety of flavors to tickle the palate.
San Diego, California
“A hidden German gem in the heart of Idyllwild set among towering pines.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2013 via mobile

The little chef offers an amazing taste of Germany in the heart of Idyllwild. Gina the owner welcomes all with a smile. In addition to homemade German fare, Gina offers wonderful salads, American food and a surprisingly extensive vegetarian menu. The Ceaser salad boasts a robust housemade dressing, and the potato pancakes will leave you with a taste of the old world. The restaurant is a true award winning bakery featuring cakes and strudels. The restaursnt boasts one of Idyllwilds largest patios set admist the pines with ample shade. Perhaps the most intriguing for the cost conscious, the Little Chef does not offer beer and wine but lets you bring your own with no corkage fee!

• Visited June 2013

Hemet, California
“Not going back.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2013 via mobile

Hubby and I stopped in for lunch, and I wish we hadn't. The salad dressing was good, but the lettuce wasn't very fresh. He liked his food, but mine wasn't good at all. I believe I ordered the sheppard's pie... waay too much fennel for my taste. Our waitress had a horrible attitude and actually seemed annoyed when my husband asked for a coffee refill (which he never got). The place is cute, but that's the only thing it has going for it.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RKSkwier
bicoastal
“The baked goods alone warrant a visit to the Little Chef”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2013

My family gathered in Idyllwild for the holidays this year, and we reserved a large table at the Little Chef in the Forest for lunch on Christmas Day. The homey restaurant is run by a very talented and vivacious redhead, who creates an impressive array of baked goods for her patrons. I can't even remember what I had for lunch, because all I can think about is the fabulous pie I had for dessert!! I consider myself to be a pie aficionado, and the peach pie was truly among the best I have had in my life. The rest of my family was cheerfully sharing bites of their desserts with other family members, but I just kept uncharacteristically quiet, so I could enjoy every last bite of that pie all by myself. Sorry Mom. It couldn't be helped.

Visited December 2012
Riverside, CA
“Great food, service & atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2012

We dined outside, around 2pm 30 Sep 2012. Perfect weather. Food is great, prices were very reasonable, pay cash and get a bit of a discount. We met the cook who takes great pride in the meals. There was also a guitar soloist singing throughout the time we were dining just loud enough to hear but not to loud to interrupt conversation. I plan on visiting anytime I'm in town.

• Visited September 2012
California
“Mediocre At Best”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2012

Boring breakfast entrees coupled with bad service (including serving the boring food cold). Pancakes dry and bland. Artichoke feta cheese omelette not worth finishing or ever ordering again. Had to beg for coffee and water, even though the place only had a couple of tables occupied. The only thing of note was that it was a gorgeous day and we could eat outside, but that is not a unique experience in this gem of a community so we will find somewhere else to eat Sunday breakfast next time.

• Visited May 2012